April Blooms

Arlington, TX

Hymenoxys acaulis
first prairie verbena
Echinocereus davisii

Arlington, TX

TX betony

This isnt a flower but I am thrilled its showing some life after just recently being planted - Echiveria strictiflora

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

Very pretty!!

Can someone tell me what the yellow flowers are blooming on the roadsides, along side the Bluebonnets & Indian Paintbrush?
And if you're familiar with the purple blooming ones, I'd really appreciate it!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

The yellow ones are probably coreopsis but Ive not seen any purple ones yet.

Cheryl, Texas Betony is really pretty, kinda like a cross between Salvia and verbena!

This message was edited Apr 1, 2013 9:54 PM

Hi, Y'all! Welcum ta Texes.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Love it!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Lots of roses are starting to bloom: Don Juan, Double Delight, huumm .... Belinda's Dream, Mons Sonbrieu.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Clematis ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Jerusalem Sage, Peonies are ready to bloom ... Itoh Peony, Violas and wild Strawberries (they flew in my garden ...)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Daffodils still popping out everywhere, ooohhh Bearded Irises, poppies are starting to bud, Ranunculus

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I love my Crossvine

Litchfield Park, AZ

drthor your flowers are so pretty. I can't wait to be able to grow peonies.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Near my house there are grape hyacinths all along the roads. What kind of purple and what does the flower look like?

Weather is lousy for pics but here are a couple of my antiques, Nacodoches and Maggie.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

it started ... Spring is here !!
Mons. Sombrieu .... (or something like that)
Dutch Iris
Yellow Bearded Irises
Rose Double Delight
Bearded Iris

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Ranunculus
Columbine Nora Barlow (it self seeds every year in my garden - love the shade - evergreen foliage in the winter)
More Irises

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Itoh Peonies are ready to bloom.
This year it will be a great show ... I hope

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Peonies? Already? Wow....I'm not in Kansas Boston anymore

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

carrielamont
actually this year we are very late with all the blooms here ... maybe 3 weeks behind.
Look at this pictures from the 3rd of April 2012

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Normally Peonies in my garden start to bloom at the end of March.
These are from last year March 26th, 2012

This has truly been an unusual year. My LA irises were late this year and the weeds have been different too. There is no Plaintain this year. I usually have lots. The wild carrot-looking thing which I usually see a few of are EVERYWHERE this year, even in potted plants, go figure. The Lantanas are outstanding this year, never better and now in Feb-Mar-Apr? My azaleas were great this year. I usually am covered up with wild strawberry by now and I have some but not like previous years. I attribute it to the weather but I dont know any specifics about the weather that could have caused the difference.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Drthor, you must be in a very sheltered area to have that many blooms so early, most of my plants are not blooming yet, except for Columbines and Golden groundsel.
Of course Marty is in zone 9, my Lantanas and Turk's cap are not showing growth yet, we need more heat for them.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

frostweed
I am actually on the very top of a small hill. My neighbor said that it is the highest point in Dallas.
It is very windy in my garden ... I dunno !!
I am serious when I say that it is late this year ... looking at pictures of the same date of the previous years.
But my Lantana and Turk's cap are showing growths ... and I have not turn on the sprinklers since November
Also my tomato plants used to be loaded with fruits already and not this year ...

Well, it has been very cold at night many times this winter and part of spring, so we must wait till it warms up.
Patience, patience.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I have 3 Lantanas -- 1 Camara and 2 Horrida. The Camara is up already (and always comes back from old growth). The Turks Cap is up, too. But I think the TC and one Lantana are up because they are covered in Bur Oak leaves all winter. I think the ground around their roots stays warmer than the two more exposed Lantana Horridas.

Carla

Arlington, TX

We have had a cooler spring than usual. My plants are smaller too.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

It took longer to cool down in the fall so I wondered if it would stay cool longer into the Spring, but I didn't think it would stay cool this long...there is no mention of a freeze tonight, but now that the clouds have cleared Im wondering if it might...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

This stuff is so interesting!

You mean like watching paint dry, Carrie?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from Cajun2 :
Can someone tell me what the yellow flowers are blooming on the roadsides, along side the Bluebonnets & Indian Paintbrush?
And if you're familiar with the purple blooming ones, I'd really appreciate it!

Around here the yellow blooming plants along roads and creeks is the dreaded Bastard Cabbage! This plant they say will kill out the bluebonnets eventually because of the plants leaf base. Everywhere ground is disturbed it shows up and along waterways. With so much construction now it is going wild!

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2012/03/bastard_cabbage_drought_not_go.php
http://www.texasinvasives.org/plant_database/detail.php?symbol=RARU

The purple are wild verbena I bet.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2013 8:14 AM

Yes, I saw the purple today and it is verbena.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I have also seen wild indigo along the roadways, and down here between Houston and San Antonio some gorgeous crimson red small flowers, gaillardia? bluebonnets, i will attempt to grab pix on my way back across to Houston.

Arlington, TX

A few blooms that made me smile today.

They sure are adorable Cheryl.

Arlington, TX

Pretty but fleeting, guess thats why I like them.

My crossvine always seems spindly compared to others but its still pretty.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd like to share with you how proud I am that my sprinklers have been turned off since November 2011 ... but this little guy here is not happy at all !!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Don Juan tea Rose
Crossvine
Columbine
Martha Gonzales' rose and Arugula
Itoh Peony Keiko

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

More Clematis ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

More Bearded Irises ... It is so hard to take these pictures ... the wind is blowing 30 mhp !!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

and more Bearded Irises ... the fragrance in the garden is just amazing ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Marchesa Bocella Rose
Martha Gonzales (should be earthkind)
Dutchess De Brabant (earthkind)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.