-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9465404

I put together my first glass plate flower. It has been fun checking out the thrift shops and coming up with different ideas of what will make a nice flower. I partially painted the first plate, it was a large frosted serving plate and I thought it just needed a little something. Here it is still laying on the table, glue needs to set up and then I will glue the bottle on the back that will fit over a metal rod to hold it in place. I will post a pic in a few days when it all sets up good and solid.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jvw
Clinton Township, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9465691

I love it!! I can't wait until the garage sales start back up.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9466816

So we "planted" my flower today. Here are a few pics including one of the back with a flat sided bottle to hold it to the stem.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9467053

Very nice!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9467057

Thanks, I was very pleased with it.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

March 31, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9467431

Hi Holly!

I love it! Now I want to make some for sure. I think you did a great job by painting the back plate. If you hadn't it wouldn't have pulled it together half as nice as it does. Thanks for showing the back because I wondered how you'd get it to stay on a stick (or rebar) without drilling the glass. It can be drilled but can also easily break. Great idea!

I've been working 2 days (can only do so much at a time) on the yard clean up. I live on a busy corner and idiots throw trash out their car windows all the time. Anyway, I picked up 2 grocery bags stuffed full of trash. Then I stared raking limbs, pine cones, gum balls and inevitably some leaves and such that I didn't get mowed. The back yard is done, one side yard is done. The front yard is half done and all I raked up is there in the other half to be carried to the woods beside my property. I don't actually carry it. I have a cheap tarp that I spread on the ground, rake the stuff onto the tarp then drag it into the woods. I get one end and lift it as I am walking under it which flips it over, dumping the stuff. Next day I have free and is decent I will try to do that and my also clear my "fake mulch" (limbs from the last couple years out of the front yard) around the maple tree. Once that is cleaned, I will have to get the side yard near the woods and then I want to do something under that tree. I am seriously considering this flower idea. I am also thinking about something made from concrete for under the tree, but if I do that, I have another place in mind for the flowers. Either way, I will be looking for some plates, bowls, votives at yard sales for sure!

Great job! I love it.

Debbie
jvw
Clinton Township, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9467459

I love it even more out in the bright light!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9467484

The yellow paint was Ric's idea. I was looking at it unpainted and just thought it didn't quite look right. I was thinking the serving plate looked too big and asked Ric for his opinion and he said paint it yellow. By just painting the scolloped imprints I think that worked very well and I did the paint in a streaky pattern instead of solid coverage. I was very pleased by the out come. Ric made the post, gave it a nice curve and welded a piece of angle iron to the bottom to hold it in the ground securely.
Loves, Sounds like you have gotten a good start on the yard. I have been out working in the yard a bit cleaning up a few beds and treating the Roses.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9467996

The plates are fun!

Keep up that garden Debbie and send us some new pics when you can of what you are up to... (Start a thread of your own again on the subject)
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

April 1, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9468319

Hi David -

I will do something. I took a picture of what it was like. I took another after I had been raking the rest of the crap up by the tree. I absolutely could do no more Saturday. In fact, I surprised myself getting as much done as I did. Yesterday I thought I'd get some rest but wound up taking my brother to a couple stores - Lowes and Harbor Freight...in the rain to boot. So between the raking and the rain (I have arthritis in more joints than not) I was miserable again. Now today is nice, supposed to hit 62, but everything is wet and heavy and I'm still sore. Maybe in the next few days if it stays nice, I can get back at it. I hope so. Guess I'll just have to work on taxes today after I make some phone calls to doctors and other "fun" stuff. Oh goody...NOT!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9468640

Gluing a bottle to the back of the "flower" to hold the stake and then insert in the ground is genius. I've been on threads where how to anchor these flower plates to a rod/stake was discussed seemingly forever ... but yours is the simplest and best solution I've seen to date, Holly.

Debbie, I know how you feel. We sometimes get the litter problem where we are ... mostly people walking home from work late at night. Eating fast food and just throwing down the wrappers, bags and drink cups along the way. The trail of litter gets lighter the farther they get from the main Blvd. They get away with it in the dark of night. :(
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9468825

There was someone selling them at a local flower show and I took a good look at them. She had flat sided bottles on the back. I haven't tried drilling the plates yet but I do like the downward facing flowers as well and I would think you would have to drill that type. I also saw a really cute glass plate mushroom for fairy gardens. She used smaller highly colored glass (painted) with a little fairy sitting on top of it. Even had a few little things lying next to her. I could see them done with little butterflies or dragonflies glued on. Oh, just so many ideas.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

April 1, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9469173

I have read a few postings about them and most say nothing about how to mount it. Those that you can see, appear to have been drilled and then bolted together. I would think some water in the plate or bowl would help and of course practice to get the right pressure. Holly's idea is so much simpler (okay the person at the flower show that Holly shared) that it seems even easier. I like the idea of adding butterflies too. I just have to try this...
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9469552

It looks great! So neat and I love that it's made. Saved for a future project. Thanks!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9501189

I have a drill press that I set up with a small water pump took the hose and hooked it up so that the water hit the drill bit. It works like a charm. My hubby drilled tons of plates, bowls, etc. I cannot wait to get my stiff movec to our new place. Until then I just watch everyone else do fun art stuff.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9501335

I really like some of the downward facing glass plate flowers and they need to be drilled to look right. One of the hints I have seen for that was to place a folded rag in the bottom of a dish pan to add some cushioning lay the plate flat on that an fill with several inches of water. I have a couple of extra wine bottles that I want to cut and will probably borrow my son's wet saw for that.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9501623

We use very dense sponges to put the plates on. I will try to get some pictures for you.
But it will take awhile as I am not sure where they are right now.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America