Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Alocasia "Portodora" ("Portora")

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9468538

I have been gardening for a long time, but am new to Alocasias. I see a lot of conflicting information on light requirements for this plant. I have a beautiful large specimen in a pot that wintered on my sunny south facing back porch very well - but now I need to either repot it, or plant it out. I'm fond of this plant and don't want to damage it. Because of it's size, it was expensive.

Here is what I need help with: If I repot it, I will need to use a very large planter. I would prefer putting it directly into the garden, but the spot where I want to put it is in full sun. In a year or so, this spot will get afternoon shade from some young trees that I have planted, but for now the light will be quite strong. I am in zone 8b - borderline 9a close to Savannah, GA. Our summers are long and hot, and the sun is strong. Wind may also be a factor for the first few years until the rest of my trees and shrubs fill in (this is a new garden).

Does anyone else in the deep south have info to share on this plant?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9468793

Hi Joann. here is some info for you on care for your Alocasia portora, which was hybridized by LariAnn Garner, a member of DG.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53970/

http://aroidiaresearch.org/portora.htm (this is her site)

http://briansbotanicals.net/Outdoor-Tropicals/Alocasia-portora_Alocasia-portora
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9469118

Thanks! LariAnn's plant looks to be in an area that's about as open as mine, so I'll give it a try. I've been gradually introducing it to stronger sun after it's winter on my porch, so it should be as ready as it ever will be. It's just so beautiful now, I think I'll cry if anything damages it. And thanks for the link to Brians Botanicals - that looks really interesting! (cha-ching! cha-ching!)

Also, I was reading some information that you gave earlier to someone else on frost damage to agaves. Since I'm new to growing agave in the ground, that was also very helpful. I would not have equated the spots in the photos with frost damage - good to know! Thanks again!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9469659

You are most welcome Joann. You will find a wide variety of good info here.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America