Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: another ID

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

March 29, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9465676

I tried to put this on yesterday but doesn't look like it made it. So here it is and I hope someone can help ID this one.There isn't much I can describe that the pictures don't show. Leaves are strongly ribbed and alternating. New stems are red. Bark is vertically ridged and there was one old seed pod left at the end of a branch so it flowers at the end. I thought the pod looked like Crapemyrtle but the leaves don't look right. What do you think?

Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9465809

I thought crepemyrtle too, on your first pic. Is alternate OK for that? the pointy last pic looks funny.
freedomfarmer
Boynton Beach, FL

March 29, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9465834

looks exactly like my crepe myrtle

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9465837

Looks like a crepe myrtle.

The leaves in your first 2 pics match this pic of them : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/219871/

and the seed pod definitely looks like a crepe myrtle
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

March 29, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9465895

Thank y'all. I guess it must be a Crapemyrtle. We don't have any so I suppose some bird must have planted it for us in repayment for the hundreds of pounds of bird food we buy for them. We have 2 good big feeders and the birds can empty it every 2 days. We really enjoy watching the birds. We have several kinds of Woodpeckers, lots of Cardinals and Blue jays, Robins on their way south or north when they migrate. There are lots of Finches and lots of Sparrows and too many others to mention. The Cinnamon Doves are always around the ground picking up what the other spill and the squirrels are with then. And we get 2 speies of Hummers to the nectar feeders.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America