Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: yellowing on pea leaves. Can any one identify this?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 12, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
greenwater87
Tivoli, TX

April 1, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9469145

I started these peas indoors about 3 weeks ago. They have been growing exceptionally well. I came home from work today and noticed the leaves are looking a little sick. I cant tell if they are just stunned or if the have a mildew. Can anyone identify what this is? Should i be worried or is this normal?

Thumbnail by greenwater87
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9470028

That looks like leaf miners, but you shouldn't have this pest if the plants are indoors --- unless you used soil from your garden.
greenwater87
Tivoli, TX

April 2, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9470126

I should have clearified. I transplanted them into good outdoor soil. I was hoping it was just veiregation? I started the seedlings in steril soil and now that they have been trans planted only one or two leaves on each plant have this.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9470530

The seed package should tell you if these peas should have variegated leaves.

My only other thought is that they might need fertilizer. It has been my experience that peas (and other legumes) need fertilizer just as much as any other vegetable.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9470776

>> they might need fertilizer.

At first I thought that, but the "variegation" argued against it. Now I see that even the green parts of the leaves are pretty pale, which argues for not-enough-N. If the problem IS not-enough-N, I would expect the youngest leaves and growing tips to b e darkest, an d older tissue to be lightest green (yellow).

However, seedlings needing fertilizer after only 3 weeks would be odd for slow-growing perennial flowers. Maybe it is normal for fast-growing peas, especially peas started INdoors. . How big are their pots? How root-bound? How soon can they be put in soil?
greenwater87
Tivoli, TX

April 3, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9471109

When this picture was taken they had already been transplanted into organic soil for a week and a half. As it stands the oldest leaves are the best looking. All the yellowed leaves seem to be in the middle but do not seem to be getting worse. Could it just have been shock? Thanks for y'all's help
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
10:28 PM

Post #9471346

My first guess was going to be leaf miners too. You say they have been transplanted into good organic soil but are they inside or outside? That's what it looks like to me, but with out knowing where the plants are it's hard to tell, I can't think of anything else it could really be.
greenwater87
Tivoli, TX

April 4, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9471519

They are outside. I took it into my local agg extension office and they weren't sure. I'm having it looked at by a gentlemen at A&M. Ill post the results when I get them. Thanks for y'all's help.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9471574

Has the weather been exceptionally cold? Could be a bit of frost bite.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9471927

Looking foreword to the results.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9471952

>> As it stands the oldest leaves are the best looking. All the yellowed leaves seem to be in the middle but do not seem to be getting worse.

Interesting! If it were a nutrient _deficiency_, I would say it is not a MOBILE nutrient. If it were, the oldest leaves would have had some stolen right away, the middle stolen later, and the tips would be darkest green.

It might have been an IMobile nutrient deficiency, where the oldest leaves got enough, and the youngest leaves are too, but the middle were growing when the nutrient was unavailable.

>> Could it just have been shock?

Maybe - something that hurt the middle leaves when they were the growing tip and most vulnerable.

- excess fertilizer burn
- salt shock
- transplant shock, either roots or drying wind
- cold shock

P.S. I have heard that peas are very sensitive to herbicides. Maybe a very. very faint mist hit some of the leaves?

I'm not familiar with bug damage so I can guess about leaf miners. At least you don't have slugs munching on them!

I'm eager to know what the A&M guy says.
Shellybutorac
Germantown, TN

April 30, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9503446

Can you tell if our leaves look the same? Mine have been out about 3 weeks as well after starting indoors.
Shellybutorac
Germantown, TN

April 30, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9503447

For some reason it opulent let me post a pic, but I HB a pic on the thread I started.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America