Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Container Gardening: What is the most unusual thing you've used as a container?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 166, Views: 1,990
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9462581

I saw the pumpkin thread in this forum and started wondering what different items people have used as planters beyond the usual store bought pots?

This is an old coal scuttle.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9462777

Here's a few.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla   Thumbnail by tapla   Thumbnail by tapla   Thumbnail by tapla   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2013
1:17 AM

Post #9463483

Good ones! What is planted in the acorn cap (I believe it is)?

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9464456

Portulacaria afra (mini jade/ elephant bush). It's daddy:

Thumbnail by tapla

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2013
2:38 AM

Post #9464638

I like that. I've had P. afra variegated but not that large. That's a nice specimen.

A few more ... last one is a cell phone holder:

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

snowtop
Orange, CA

March 28, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9464893

Very clever and attractive. Whaat did you do about drainage in lovely sugar bowl and what is the fourth container? Thanks for sharing these good ideas.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9464976

I put succulents in the sugar bowl so I didn't have to worry much about drainage. So far, so good.

#1 - top half of an old fairy lamp
#2 - lidless antique sugar bowl
#3 - old enamel sink strainer
#4 - broken watering can (plastic with holes poked in the bottom)
#5 - cell phone holder
snowtop
Orange, CA

March 28, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9465209

THanks - I'm getting ideas.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

March 30, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9466920

Al, that bonsai is sublime.
Lollisa
Palm Springs, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 30, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9467199

Mine aren't all that unusual but I like the look of them.
Haworthia in a snail shell
Sempervivums in the top of small shell shaped bird bath
Sedums in a dog themed bird feeder pictured in front of my dog

Thumbnail by Lollisa   Thumbnail by Lollisa   Thumbnail by Lollisa      

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2013
12:46 AM

Post #9467307

Thanks for posting those. I like the look of them too. The Haworthia in the snail shell is particularly interesting. Well, they all are. Nice idea for the sedums as well.

Some sedums in part of an old lamp.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9469587

I will use anything that will hold soil and take a drainage hole. We keep the drill ready. When it comes to large, deep containers, we add a false bottom (my favorite is a thick sheet of styrofoam from the craft store). It makes them much lighter weight and keeps them moveable. I love the freedom of movement and the ability to put out the showiest where everyone can seen them.
Marcia
gmun
Chester Springs, PA

April 6, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9473932

On a real budget - some old shopping bags sealed with mod podge (enough to last them the summer), duct-taped a plastic bag inside with a few holes through the bottom of both bags. All my plants were small, intended for containers anyway, but you can see from the photos they did work. This was my first summer (2010) trying veggies so I was pleased.

Last year I grew some 'Lil Sweet' Cantaloupe in the patio-ice-bucket containers from the dollar store. Have also used plastic wastepaper bins from Ikea with holes drilled in the bottom.

Not as pretty as all the photos above, but they have worked for growing some veggie plants :-)

Thumbnail by gmun   Thumbnail by gmun   Thumbnail by gmun   Thumbnail by gmun   Thumbnail by gmun

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9474331

Nice. I have lined vinyl or canvas bags from the Dollar Store as well. Poke holes in the bottom for drainage. They can be hung up, if desired, and the handles make them easy to move around too. I use Dollar Store styrofoam ice buckets to grow some of my mints.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9474676

Gmun, I like your attitude!

Marcia
Lollisa
Palm Springs, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 8, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9475899

Bags now a days are so colorful and creative, gives you a chance to easily and cheaply change your look. Wouldn't even need to repot - use a bag similar size - line up the drainage holes and a whole new look is born.
Gmun, Share a picture of what you plant in the Abercrombie bag - you can't go wrong with that one ; )

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9484430

I enjoyed this post. My kids accuse me of thinking of everything as a potential flower pot. I love the cantaloupe planters. I am going to try that on my dark brown deck this summer. They will get the extra heat they demand and that my hibiscus enjoy.
I have drilled holes in terra cotta and some ceramic planters using a masonry bit and water. and if the ceramic planter is glazed, put a frame of masking tape around the drill site on both sides to prevent cracking. A hole here will shorten the life of your ceramic as water will infiltrate the clay and eventually break it down.
I have planted in Boo Buckets from McDonalds. They gave out a really nifty purple one one year. and the plastic jack o'lanterns you get for halloween bags. Plant a couple up with small chrysanthemums and you have a nifty halloween decoration that won't rot.
Martha

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9484532

Very interesting (and thrifty) ideas. I usually lose a couple of my clay pots over the winter from freezing and thawing. Or just the fact that they absorb so much rainwater and then crack and break. So I save the pieces and use them elsewhere. I'm really fond of styrofoam ice buckets, plastic wastebaskets or carry-alls as well.

This is a kiddie swimming pool I bought for $10 on clearance at the end of the season a few years ago. Makes a great raised garden bed. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener         

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9485497

I tried a tree stump planting one year with sedum 'Angelina' but I don't think I had enough soil in it and it really didn't thrive.
Martha

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9498756

I have been waiting for the path to be finished so I could install this twig wreath as a sempervivum planter in the garden.
Its a neat trick if I can pull it off.Plants arrive next week.

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836      

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9498804

Good idea. I have lots of Semps. I think I'll try that. :)

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9498810

I bought the wreath in The ChristmasTree Shopp.I expect TuesdayMorning or florests supplies might have them.XMAS tREE Shope was less than 5 dollars.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9498854

Sounds good. Sometimes I pick up wreaths at the thrift stores. They don't always have them, but occasionally

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9498857

Sounds like a plan.This one was just the right diameter.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9498869

We have used so many different types of containers over the past few years. The 35 gallon laundry tubs on our back deck (about 24 inches deep) are this year really beginning to deteriorate. The plastic is becoming very brittle.

I think if you are a grower, you can grow in anything. However, the containers sometimes have a shorter life than the plant.
Marcia

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9498873

True. I'm sometimes torn between inexpensive ones that have to be replaced more often and more expensive but a longer life. This year I'm using some grow bags but have no idea what their lifespan will be.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9498887

Lat year we purchased some VERY large double walled pots, about 24 inches in diameter by almost 30 inches high. On these containers I always use a false bottom, usually a 1 inch circle of styrofoam from the craft store. They are just that much lighter to move, but still deep enough for big stuff.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9498899

What will you (or have you) planted in them?

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9500038

In the largest pots, we put in a tomato or two, a black petunia and a trailing coleus. the trellis was outside the pot.

In a slight smaller pot were caladiums with a heuchera in the center. Also a forest of calla lilies in another large pot.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9520175

What a neat thread, you all are very creative!! Last year we had a new septic system installed. After the installation, they left a (new!) piece of black plastic pipe, diameter is roughly 36", about 20" tall. It reminded my husband of one of the old tire planters, so he saved it for me. I didn't really know where I wanted to put it so it just took up space last year. This year I ripped out a bunch of ditch lillies to make way for my new rose bad and Voila! It fits right in there perfectly, and I don't have to worry about having to mow around it. Now, to figure out what should go in it... But that's the fun part. :)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9520273

What good fortune, jaime! Hope you can post a picture when it's planted. :-)

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9520318

I definitely will post pics. I'm hoping to get some new plants for it this weekend. :)
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9532977

This is actually part of a ceiling fan.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9533190

That's very clever. Lots of interesting succulents in there. I use the glass shades from lamps. Turned upside down, they make nice "bowls" for planting. And conveniently have a drainage hole already in them.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9589572

There are so many great ideas here and am enjoying the creativity each of you have shared and hope you will continue to do so.

This old blue-speckled melamine bowl dates from the 1980's when it was purchased new at a flea market. My late Mother had several similar bowls, different sizes and colors, and actually picked this one out. It was my favorite bowl, just the right size to sit on the porch and string beans. Over time, a hairline crack developed in the bottom and decided last year fill it with Semps and small Sedums. There's a matching blue butterfly ornament for a bit of whimsy and a Scotch Bonnet shell from North Carolina's Outer banks.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2013
2:04 AM

Post #9589716

Thanks for reminding me about this thread, Fruity. That is lovely. I have a bowl exactly like that except in the brown shades (bad shot of it from underneath since it sits up on the hanging pot rack). No crack though. I have a bowl obsession. I collected old wooden bowls for awhile. In fact I just found one in rough condition that I've taken outside for planting as soon as I drill a drainage hole.

Another shot of the old coal scuttle this year. The Semps are about to need thinning again. The old boots will be planted as soon as I can get to it - another thing awaiting drainage holes. Here are some boot ideas someone offered on another thread.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=556&q=Old boot planter&oq=Old boot planter&gs_l=img.12..0.5000.13890.0.16234.16.9.0.7.7.0.391.1407.1j7j0j1.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.18.img.rSdfeG_bH2Y#hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Old boot planter&oq=Old boot planter&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.46808.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0.0..1c..17.img.uaDar89qtiw&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.eWU&fp=fdff5c2139a511d1&biw=1024&bih=656

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9589887

I am impressed Fruit! My folks retired to NC 23 years ago and had a beach place for about 15 of those years. All those years down there and I was the only one of my entire family to find a Scotch Bonnet on the beach! while on vacation from MA no less. I think your dish garden is beautiful. I use old ceramic mixing bowls when I can find them for not too much money at a yard sale.
Martha
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9606157

I love this thread it is just too fun. What imagination everyone has. I have been told this is part of the underneath of a car. I think it is the axle? I have had it for years hence the rust coming thru. I like rusty metal things so it is right up my alley. Now the bowl part is kind of shallow so depending on what you plant determines the amount of watering needed.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9606362

That's a great piece, happ. I'm fond of rust in the garden. I'm hunting for my pictures. I know I have some somewhere.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9606617

Hope you find them, I love looking at other stuff.
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
3:23 AM

Post #9606775

this is an old metal colander that I found at a yard sale, it's great for lettuce

Thumbnail by cindyeo

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9606809

That is nifty. Colanders seem to be just about perfect for container gardening. Is that an old metal stool underneath?

This is an old enamel dishpan that had rusted through on the bottom so it already had a convenient drainage hole of sorts. It fit nicely into the old bentwood chair and made a "raised planter" once I removed the damaged seat.

Still looking for the rusty rooster, happ. :(

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2013

Post #9606907

Too funny with the colander and the lettuce, that is a fun idea.
Oh love the chair, dang wish I would of that about that a little while back got rid of a chair.
Here is an old trike got it at a car swap meet with DH, should of seen his face when I came walking back with this old rusty trike. My DGD use to try to ride it...

Thumbnail by happgarden

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9606917

You can grow, cut, wash, and drain your lettuce all in that same colander. :)

Luv the trike. This is not mine but in a friend's yard.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9606936

Saw this on the water garden tour, this garden was so fun, this lady had this statue of a chicken and she thought it looked drunk so...she built the little building which is suppose to be a take on a mens club theme except covered the top in hens and chicks and made it the rooster club.

Second she did a whole theme about wizard of oz...she lives on the Kansas side of Kansas City...first the bike and look at the yellow bricks below, and see toto in the basket, then you followed a path and she had red heels like Dorothys, then of course the witch running into the tree, parts of a tin man, like an oil can, can't remember it all but was so much fun.

Lastly she had these last two items a watering can and a baby buggy

Last pic is the top of the rooster building...too cute

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9607028

Those are fun indeed, happ. I have been looking for a old bike that's not a lot of $ and also old wheelbarrow, etc. I've seen them at many yard sales ... until I started looking for them and now can't find one anywhere. Sheesh.
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9607068

Under the colander is just an inverted plastic pot. I put it up there to keep the lettuce away from the bunnies. But actually they never touch my lettuce in the ground, they just eat my flowers! But I keep it elevated just in case.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9607390

That is too funny about the lettuce vs the flowers. We use to have a zillion rabbits and then something happened and we didn't have any for years and years. Now I am seeing a few again.

I have an old old wheel barrel that I plant in. this is a 'new' old wheel barrel the other got so bad it collapsed...rofl. The tire was flat for years but when everything under it rotted I had to get another.

I have been looking for years for an old wooden ladder, I used one for a trellis up until it rotted so bad it couldnt stand up any more, but like you if I find one I can't afford it or I can't find one at all...
lonejack
Longview, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2013
2:37 AM

Post #9618039

Hi Friends,
Here is a picture, taken in June, of a planter I have been using for a couple of years.
It is a combination of planter and wicking container.
I use a clothes hamper from Big Lots - turn it upside down - cut the bottom out, (save the bottom,) - put a plastic bag inside - place a 3/4" water pipe diagionally from top to bottom; with a water hole drilled approximately 12" from top; with a cap on bottom - fill with soil to approximately 4" from top - mix a large cup of gypsum, "Soil Sweet," - add a cup of 10/10/10 fertilizer to a knee high stocking and coil around in a pocket in the center of the top. - pull the plastic over the soil. - cut a couple of holes in the saved bottom for plants and replace the bottom. - cut holes in the plastic bag and insert plants.
I have a drip system that waters this 30 minutes a day with a 2 gallon/hour dripper in the top of the water pipe.
I should include a later picture, the planter has really filled out, you can hardly see the hamper.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2013 1:39 AM

This message was edited Aug 1, 2013 1:40 AM

Thumbnail by lonejack

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2013
2:45 AM

Post #9618046

Clever use of that clothes basket. Yes, please do show a later picture, if you can. I imagine it looks like one solid mass of flowers now. That would be beautiful.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9618246

Yes please post.

Closet I come to something like that is actually 3 pot planter my Mom bought me, but it is a planter, but pretty cool if you can afford to plant it...rofl. I wait until Sams or Cosco puts out their bags of bulbs because I can afford them.

I am sure you all can come up with a way to build one out of unique things.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9618307

One of my fence hangings.

Larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9618322

Are those caladiums in the 3 pot planter, happ?

Very sweet, Larkie. Do you have more?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9618481

Those are too funny Larkie, my Mom gave me a neon white pair, now I know what to do with them...,. ;)

I'll send you a pic of it tonight of the pots.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9618525

These are not unusual, but a few of containers.

Thumbnail by Larkie   Thumbnail by Larkie   Thumbnail by Larkie      

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9618532

Those are great. Luv roosters and chickens ... and succulents. :) The little turtle is so sweet ... perfect planted with the little semp.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9618763

Thanks..

Larkie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9619302

Well my intentions were good about sending a pic, but it didn't happen life got in my way... but will send a pic this weekend. You know sometimes I forget the some of the things I have potted up are unusual cause they have been potted like that forever...rofl. They become normal or at least as normal as I get.. ;)

I have hen and chicks in an old fashioned chicken feeder which I forgot about.
Love the little turtle he is a cutie. I just bought a little probably 1950's bird planter might be big enough for a minature african violet or something like that t t reminds me of your turtle.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9619406

We'll wait. ;)

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2013
1:55 AM

Post #9636851

A week ago I went nuts with an ecneveria and sedum order.The other websites Succulent and Cacti posters are terrible enablers
I had this sculpture and always wanted to repourpose it.I went downhill from there scrounging for anything to plant the Youngs and Avant Gardens order in.
Semp Red Lion gleaned from the garden
Wire teacups,door prize at an event
Sculpture weighs 30 pounds
All tender succs in the house
Sedum Coppertone,echeveria Elegans Blue

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2013
2:13 AM

Post #9636854

Some of those are really stunning. Nice work.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9636892

Thanks.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9637631

I love succulents in pots, they are so full of character! Nice pots ge, but I don't want any 30 pound pots...rofl. Some of my ee pots weigh enough!

I was sitting at my sisters and it dawned on me I didn't show you all the 3 tier pots. My Mom had also bought one for my sister and she has different color caladiums in hers but I used her shovel to pull them back so you could see the pots and how they are stacked.

Also here are my hens and chicks in a chicken feeder I just started them a month or so ago so they are not very full yet. I want to get some different varieties but guess I will have to wait until next year to get more.

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden         

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9637653

I love the succulents too.. I just wish I had more hardy ones, I have several but would like more.. Any suggestions?

Larkie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9637672

Wow! You have problems with overwintering in zone 8? I have problems in zone 5, we have some normal hens and chicks but most of mine I bring in during the winter. If you can bring in one or two at least you will have those to start the spring with if they don't survive. Wish I could help with zone 8, wish I was in zone 8...LOL

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2013
12:55 AM

Post #9637783

The chicken feeder is great, happ! And complete with a rooster to boot. :)

Larkie, you should be able to grow quite a few succulents. What other kinds do you have? Some of the aloes are fairly cold hardy. And there are some smaller agaves that do very well in pots. One of my faves is Agave univittata 'Splendida'. It makes a nice compact rosette that's variegated. (I have a thing for variegated plants.) I leave mine out year around here in zone 7a. In fact, I think it originally came from Georgia.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2013
1:28 AM

Post #9637785

What an impressive tiered caladium display.
Chicken feeder planter is neat.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2013
2:55 AM

Post #9640645

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener   Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener      

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2013
4:30 AM

Post #9640667

Very nice collection.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9640875

Sure is,, Interesting,,

I learned from my grandmother when I was a child, that if it will hold dirt, plant something in it..

Larkie

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9640910

Grandmothers are smart like that. :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9640968

I saw a whole display one time of miniature african violets planted in english floral tea cups, I thought that was just a great display like yours Cville.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2014
12:00 PM

Post #9750625

This "was" an ash tray made from a small cyprus slab.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2014
12:02 PM

Post #9750626

Better picture.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2014
12:05 PM

Post #9750630

Funny one.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2014
12:09 PM

Post #9750636

Love it! I wanted to order one of these ladies for my Euphorbia medusa but so far, my thrifty-mindedness (er, cheapness) won't let me.

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2014
12:22 PM

Post #9750647

More funny ones.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2014
7:33 AM

Post #9751814

Just popping in to say this is a great thread.
I am inspired to haunt more junkshops.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2014
8:09 AM

Post #9751841

Thanks. Glad you are enjoying the thread.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2014
1:07 PM

Post #9752047

These two have never been planters, but they have been in planters. Meet Bjorn and Sven, my garden gnomes from IKEA in their Christmas attire.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2014
2:19 PM

Post #9752103

Oh those are great! Welcome Bjorn, Sven, and gardenmart. :-D)))
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2014
4:19 PM

Post #9752164

I have wanted to make some head planters, but haven't broken down and buy some molds.
I have been looking at ideas on Pinterest.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg   Thumbnail by plantsforpeg         

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2014
1:54 PM

Post #9753581

I like the sempervivums planted in the crocs. I have an old pair that could be used for that come spring.
Martha
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2014
6:17 AM

Post #9753957

love the drift wood planter.
never thought about finding a mold for the heads...hummmm... ;)
gmun
Chester Springs, PA

January 23, 2014
11:17 PM

Post #9754471

I haven't been on this thread since I posted my 'thrifty' bags - so many cool ideas from everyone.

And a real longing for spring and summer in the middle of this bitter cold! I think I'll focus on planning a garden, reminds me of a quote... (just looked it up):

"To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow"
~ Audrey Hepburn

It's been a while...this site always cheers me up. :-)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2014
8:52 AM

Post #9754709

I have not done this but saw it and I guess the bright color might actually talk me into using a tire. plus these others i love and the birds will be hanging from my pergola since i want it tropical and i think these are too cool. hope i am not breaking any rules because i have not done this yet but found them.

the last one really looks southwest clay to me.
anyone ever used a tire to make a big concrete planter form?

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2014
10:45 AM

Post #9754773

What creative uses for old tires! I used to make planters from stacked tires painted white. I don't think mine looked as good as those though. :)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2014
10:34 PM

Post #9774796

My favorite - a recycled weber grill. I used both the top and the bottom for a fairy garden and a gnome home!

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee         

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2014
7:16 AM

Post #9774912

Oh, I like that. Very creative, Dee! ♥
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2014
7:20 AM

Post #9774916

What a good idea. So darn cute.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2014
2:05 PM

Post #9775890

Here are a couple of my seashell gardens. The 1st one is about 4 inches long & the 2nd is about 6 inches long.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer         

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2014
2:27 PM

Post #9775909

Love shells and love that! :)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2014
10:13 PM

Post #9776188

The shells are great. I may have to go down to the sea shell shop in Morro Bay and pick up a nice big shell!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2014
12:24 PM

Post #9776552

I would love to see what you do with seashells, Dee.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2014
2:20 PM

Post #9776617

Domehomedee wrote: ...to the sea shell shop

Say that three times, fast! ;)

Button, those are so cool, I love them!

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2014
8:08 AM

Post #9778685

Button,
What flower show was that? I am about to enter the Boston Flower Show but have not got truly unusual containers for this. Plants are on their own for cuteness I guess.
Martha
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2014
6:50 PM

Post #9779136

It was the Harrisburg, Pa flower show.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2014
6:32 PM

Post #9784339

Thanks. My plants are all in flower pots and a couple of succulents are in these nifty black ceramic bowls. I will be searching out interesting containers at the show next week. Boston Flower Show opens on Wednesday, March 12. This is where I will be most of the week next week. Hope some of you can make it!
Martha
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2014
7:01 PM

Post #9784355

Oh I bet the Boston garden show is nice, wish it wasn't quite so far away...lol.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2014
1:25 AM

Post #9784460

Sounds interesting. :)
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2014
5:28 PM

Post #9785130

I went to the Phila. Flower Show last Thursday & was able to find some charming mini succulents for thesea shells.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2014
8:14 PM

Post #9785248

I want to see your shells when they're done. I told my hubby I wanted to go to Morro Bay for my birthday and go to the shell shop and then dinner at one of the seafood restaurants. So we're talking to some friends and he tells them about this and she says "Oh, I love the shell shop, last time I went in there I was talking to the guy and asking him what happened to all his REALLY expensive shells, you know the ones, they were like $1200.00 dollars. And I'm like no no now you're scaring him.
We have a lot of succulents in the local nurseries here. In fact I even sell a few at my "plant sales", I had one today and made $75.00, that will keep me in potting soil for a while.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2014
3:56 AM

Post #9785349

That sounds like a lot of fun. I loved growing succulents in CA and had quite a few containers. Not nearly as many here.

I want to see pictures as well, Buttooner. And yours too, Dee.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2014
6:06 AM

Post #9794469

What a great thread! I have so many ideas now! Thanks everyone!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2014
1:24 PM

Post #9794780

OK, Joyce ... do you have any containers now? I'm so impatient! ;-)

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2014
5:28 PM

Post #9794930

Have some boots that I planted up with hens and chicks. Planted begonias in a picnic basket last year but nothing as exciting as what you all are posting here!

By the way, what is that lovely bloom above your name?

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2014
3:20 AM

Post #9795158

Thank you. The bloom is Hellebore 'Pink Parachutes'. It's one thing that has made it okay over the winter - although some of the leaves are quite damaged.

I've yet to get my boots planted. They've set out there for awhile and I was thinking hens and chicks as well or some other succulent. Did you drill any holes in them for drainage or are they okay without doing that?

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2014
7:12 AM

Post #9795960

LOL! The boots were so worn out that the sole had started to separate from the top so I had automatic drainage!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2014
7:14 AM

Post #9795963

lol. Well, maybe I'll just drill a hole in each sole to be on the safe side. I don't know that they'd hold water for very long anyway.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2014
11:02 AM

Post #9796125

I wonder if I could talk my hubby out of those ancient hiking boots. I think he would more likely erect a shrine for them, LOL.
I haven't made time to start my shell planter but I'm going to drill a hole in it with my dremel tool. I have to many things on my plate and it seems like someone is always adding more.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2014
2:01 PM

Post #9801282

Took pix of a bunch of seashell gardens today.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2014
2:08 PM

Post #9801285

More pix

Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2014
2:09 PM

Post #9801287

And more.

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2014
2:11 PM

Post #9801291

More,

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2014
2:13 PM

Post #9801294

2nd picture if of some of the plants I am cultivating to make more seashell gardens.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer         

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2014
4:30 PM

Post #9801373

Those are all wonderful. I've got to get some shells planted. ♥

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2014
6:34 PM

Post #9801477

OK Buttoneer, I'm impressed!
They are sooo cute. I am now going to have to search through my shells for appropriate "planters".
You also inspired me to finish my birthday shell garden. Here are the pics.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2014
6:44 PM

Post #9801485

I have to share this with you guys too. This is one of those "mini" aloes blooming (now), at least I think it's an aloe by the bloom. The bloom is huge compared to the plant, who' da thunk!
This is one of my tufa pots that I used half an exercise ball as the mold.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2014
3:52 AM

Post #9801673

Your planters are fab-u-lous! I do like aloes and when they bloom, they are quite showy. Nice, Dee. Very nice.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2014
10:14 AM

Post #9801953

Guys those shell planters are beautiful... ;( no oceans or shells here sadly... ;(
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2014
12:35 PM

Post #9802072

Love ur shells & planters, Dee. Thanks for sharing.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2014
8:01 AM

Post #9825111

I am going to plant succulants in this chandelier and of course put it over the outside dining table. When I get it done I will post but we are in the low 40's at night so I am waiting. Going to do the string of pearls, burros tail, have some string of bananas, gonna have to figure out the rest. Our city has a put out by the curb "free" day. So people just stick stuff out there and you can just pick them up. That is how I got the chandelier. I have another chandelier under the pergula and it has solar lights in it. I have seen them at garage sales and

First pic is from the top view, I imagine when we are sitting at the table we will see the next pic which is the bottom view. It is not hanging so I just turned it upside down in the chair.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2014
8:40 AM

Post #9825146

Very sweet. I'm glad you thought o turn the saucers over so they could be seen better from underneath. Nice touch!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2014
9:52 AM

Post #9825225

Yeah gives a better view when sitting at the table. Some people put candles in the cups which I imagine is really pretty at night if the cups are china and glow.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2014
6:43 PM

Post #9825650

Love the chandelier. What a fun project. That's something I could probably find at one of the local thrift shops.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2014
7:58 AM

Post #9826018

Just paint, glue, and plant or use candles.

I still am going to do sea shell planters, I love those.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2014
8:37 AM

Post #9826043

I've got so many projects going now. I bought some canvas boxes on sale from Dick Blick Art Supplies and I'm decorating them. I'm working on some cement fountains, I say some because this last one didn't come out just right so I'm rethinking and starting over. And I'm also working with my laminator and making butterfly jewelry. I'm selling some of this stuff at a craft boutique next Saturday.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2014
8:06 PM

Post #9834648

Hope nobody minds my popping in.

I was just remembering a vegetable garden we had years ago in the tiny enclosed yard/patio of a town house we were renting. In addition to in-ground plants we wanted some containers.

My husband spotted some really cool-looking round tubs one day on his way home. They were made from wooden slats with rubber bottoms and were stacked next to the trash of a small factory. They were a perfect size so he asked if he could have them. Apparently they were shipping containers for nuts & bolts (with the tops removed) and once they were empty they were thrown away.

We couldn't believe our luck. They were beautiful...they looked like small whiskey barrels. We got about ten of them. They were absolutely free and all we had to do was drill some holes in the bottoms.

Nowadays they use plain corrugated cardboard boxes to ship nuts and bolts, but it was a great find.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2014
12:48 AM

Post #9834725

Don't mind at all. Glad you stopped in, nutsaboutnature.

Those tubs sound like a great find. I love it when that happens. I used to buy a lot of half whiskey barrels for containers. They make neat planters for so many things. I got a chuckle thinking about all the holes we've drilled in whiskey barrels over the years. ♥

I was just looking at photos and noticed how much the old coal scuttle at the top of this thread has filled in. This year it is full. Time to pull some more and plant elsewhere.

weeding

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2014
12:04 PM

Post #9835077

This is my Radio Flyer wagon garden. I almost threw it out because the front wheels had broken off. The 'anything is a planter' side of me came out.

Thumbnail by weeding

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2014
1:49 PM

Post #9835168

That looks great. I love old wagons. Good job!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2014
2:00 PM

Post #9835177

We use wine barrels out here in wine country. I don't know what I'd do without them.
Love the radio flyer planter, my wagon is starting to show it's age and someday it will be retired as a planter.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2014
2:22 PM

Post #9835189

the wagon is really pretty. Sometimes I am glad I don't throw things away...lol

whiskey/wine barrels are great to have. I have one I used as a small water garden for years but anymore I can't get it to swell up enough to stop leaking.
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2014
3:47 PM

Post #9835235

I heard about about one older gardener who used a wagon with holes drilled in it for lettuce. On the plus side with wagons, you can roll them into the garage if it gets too hot, windy or stormy.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2014
5:37 PM

Post #9835300

Wow, weeding, the flowers in your wagon planter are beautiful!

I bought a Radio Flyer wagon at a garage sale for $15.00...the kind with the wooden stake sides added. My husband repainted it and ordered new hub caps from the RF company. All four hub caps cost about $2.50. Then he made a wooden slat insert for the bottom. It's too pretty now to plant in so I'm going to use it for a garden wagon.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2014
11:57 PM

Post #9835485

That's a good idea for lettuce. I do like things that can be rolled and moved easily.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2014
7:31 PM

Post #9837366

I have a couple of new plantings. One is not too unusual, it is a bird nest fern in an old bird cage I got at a car swap meet, you just never know what you will find when. Second is a toy metal truck, not sure I am going to leave airplane plants in the back but that is what I had a the time. I didn't want to ruin the toy so I found a plastic container the right size and cut it to fit. Taking suggestions on what to plant in the truck...LOL

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2014
9:21 PM

Post #9837426

happ - love the new planters. Makes me want to go garage sale-ing. The truck is a real find, maybe something rounded like african violets or how about a nice mix of really small succulents.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2014
2:41 AM

Post #9837476

Love, love, love that truck. I think some type of succulent would look good in it. Maybe an Echeveria of some type. I agree - something rounded and compact.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2014
4:45 AM

Post #9837512

Really love that old truck!

Why not buy tiny starter plants and switch them regularly to suit your mood instead of planting right in the truck. If the pots are too tall & show, you can wrap a piece of burlap or other material around the pot, or look for a tiny basket to set them in. Then it will just look like the truck has some "cargo".

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2014
7:39 AM

Post #9837635

Thanks for the comments and great ideas you guys, like the thought of burlap, tie cord around it...knew you guys could help. Succulants sound like a really good idea.
Wifeygirl
(Caitlin) Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2014
3:55 PM

Post #9852823

I'm happy with this little Tonka Truck. It's a fun showcase for interesting/pretty rocks found at the beach and other hikes. The rocks keep the dirt in, and there is actually pretty good drainage.

The only problem with this idea is that periodically my kids give in to the overwhelming temptation to dump my plants...=)

Thumbnail by Wifeygirl   Thumbnail by Wifeygirl         

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2014
7:08 PM

Post #9853034

That is really cute. I can see how the kids could be tempted...lol

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2014
3:37 AM

Post #9853189

Some kids toys make great unusual planters. I enjoy fun and whimsy in the garden. :)

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2014
6:28 PM

Post #9854757

Love your Container Pot ideas Tapla (Al). ---- Also love the shoe containers that others came up with :]

Since any pots or items put outdoors in this area will dry-rot and crack apart within 8 months, I started to spray the outsides of all pots and items with a clear acrylic spray real good, just to slow down the dry-rotting process because of the sun.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2014
7:03 PM

Post #9854808

Yeap even here the sun is brutal on everything. So acrylic spray seems to help? Worth a try. I have some fiberglass pots that need to be repainted and maybe then I will spray them with acrylic.

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2014
7:12 PM

Post #9854820

Happ, outdoor clear acrylic spray seems to help things from cracking, chipping, rusting or drying out. Well at least will help them last longer than usual. --- I'll spray the plastic pots, metal items and anything that was painted. --- May need to respray with the acrylic spray once a year. -- Got my spray at Michael's Craft store.
It's a smelly job when doing it, so best done outdoors on a non windy, non humid day.
I would lose all my plastic pots every single year, they would crack apart so easily. Then I got fed-up and decided to spray them, at least with three coats.
I would even spray my rope or string I used to hang some things outdoors, so the string won't dry-rot so fast.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2014
7:17 PM

Post #9854830

Oh good idea on the rope lights! Didn't think about that at all...

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2014
7:24 PM

Post #9854842

Rope lights? As long as you're not spraying something that is plugged in at the time, you'll be ok, LoL!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2014
6:19 AM

Post #9855115

Had to really chuckle at some of these:
http://funflowerfacts.com/2012/05/07/10-unique-vases-container-ideas/

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2014
8:30 AM

Post #9855247

Oh my God, lol. --- The Bra, computers and necklace ones, I never would have thought of that. That is amazing, lol.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2014
8:58 AM

Post #9855268

too funny

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2014
9:36 AM

Post #9855296

Something for everyone, I guess. :-D)))

Who is that great cat, LoveForests?

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2014
10:42 AM

Post #9855352

Cville, it is my 13 year old cat, he is a Maine Coon. Name is Pudgy, got him from the horse farm I worked at. He almost got stepped-on by horses twice when he was only 4 weeks old. So I decided to take him from there.
He has an issue with scratching his forehead above his eyes & under his chin too often. --- Not sure if it's an allergy or dust mites. --- Just got a Hydrocortisone spray and been rubbing it on those areas. --- I'm feeding him quality canned food these days.
--- He is so hilarious, and gets these 'high energy bursts' and runs around or shakes his head back & forth when playing with a toy. Did not know a cat his age could run so fast, LOL !

Is that your gorgeous, fit, gray tabby cat in the photo?

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2014
3:56 PM

Post #9855589

That is our Little G. Unfortunately, he ran off during a thunder storm about 3 weeks ago. We are still hoping and praying for his return. Best cat we ever had. We have a huge hole in our hearts without him.

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2014
6:12 PM

Post #9855734

Cville, I am so sorry!!! He's ok I promise ya. He is probably chasing birds and playing lots.

I have about 4 cats that roam passed my home. I started contacting people (for about 4 months now) who were looking for their lost pets, whos cats looked like the ones I see outside. I am determined to get those owners reunited with their kitties.

Like one of the cat owners told me, cats are resilient & very smart, they learn to survive well in their outdoor surroundings very well.
Wifeygirl
(Caitlin) Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2014
1:21 PM

Post #9856674

LOL the bra. What a crackup!
The computers still look like trash to me...and the book just makes me sad for the destruction of a book. =)

I love the VW bugs and the bathtub full of Black Eyed Susans!

My mother-in-law has put an old child's bedframe into her garden and fills the space between with zinnias - her "garden bed." =)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2014
3:00 PM

Post #9856752

Thanks, LoveForests. We're hopeful. If I didn't know how badly he panics and runs, I'd feel better. But we still have hope.

I really like "garden beds". :-)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2014
4:57 PM

Post #9856880

I just had an idea. I don't have a lawn, being out in the country and all. Wouldn't it be nice to have a garden "bed" with grass to lie down on? I could do it in a raised bed to keep the gophers out. What a nice place to lie down and look at the stars at night!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2014
4:41 AM

Post #9857236

Yes, it would be. Star-gazing is good for the kid in us. :)

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2014
12:57 PM

Post #9857763

OOOOooo Star Gazing, I love that! --- Star gazing rocks, it really does :]
I hope you get to do that one night Domehomedee :]

Cville, Well maybe after he gets used to loud noise & finds it does not hurt him, he will eventually roam back to your area and yard :]
-- Hugs to you, and don't forget to put plenty of flyers out in your area, with a good photo(s) at (post offices, pet-shops, little grocery stores, etc, etc).
Wifeygirl
(Caitlin) Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2014
3:31 PM

Post #9860152

Ohmygosh Domehomedee. Make it a king or queen sized "bed" so there's room for stargazing friends! Best idea ever!!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2014
4:15 PM

Post #9860195

I need to make a list of all my "ideas", some of them would be fun to do. My husband even liked the "bed" idea. Of course I went online and found some pics of grass beds people had made before me. I could probablyl find a good headboard on Craig's list.
synergy
Appleton, WI

July 15, 2014
6:02 AM

Post #9894072

We live on a corner lot in the city. My daughter is growing potatoes in papasan chairs, galvanized tubs and old wooden boxes.

Thumbnail by synergy   Thumbnail by synergy         

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2014
6:16 AM

Post #9894092

Love papasan chairs, looks like it works great.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2014

Post #9894121

Those make nice potato containers. Would be good for other vines as well. :)
synergy
Appleton, WI

July 15, 2014
4:57 PM

Post #9894596

Thanks, Happgarden. I'll let you know how well it worked come harvest time. Cville gardener, I planted impatiens in them one year and that was pretty. I like the idea of vines.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America