Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Moonpie410
Buffalo Grove, IL

March 31, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9467621

Someone once said it was a Homalomena, but looking up info online, I can't find a Homalomena that looks like this. Note the brown part at the bottom of each stem, which reminds me of some kind of palm. Thanks for the help!

Thumbnail by Moonpie410   Thumbnail by Moonpie410
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9467644

starting with 'some sort of Arum' doesn't get us very far.
nel5397
Groveland, FL

March 31, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9467645

It looks like some kind of Anthurium.
Rlalique
Bristol
United Kingdom

March 31, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9467648

Spathiphyllum?

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9467670

Maybe Alocasia cucullata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53975/
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

March 31, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9468032

I agree, it is Homalomena , probably, H. 'Emerald Gem' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/129121/#b

Alocasia culculata has a peltate leaf.

Looks like it needs more light. All the Homas need copious water; they're semi-aquatic.
Titanium53
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9468044

I have a plant that has green leaves that are kinda tough and thick that has pink around it's edges. It has white markings leading into the leaf. It grows upward and leaves seem to come to a point. I got it from Home Depot. I never seen one like it. Can you HELP me Please?

Thumbnail by Titanium53
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Titanium53
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9468058

I have a Blue Walking Iris plant. It has 6 leaves on it, I got it in January as a Little thing. when will it Grow more leaves and Bloom? I have already repotted it into a 6 in. Pot. One leave had turned brown and died, I removed it. the tips of the others are a little brown on the tips. What advice does anyone have for me to get this plant to Flourish and turn Glossy Green and Grow and Bloom? thanks, D. Morton
vngarden
Seattle, WA

March 31, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9468076

D. Morton,

Post your topics in different threads and people are more likely to respond.

The one on the pot looks like a Kalanchoe sp.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9468078

Titanium- it is customary for you to start a brand new thread for your new ID - however I believe you have a Red Edge Peperomia there for your picture
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54416/

For your walking iris question, best to copy and paste your question as a new thread in Beginner Houseplants if you are not a member, or Indoor Gardening and Houseplants if you are a subscribing member

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 9:40 PM
Moonpie410
Buffalo Grove, IL

April 2, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9470303

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I'm torn between the confirmation from Vestia that it is indeed a Homalomena and Growin's observation that it is a Alocasia cucullata. The main reason is the brown bottoms of the stems (anyone know the appropriate name for the brown bits??)
Opalie
Saint-Jean-sur-Riche, QC
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2013
9:37 PM

Post #9472346

For me: it's the stem of an Anthurium sp. and if you make a zoom, you will also see some beginning roots.

Your plant had lost many leaves probably. You can cut the stem just below one or two roots, put in water and transplant with new potting soil when you will have enough new roots.

You will be help by this link and you will also see the same "brown things", the stem:

http://www.jaycjayc.com/anthurium-propagation-cuttings/

If your plant have sun, it will florish and you will have the suprise of the color of the
spathe and the spadice, of course if I'm right in my identification, but I'm quite sure because I had grown many of these.

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

April 5, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9472473

The identification of the genus Homalomena is correct.
The absence of a geniculum (wrist- like structure) located where the leaf blade meets the petiole eliminates the Anthurium genus.
The absence of posterior lobes on the leaf blade eliminates Alocasia cullculata.
The "Brown bits" the OP refers to on the true stem are most likely persistent cataphyls or dried petiole sheaths.
Scott
Opalie
Saint-Jean-sur-Riche, QC
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9472744

Yes Scott you are wright, I forgot the geniculum ! At the next url, you will have every thing you must know about your plant including how to take care in your house: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Homalomena sp 2pc.htm<

But, I'm sorry, even if Homalomena may have an inflorescence (spathe and spadix), it's unremarkable unlike Anthurium sp.

However, I'm happy to tell you that my understanding for "brown bits" was good, even if we called them stipules or cataphylls, it change nothing, it old unecessary plant tissus, and my reference for propagation is still good. So you will be able to have a new plant without those brown things...!

Opalie...Louise !

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America