Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gardeningman
Kingman, KS

March 26, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9462433

A great substitute for Burning Bush is Ninebark 'Summer Wine'. I have one in a corner on the south side of my house. It doesn't like a lot of intense heat here in South-central Kansas, but it does fine with afternoon shade. It has a nice dark burgundy-green color throughout the spring and summer unlike the plain boring green color of the Burning Bush. It also turns ruby red in the fall, and the color lasts longer than that of Burning Bush. My Ninebark 'Summer Wine' stays bright red through the end of December! It is also drought tolerant once established and insect resistant.
Some people report that The Ninebark 'Summer Wine' is susceptible to powdery mildew, but I think that is unique to those climates that are favorable to powdery mildew. I have not seen any powdery mildew on my Ninebark, mainly because the climate in my part of South-central Kansas isn't favorable to it.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9462489

Thanks for your report, Gardeningman!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Should be outlawed in the whole US JuneyBug 9 Mar 8, 2011 9:01 AM
Had no idea! Sundownr 17 Mar 7, 2011 2:00 PM
It should burn in h... quiltjean 1 Mar 7, 2011 8:21 AM
Invasive species Notill 9 Mar 11, 2011 11:40 AM
Dwarf Burning Bushes from Stark Bro's Th d94114 3 Mar 18, 2011 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America