Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Plant Identification please.

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9467093

Okay the first plant is also a seedling which popped up in my garden. It has very small spikey like leaves.
Could be a native...

Plant number two is a pest shoot that keeps coming up from an old stump that was removed but some of the roots, which are huge still remain. Have tried everything to get rid of it... It has vicious spikes on its stem, red in colour.

The third one also a seedling popped up have dozens of them coming up all over the place.. Have an idea what it is from the bush plant which grows near by in the bush the birds love it..Coprosma repens maybe.. little red berries and very shiny glossy leaves.

Thumbnail by Indilwen   Thumbnail by Indilwen   Thumbnail by Indilwen
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9467107

The first one is slighty out of focus and looks like a rosemary but it is not... leaves are not the same, very glossy spikey leaves like the Totara leaves..

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 1:07 PM

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9467113

#2: If that was growing here in central KY (USA), I'd call it Gleditsia triacanthos (common honeylocust) in a heartbeat, with those vicious tripartite thorns.
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9467144

Have checked your name Viburnum Valley and yes that it is and it is a real pest. Coming up all on the road the frontal bush area. Council spray regularly but to no avail it is a very tenacious plant. Thank you for your advice..
hortiphoto
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9467173

Number 1 is suffering from too much camera shake to tell and it's a bit young. Looks like a may well be some type of podocarp.

Number 2, provided it is deciduous, looks like Gleditisia, probably triacanthos. If it is evergreen it could be a Zanthoxylum.

Number 3 is a coprosma. It could be Coprosma repens or Coprosma lucida but I'm inclined more towards thinking that it's a natural hybrid between Coprosma repens and Coprosma robusta. It has some of the glossy look of repens with the tapering tips of robusta and that's usually what you get when they cross.
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9467181

Hortiphoto, number two is deciduous and has been identified as Gleditisia triacanthos. I reckon number three is coprosma something...we have several varieties of the coprosma growing around the bush area so cross pollination very likely. Sorry about the 1st pic being blurry I think it is the podocarpus, several of those growing in close proximity as well... I hope to make it into a bonsai...thank you for your input... very much appreciated..

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9467201

#1 Cryptomeria
#2 agree
#3 Pachystegia insignis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60488/ or P. rufa.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2013
9:37 PM

Post #9467268

I thought 'yew' on 1 (Podocarpus)

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9467756

#1 could be Cryptomeria, but could also be something else in the same family Cupressaceae; needs a clearer pic to tell for sure.

Resin
Lupala
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
1:12 AM

Post #9480934

They way the needles are makes me think #1 is a cryptomeria of some sort.
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

April 16, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9486435

Number One...Cryptomeria

Number two... Gleditisia triacanthos

Number three... Coprosma repens

Thank you to everyone's input... Took along to local garden centre and these are their identifications so everyone was right on the nail...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America