Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Building a "Living Wall" (vertical garden)

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9462661

Since I now have my indoor greenhouse built, 5 x 16 feet approximately, I would like to build a "living wall" with Flora Felt. I've read some articles about it, and would like others' advice and opinions on how to best create this. Have you built one? How well does it work for growing things for you? What do you grow in it? Do you have pictures of your own 'living wall' or vertical growing area? Please join in the discussion with any advice you might have.
sparklinBarb
Burnt Chimney, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9470548

Solace, I ran across GrowingaGreenerWorld.com a couple of weeks ago, and I'm hooked! This is one of the first episodes I watched, on Vertical Gardening. Initially spotlighted is professional installation, then shows the DIY. I've got a huge pallet my husband had a truck bed delivered on; since it stuck around in the way, by gosh I'm using it! Enjoy!
http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/?s=vertical+garden

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 3, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9470794

Barb, wow! I will never look at pallets the same, thank you very much! That video gives me lots of ideas! All along the seperation wall I built is lattice. Just thinking that why keep all the plants on the inside of the grow room? There's tons of room to put plants in the lattice facing the big room! Plus there's another wall across the room that could accomodate a vertical garden, and I wonder if I could use lightweight vermiculite/perlite (heavy on the perlite) and make a lattice door with plants growing out of it? Oh, and I need a front fence... man, look what you've done, Barb. LOL

DJ
sparklinBarb
Burnt Chimney, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9470880

Oh honey, lemme tellya! I want to do a fence, with double-sided pallets and hanging frames for climing viney things, alternating. I mean, the pallets are free, right? I want to make a frame, drill holes in each side, weave wire thru, side to side, top to bottom, and suspend them, with the plants climbing up. That way, I could have a funky little walled private place - just for me!
I love that web site. I've looked at a lot of those videos, and gosh, all the ideas!
That would be really neat, a lattice vertical garden door! Just think of the possibilities ... Let me know what you come up with, DJ, ok?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9472836

Ok guys. pallets update. Be careful where you choose your pallets from- some of them are treated with chemicals to protect the wood. Some pallets are hea ier than others, some have STUFF that spilled on them. Some are super heavy, some are very splintery and fragile. Be choosy.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9472941

Will do. Thank you, kittriana.
sparklinBarb
Burnt Chimney, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9473418

Yes, thank you Kittriana, very much.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9478263

very cool solace.. someone who has done some
very cool vertical gardening is brian williams ..
hes posted pics of what hes done.. mostly tropicals
but hes a very creative dude..
check it out on aroid forum..
good luck !!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America