Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Alocasia "Portodora" ("Portora")

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9468538

I have been gardening for a long time, but am new to Alocasias. I see a lot of conflicting information on light requirements for this plant. I have a beautiful large specimen in a pot that wintered on my sunny south facing back porch very well - but now I need to either repot it, or plant it out. I'm fond of this plant and don't want to damage it. Because of it's size, it was expensive.

Here is what I need help with: If I repot it, I will need to use a very large planter. I would prefer putting it directly into the garden, but the spot where I want to put it is in full sun. In a year or so, this spot will get afternoon shade from some young trees that I have planted, but for now the light will be quite strong. I am in zone 8b - borderline 9a close to Savannah, GA. Our summers are long and hot, and the sun is strong. Wind may also be a factor for the first few years until the rest of my trees and shrubs fill in (this is a new garden).

Does anyone else in the deep south have info to share on this plant?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9468793

Hi Joann. here is some info for you on care for your Alocasia portora, which was hybridized by LariAnn Garner, a member of DG.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53970/

http://aroidiaresearch.org/portora.htm (this is her site)

http://briansbotanicals.net/Outdoor-Tropicals/Alocasia-portora_Alocasia-portora
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9469118

Thanks! LariAnn's plant looks to be in an area that's about as open as mine, so I'll give it a try. I've been gradually introducing it to stronger sun after it's winter on my porch, so it should be as ready as it ever will be. It's just so beautiful now, I think I'll cry if anything damages it. And thanks for the link to Brians Botanicals - that looks really interesting! (cha-ching! cha-ching!)

Also, I was reading some information that you gave earlier to someone else on frost damage to agaves. Since I'm new to growing agave in the ground, that was also very helpful. I would not have equated the spots in the photos with frost damage - good to know! Thanks again!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9469659

You are most welcome Joann. You will find a wide variety of good info here.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America