Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Can I save this Neptune Hybrid Tea or is it a lost cause?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 2, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lynn770
Houston, TX

April 1, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9468469

I bought and planted a Neptune Hybrid Tea Rose in 2007. It has had beautiful, fragrant blooms practically all year round until a few months ago. I had some problems with the canes dying off starting about a year after I planted it. First, all of the canes on one side of the bud union died off but the canes on the other side were fine and distributed such that it stayed upright. Unfortunately, the next spring it put out 3 new canes on the healthy side and the entire thing almost toppled over. I cut back 2 of the canes and staked the rose and it has been blooming beautifully ever since, though no sign of life on the other side of the bud union. I cut back the dead canes after a year had past. Just prior to our cold spells this past winter, I noticed that only 1 of the canes left was blooming, and now it appears to be dead as well. All of my other roses are putting out buds or are already blooming. The only life signs seem to be 3 new shoots that have come up a couple of inches in front of the plant and 2 more shoots that appear to be coming from under the bud union. From what I've read on roses, these sound like suckers and am I correct in understanding that they are a part of the original rose and not the grafted hybrid tea rose that I have been enjoying for the last few years. Is there anything I can do or is this rose a goner? I've attached a photo of the current situation and a photo of a bloom from 2010.

Thumbnail by lynn770   Thumbnail by lynn770
Click an image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 1, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9468525

What you describe sounds like what has happened to most of my grafted roses over the years. They thrive for a couple of years, then bit by bit they die back until they look like the first photo. I agree that the new shoots do seem to originate from below the bud union and are probably from the root stock. I have several Dr Huey plants from that process; I rather like them...(My tendency is to wait and see what things grow into.)

I don't have a lot of time to devote to my roses, so I have concentrated on Old Garden Roses that require minimal care. A few years ago I heard a talk by the former president of the Houston Rose Society. She said that grafted roses in our area tend to have a life span of 6-7 years while Old Roses are practically immortal.
lynn770
Houston, TX

April 1, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9468708

Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the lifespan being short but that sounds about right for the time period I've had it. I'm prepping my landscaping to put my house on the market in June and I wanted all my roses to look nice, so I probably won't be able to wait to see what it will do. Maybe I'll leave it until the last minute before I pull it out. Just because I'm curious. LOL. Sounds like I should start reading up about Old Garden Roses for the new place.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America