Photo by Melody

Propagation: question about a plant

Communities > Forums > Propagation
Forum: PropagationReplies: 1, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks

March 29, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9465833

ihave seeds off queens tears nots sure how to to plant them do I keep them whole in their shell or be be gentle and cut them to get the little seeds out please help me I have never mess with queens tears before and dont want to mess them up Thankyou so much for taken the time to help me not sure if I went under the right place for help but maybe you can send this message where it needs to go Thanks again for your help sandy

Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9466370

Does this look like your plant?

Queen’s-Tears, Friendship Plant,
Hardy Queen's Tears, Hardy Friendship Plant
Billbergia nutans

Tropicals and Tender Perennials

I have no experience with them, and DG Plant Files didn't say much about growing them from seed.
But it did say this:

" It is also commonly called "friendship plant" because it readily produces offsets which may be divided from the mother plants and shared with others."

Propagation Methods:
By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets)

Seed Collecting:
Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Some plants that spread by bulbs & roots might not even come true from seeds, I don't know.

But if there are biggish seed pods that have tiny seeds inside the pod, my first guess would be to split the pod open gently AFTER it is fully brown, dry and dead on the plant, then try to sprout the tiny seeds.

If the pod wants to split open before it is fully dry, I would bag the pod with an organza bag to catch the seeds, but still let them mature and dry as much as possible on the plant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America