Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Plant Identification...please.

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 16, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 29, 2013
10:36 PM

Post #9466434

I have this plant in my garden and it is growing in several places... I did not plant it and have inherited from the previous owner of the property. Could be a New Zealand Native grass/flax type plant. Would appreciate any help.. thank you. It is not a cabbage tree.

Thumbnail by Indilwen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rlalique
Bristol
United Kingdom

March 30, 2013
12:03 AM

Post #9466447

The growth habit looks like a Cordyline.
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
1:18 AM

Post #9466459

Hi Rlalique, thats what I thought and I searched and searched the NZ sites for id but could find nothing...I may give it another go though. Thank you for your input it is very much appreciated.
hortiphoto
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
1:29 AM

Post #9466460

They look like young cabbage trees (Cordyline australis). There are probably several grouped together from a cluster of seeds that have germinated. Try lifting them to see if it's a group of plants rather than one. If each has a prominent taproot then they're likely to be Cordyline, most likely C. australis but possibly C. banksii.

Geoff Bryant

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2013
1:39 AM

Post #9466462

I'll third the Cordyline. Looks just like C. australis to me.
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
2:04 AM

Post #9466466

Hi Geoff, I have two cabbage trees and they are nothing like these.. I have another one of these growing round the side of the house and it is about 10ft tall no flowers, the leaves are right down to the ground, the trunk as it gets bigger is quite thick. Very thin, sharp like leaves. I did check your suggestions you mentioned but could find nothing similar. Will try gain though...it could be the same family...thank you for your input.
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
2:11 AM

Post #9466469

Thank you growin for you reply... There must be many varieties because the cordylines I have in pots are small and are nothing like these one's in the garden. It could be the same species though. I will get a picture of the larger one around the side of the house tomorrow and see if that helps...thank you everyone...

This message was edited Mar 30, 2013 9:39 PM

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2013
2:47 AM

Post #9466475

What it reminds me of is when an older plant is nailed to the ground from frost and the regrowth.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2013
2:51 AM

Post #9466476

I got my New Zealand Native Plants book out and there was one that kinda looked close: Cordyline pumilio
hortiphoto
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9466808

I'm sure you'll find it's Cordyline australis. It's just how they look when they're seedlings - grassy. The leaves will broaden, heads will form and trunks will develop as they age. It may be Cordyline pumilio but that's far less likely to just pop up in a garden and it should be readily identifiable by its somewhat glossy leaves.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9466919

I agree. I can't say I've ever seen C. pumilio but I noticed Hamilton is at the southernmost native habitat. I also still think it is C. australis.
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9467000

Okay everyone have some more pictures. Is the draceana the same family as the Cordylines because it looks very similar to the Dracaena Indivisa and also the Pumilio. There is also a bronzy type coming up as well. Picture provided. Have also pulled out one with roots which may help with identification as well. I really appreciated all the advice. So many helpful suggestions...

Thumbnail by Indilwen   Thumbnail by Indilwen   Thumbnail by Indilwen      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9467015

Here is a dracaena Indivisa which looks exactly like the ones in my garden...found this last night... what do you all think?

Thumbnail by Indilwen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hortiphoto
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9467036

Dracaena indivisa is an old or invalid name for the mountain cabbage tree (Cordyline indivisa). That is a very easily identified species. Its foliage has a pronounced orange midrib and heavy longitudinal fibres. You can see the midrib in this photo: http://www.photosbotanical.com/img6953.htm .

Geoff Bryant
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9467050

No it is nothing like the link picture Geoff...okay seems it must be a cordyline of some kind. What about the bronzey one though is that also one?
hortiphoto
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9467087

I can't really tell with the bronze plant. There's too little to go on. It could be a flax but it could also be several other things, such as Libertia or Dianella.

Geoff Bryant
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9467098

Okay thank you will wait till it grows a little bigger.. It was amongst the other ones I have shown you. Being next to native bush the birds are most likely dropping all sorts of seedlings in my garden...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America