How to retire without a huge pension and enjoy it, Part 3

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236295/

Missouri City, TX

Thank you CG.

Think I may have received my last severance check - so will finally REALLY be on our own.
Concerned, but not very worried - DW & I did a great job of saving and investing.

And since I'm now working with our son, there will be more income once we get the rental house complete.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

You sort of have to stay at least somewhat concerned with the economy the way it is these days. I've thought about taking some of the money that used to be getting good interest in a CD and investing it in a rental property. But we are not be able to do the maintenance so I don't know about that.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We thought the same about the investing in property, but really can't afford to tie up our $ for fear of needing it down the road in a pinch. We could not maintain the place ourselves either. Sure wish the interest would amount to something, but doubt it will again in our lifetimes.

Crozet, VA

Hello to everyone. Glad to see some dialog here. I haven't kept up with reading Dave's for some months now, so have many places I need to visit and see what folks have going on. I agree that interest rates are a joke....my gosh, to drop to almost nothing.

Anyway, thought I would share something that may be able to help me have some spare change in my pocket. A friend of mine has had a jewelry shelf in an Antiques Mall for some months. We had discussed renting some space for collectibles and things whenever some space came open. My friend called me last Saturday to say that a small space has come open and it is ours. Yippie....I now have a place where some of the items I have collected over the years has a chance to sell. They certainly weren't selling packed away in my storage shed. For about two years now, I have been attempting to get rid of some the excess that has shown up since we moved here about eight years ago. Since moving in to this very small house, both my husband's parents and my parents have died and we have ended up with a lot of items from their estates......thank God for storage bins.

I decided a few months ago that the house needs a face lift and I want to paint the inside a different color. While researching paints I have come across so many beautiful decorating styles and ideas, that I want to decorate a bit differently than things are now. I will not be making any major furniture purchases or any thing large, just want the wall decor and shelves done a bit differently than now.

I would love to make some money on the items I am putting in our small space to help on painting costs. I am just really thrilled to have the opportunity to get involved in buying and selling again....I did it some years back but haven't done it since living here. I am sure it is a whole new ball game now. I have had a very good week getting things together to go in the space and then found out this morning there is a possibility of renting a space twice the size of this one......hope that works out because I haven't made a dent in things that can possibly sell.

Anyway, just wanted to share this exciting venture with you folks. Please wish me success.

I agree with those saying that upkeep on rental properties is a lot of work. My parents were land lords back in the day and there always seemed to be something or the other that they needed to tend to. My hubby and I thought about it at one point and decided it really was too much work to take on.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend......yahoo!!! The pictures are of the space currently with only one trip with items there so far. I have a tea pot collection that I plan to take as soon as I locate where it is stored which will add some good color to the small space. Thanks for indulging me ladies.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw Thumbnail by rubyw
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Best wishes, dear Ruby!! I have thought along the same lines, but the monthly cost of the space plus the percentage they get seems high,(at least in this area), so I have been reluctant to venture there. Maybe with a friend I could do it.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

How exciting for you, Ruby. I'm envious. ^_^ I used to dabble in antiques and collectibles quite a bit and had booths in antique malls in a couple of places we have lived. I miss that! DH and I enjoyed auctions and estate sales and, of course, garage sales and the like ... we definitely needed an outlet. lol. There is money to be made if the terms of the rent are good. And it's nice that you have someone to share the costs (and the fun) with.

Crozet, VA

Hi ladies.....Jan, yes I can identify with the reluctance of paying high rents and having no guarantee a return on your investment. As C'ville Gardener, what is your name by the way? hahaha....as she is saying there is money to be made......I too spent some years in the business, dabbling....not very knowledgeable, but know a little of what I picked up by being around others who were also dabbling.....anyway Jan, visit some places and get rent prices, talk to friends who might go in with you....check it out. I just know that after some years of having one basic responsiblity and that being a baby sitter to my grand children, I am now getting back in to something that I like that is adult related. My babysitting duties will be for two more years and then I will have to reinvent myself, but am getting a foot in a bit early by doing this.

I was super surprised at the high prices on items in the store, but then searched on ebay and Ruby Lane Antiques, and see that most of the vendors are pricing what they are selling for elsewhere. As I said, since moving here eight years ago two households which owned many beautiful things have been part of our inheritance. I dont need, nor will I ever use all the items that have come to us this way....there are certain things I display with honor and because I particularly love them.....the other things of monetary value, I would rather have the money than the item...

Jan, I don't know if you have taken the time to research any of the pieces that you inherited and are dealing with or not. I do not feel as though it is a betrayal to sell loved ones items, they gave them as a gift to do what we see best. Heck, Craig's list and local papers is another way to sell things. I have used Craig's List in the past to run ads for clutter items and made a bit of money doing it. I am hoping that the shop space will give me a chance to get rid of more at a quicker rate.

C'ville, I would love to pick your brain....what sold well for you? What advice do you have for someone just getting started.......We can start another thread on this topic, rather than using this thread and take over....don't want to step on anyone's toes.....Anyway.......think I will start another topic....will let you good folks know what I start.....I would love to hear others ideas, tips and advice.......

Thanks ladies...

Ruby

Crozet, VA

Alrighty, I started another thread on buying and selling collectibles. Hope that anyone interested will come over and chat a bit. I am all ears.....and ain't bad at talking a lot either.....

Have a great Sunday all.

Ruby

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Good luck ruby- can you post a link to your thread?
Steve and I sell crafts at one of our local craft shows and make a bit extra. The Ft. Richie show has 4 shows a year, those are the only ones we do. The entrance is cheap only $25 and we usually make a few hundred at each show and that covers expenses for more materials, wood, thread, glue, etc. with enough left over for a little extra spending.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That sounds great, haighr. You do nice work also.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Here's the thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1306042/

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Our Farmers' Market was only charging sellers $50 for the entire season when they started four years ago, but this year it's gone to $200. They do provide a long table, 2 chairs and a canopy which they set up for you. If you don't want the latter, I think it's still $50, maybe a little more.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks Jan, it is a lot of fun and provides us with hours of things to do each day.
Wow $200 seems a lot, but if you are selling I guess they need something back. Fortunately ours only costs $25 each show and if we make $400+ it is really a nice profit for us.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

The Farmers' Market season runs from late May until late October so it's 20 Saturdays total, I think. I guess that works out to $10 per time but you do have to pay for the entire season whether you are there or not. Of course, the city has to provide staff to set up the spaces, take down, monitor things, etc. so they have some costs they need to cover. Most of the merchants seem to be doing quite well. I do enjoy Farmers' Markets.

Crozet, VA

In the past few summers my husband has set up at our local Farmers Market to sell some of our excess plants. He doesn't make a killing by any means, but it is a good way to get rid of extra plants and he is a big socializer so enjoys meeting the town folk. Due to mobility issues I work in the back ground. I have purchased inexpensive small pots and send house plants for him to sell. He hasn't decided how often he will attend this year. Thing about selling the plants is that they sell best while in bloom, and blooming season for most are short lived.

The first year we did this I had a lot of leftover house plants and needed to find winter homes for some of them. We use our pharmacy quite often and are in and out quite frequently. We set up a deal with the owners to put some of my plants in the front windows which until then had been bare. About once a month I will sell one or two of them. I tell you, the plants in that window love the conditions and do really well. Might be something about semi-neglecting plants and they will thrive because many of the plant in the window do better than the ones I have here at home.

We haven't yet decided how involved we will be in our farmers market his season because so far three out of four weekends during May, we have other plans. Anyway....again, we haven't made a fortune doing this but it always thrills me when I have sold a plant. You folks have a great week coming up.

Ruby

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I am still wanting to set up at the Farmers Market and sell plants, but so far I haven't been able to get it together for that. Maybe one of these days. There are a few vendors who sell plants but not many unless there are more this year. I haven't been able to go the past two weeks. This morning it is very windy and threatening rain so that will cause problems at the market. But that's life, I guess.

I hope everyone has been safe from the terrible tornadoes and storms that have been so prevalent lately.

Crozet, VA

Hi C'ville Gardener - Sorry, but I have forgotten your first name....anyway, thought I would comment a bit on selling at a Farmer's Market. This is second hand advice since it is actually my hubby who has actually gone and set up a table to sell plants. I do some of the back ground work such as potting up house plants for him to take.

Some of the things he has learned over the years of selling is that for one thing....folks want to see plants in bloom. Most people are attracted to the blooms and unless an avid gardener don't know that the dead looking plants sitting somewhere are perfectly fine, just without bloom at a certain time.....So, you want to take plants that are in bloom if at all possible. Be educated to the particular plant such as light and water needs, because a lot of folks are going to ask questions about it. Check out stores and other vendors to see what things are selling for in order to set your own prices. You might want to invest in a tent canopy because is get terribly hot sitting in the open sun without some type of shelter. Do things to draw attention to your area such as bright poster boards or banners about your items. There is a wealth of information on line that you might want to check out in order to get ideas on how to attract folks to you instead of someone else selling the same thing.....presentation goes a long way.

If you decide to do this, I wish you good luck. You are going to have to be a people person and enjoy the interaction....so many folks use Farmers Markets as their day to socialize.....again, good luck and please feel free to ask if you have further questions......

Have a great weekend all.

Ruby

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the input, Ruby. I am a people person but also a caregiver so I'm not sure I have the time. I'm familiar with our Farmers Market and most of the vendors/sellers there. The really nice thing about ours is that they provide a canopy, long table and a couple of chairs. I would love to do this but who knows if I'll be able to. I haven't even gotten to go to the FM yet this year and it has been underway for about a month (rained out once) ... but maybe soon. I have to get my raw honey and certain other things there. I was going every week. Things change though. You just never know.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Bumping this in case anyone has anything to add. :)

Missouri City, TX

Well - finally did it - will turn 70 this month so made the trip to the local Social Security Admin office to start the process.

Should be OK going forward.

Working an average of 4 days a week on the "black house" so have regained muscle tone and rearranged the weight. Probably will take another 18+ months to complete, but loving every moment.

Had a master brick mason look at the house - his first comment, "I have never seen such a poor job of brickwork in 40+ years". Suggested we replace the entire front of the house with the limestone we planned to use for the entry portion - and as time & money permit replace the rest of the brick.

Here is a picture of the "mess". Where the front door was will now be an office, since we found the double entry doors and centered them in that wall.

Thumbnail by Bubba_MoCity
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Another of life's milestones. That's quite a project but will undoubtedly provide you with much more exercise (!) and a good feeling of accomplishment when it's finished. It's sad what all too often passes as "workmanship" these days. I guess it can't really be called workmanship and it certainly isn't craftsmanship. I take it that's your retirement home? Or is it a flip project?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Congrats, Bubba!!Quite a project.

Missouri City, TX

It will be a rental for many years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images