Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: question about a plant

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 1, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
peacespirit16

March 29, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9465833

ihave seeds off queens tears nots sure how to to plant them do I keep them whole in their shell or be be gentle and cut them to get the little seeds out please help me I have never mess with queens tears before and dont want to mess them up Thankyou so much for taken the time to help me not sure if I went under the right place for help but maybe you can send this message where it needs to go Thanks again for your help sandy

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9466370

Does this look like your plant?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/5606/

Queen’s-Tears, Friendship Plant,
Hardy Queen's Tears, Hardy Friendship Plant
Billbergia nutans

Category:
Tropicals and Tender Perennials
Epiphytes

I have no experience with them, and DG Plant Files didn't say much about growing them from seed.
But it did say this:

" It is also commonly called "friendship plant" because it readily produces offsets which may be divided from the mother plants and shared with others."

Propagation Methods:
By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets)

Seed Collecting:
Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Some plants that spread by bulbs & roots might not even come true from seeds, I don't know.

But if there are biggish seed pods that have tiny seeds inside the pod, my first guess would be to split the pod open gently AFTER it is fully brown, dry and dead on the plant, then try to sprout the tiny seeds.

If the pod wants to split open before it is fully dry, I would bag the pod with an organza bag to catch the seeds, but still let them mature and dry as much as possible on the plant.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America