Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Candy Corn Vine?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 293
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2001
7:32 PM

Post #17216

I was at a nursery to get pumpkins the other day and a worker there 'threw' in this plant for me. It looks like a vine and is growing on a little trellis in the pot. She said it was an annual that they normally only carry in fall because the flowers look like candy corn. Anyway, it was priced and ten bucks and she gave it to me. Pretty cool! My first guess was a type of Cuphea but I can't find anything that really looks like it. Any thoughts?
Michele

Thumbnail by Badseed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2001
8:12 PM

Post #156293

ooooh, I know! I know! Here it is: http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/1338.html

I remember thinking this was pretty cool when I added it to the database. And we don't have a photo...(hint hint)

Seriously, take a peek and see if this is it...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2001
8:20 PM

Post #156294

Well, that's funny...the database says it's also called a firecracker vine? Boy, that's why the botanical names are the way to go! My mom has firecracker vines, but they're Ipomoea lobata (also known as Mina lobata) and they look a lot different! Give me Latin or give me death! Well, maybe not death, but you know what I mean! LOL
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2001
9:17 PM

Post #156313

Hey, Badseed, if you get any seeds off this, can I have some? I've been debating buying this vine for a couple of years now, but I'm not sure how hardy it is, and they say things grown from seed where they are to flower have a better chance of surviving the winter.
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2001
12:00 AM

Post #156416

Ok now I am jealous!!! lol... Michele me thinks GV is hinting real big here. lol

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2001
12:26 AM

Post #156433

Only about putting a photo in the database - I'm trying to be a really good girl and not make any more trades until I get my greenhouse finished :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2001
12:15 PM

Post #156662

Well if you guys want to be more confused, I was thinking it was a Cuphea, the one called cigar plant. I went to looking and Cuphea ignea is called cigar plant, but this isn't it. Ironically, GV your's is called cigar plant too! LOL Sure, I will add a picture. My Mina is also in full bloom and has unripe pods. If I end up with seeds from either or both, I will be sure to let you know. :)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2001
1:22 PM

Post #156688

This was one of the plants I stumbled on when I did a search for plants commonly called "firecracker". There were 10 different plants, as I recall. You can search on the database - they're all in there, but they don't all have full descriptions, photos, etc. Pretty interesting, huh?
CoCo

November 15, 2001
2:14 AM

Post #162814

Badseed,if you get seeds from this,please put my name down for some if you would. Can't find anything like that around here.
Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America