Photo by Melody

Clematis: What should I do with this non-vining clem?

Communities > Forums > Clematis
bookmark
Forum: ClematisReplies: 10, Views: 194
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9467633

I have a gorgeous Sapphire Indigo clematis that is growing in a container. I bought it on sale late season 2011. Last summer, after it grew right over the top of the 40" tuteur and back down again, it finally dawned on me that it is a non-vining clem.

So, it can't really be trained up a trellis. I don't have a good place in the garden to let it sprawl. So what should I do with it? I wasn't too happy with how it looked by the end of last summer.

I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Katherine

Thumbnail by koshki   Thumbnail by koshki   Thumbnail by koshki
Click an image for an enlarged view.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9468132

It is a very pretty Clem. I too have one that is non-vining and would like to hear some thoughts
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9468626

I just love the waterfall look you show in your first photo, Katherine! I wouldn't change a thing.

Generally Fine Gardening has such great ideas for displaying plants but for Sapphire Indigo they simply say it's good as a ground cover to shut out weeds. That may be true but the stems, on the ground during winter, would still collect leaves that need hand picking to clean up the area, so I'd mount it on a stump (buy a stump if you need to) and use a tomato cage to show off the clematis in a pot.

http://www.finegardening.com/plantguide/clematis-sapphire-indigo.aspx

There are more thoughts on ways to use it under Design Ideas here: http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/654/sapphire-indigo-clematis.php

Joy Creek cut theirs back drastically and it did fine:
http://joycreeknursery.wordpress.com/tag/atragene/

Good luck!
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9468650

I think part of the problem I had last year was because the tuteur tapered at the top, and the shoots got too crowded. I just ordered a different tower that doesn't taper. I wish I had a sunny spot that needed ground cover. The only thing I have is filled with pachysandra. Do you think it would play well with that? It got to be a pretty unwieldy plant last summer, but I do love it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9468909

NO! It's a horror when the leaves from last autumn have to be cleaned up and I wouldn't touch the easy going pachysandra.

Something tall and not tapered sounds so ideal. Then it can still form a waterfall at the top.
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9469978

Oh, boy you're right about the leaves! Cleaning them from the pachysandra is an annual argument between me and my DH. From my wheelchair, I can only reach about halfway through the bed to rake out the old leaves. But getting him to do the rest is torture! I should probably just hire someone to help me. That way they might not like what I ask them to do, but they will do it (and probably without as much grumbling!)

He does have other redeeming qualities, however!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9469991

True, it's a pain. Hiring someone is the best way to avoid conflict. Life is too short for that!

We don't have pachysandra but our neighbor does and the landscapers (truly mowers/blowers/edgers) just blow the leaves out of her pachysandra and they do not rake them out. That might be an option for you.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2013
1:59 AM

Post #9470399

This will be year 2 for 2 non vining varieties.I just plant them with lilies an in the back area where there is space and let them wander.
#1 Petite Faucon web pix
#2 My only bloom on year 1

The other clem is integrifolia (sp) no pix as no blooms yet

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836         

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9470518

Love the color!
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9478173

The photos above look very similar to Durandii, one of my favorites because of it's long bloom season. Mine doesn't cling or climb, but fortunately has a vertical habit. I grow mine next to a 6 ft. lattice trellis and fasten it to the trellis as it grows.

Thumbnail by figaro52   Thumbnail by figaro52         

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2013
1:12 AM

Post #9478411

Its a beauty

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America