Photo by Melody

Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush": Burning Bush a bad-guy ?

Communities > Forums > Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush"
bookmark
Forum: Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush"Replies: 2, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
prickersnall
Madison, WI

March 27, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9463721

I had no idea. I have one that for many years never went red because it was planted in a northerly exposure. But the leaves took on such gorgeous varieties of green to pink, that I moved it to my new (old) house; and I wanted it to have the chance to go red, so I planted it in full sun...(so of course, I don't get those gorgeous tints of green to pink ! oh well...) It's near to the road, shows no sign of becoming a pest at least as to roots.

But there are a couple of other things I enjoy about the plant...the bark with little winged areas along the branches is so intriguing; And the unusual seeds, comprised of half fucia and half bright orange...small, and with unusual structure. I've never seen birds attracted to it at all. So I'm very surprised that it is considered to be a pest.

Does anyone know where it is native, and controlled by other factors, and so not a problem? I tend to think everything has it's nemesis as a control in nature. (unless we have disrupted things and other things that would have been controls are extinct.)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9464060

The E. alata was imported from the Orient in around 1860. I don't know what keeps it "in check" in China, Korea or Japan, and I don't know why you've never seen birds. I agree, the colors are very pretty. However whatever was "controlling" its spread in the Far East is no longer applicable, as it has been hybridized in an attempt to control its size. I read on one of those web sites: let your conscience be your guide.
hooikaika
Newcastle, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9474668

I live in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area) and love my Euonymus alatus 'Compacta'

They are not invasive here. I love the beautiful fall color. I also have high bush blueberries, but the burning bush gets more vivid red. I am keeping mine!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Should be outlawed in the whole US JuneyBug 9 Mar 8, 2011 9:01 AM
Had no idea! Sundownr 17 Mar 7, 2011 2:00 PM
It should burn in h... quiltjean 1 Mar 7, 2011 8:21 AM
Invasive species Notill 9 Mar 11, 2011 11:40 AM
Dwarf Burning Bushes from Stark Bro's Th d94114 3 Mar 18, 2011 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America