Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Should Humans Eat Seeds? We're Not Birds, After All!: Phytic Acid in seeds, etc.

Communities > Forums > Article: Should Humans Eat Seeds? We're Not Birds, After All!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Should Humans Eat Seeds? We're Not Birds, After All!Replies: 13, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9469589

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/living-with-phytic-acid

We have eliminated seeds, nuts, grains, and legumes from our diet because of their phytic acid content.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9469673

I'm aware of that school of thought. I just didn't know enough or have enough experience to comment. Do you eat sprouts or toasted seeds? Has it helped you? The grains and legumes must be hard...with my daughter's celiac disease, I know about eliminating grains, but the substitute flours are often ground seeds or legumes.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9470020

Carrie,

No, I don't eat sprouts, or toasted seeds.

I have found that keeping to a simple diet of fresh fruits, vegetables with lean meats, chicken, eggs, and fish I feel so much better than when I ate the standard American diet. As much as possible, I purchase organic. I also grow many of my own vegetables organically.

Sugar and all other sweeteners (except Stevia) are now a thing of the past!

I used to weigh 200lbs - now I'm 133lbs and a perfect size eight!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 2, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9470070

Interesting article.
I too have been around and around with this.
Is it celiacs or is there something wrong that our stomachs are absorbing too many carbs that it ordinarily it would not.

http://protomag.com/assets/celiac-disease-eating-away-at-you
Fasano and his discovery that the cholera vaccine he had been working on for 20 years caused celiacs has been in all the big research magazines. This one is a good article and so was the one in Scientific America.

Then there is the history lesson about niacin:
Like for instance the Poor South in the early 1900s was suffering from Pellagra. Sores developed around the mouth, soon they victims began to have trouble walking, and thinking and then they died -- mostly children. Turns out that the Poor South did not eat much meat but they ate lots of cornmeal. In the early 1900's the food companies switched over to a different way of processing cornmeal and took out the niacin (a B vitamin). They estimate 100,000 people died from just that. Can you imagine!

Then there is other history lesson on diet The following link is the best I have ever run across and if anyone has heatlh problems it is a "must see" U tube.

http://vimeo.com/55453574

This link is about Elizabeth A. Thiele, M.D., Ph.D.—Dietary Therapy: Role in Epilepsy and Beyond she tells the history of diets for diabetics, and and and epilepsy. It seems to be turning out that epilepsy is really spikes in blood sugar.

We have been on the Ketogenic diet
We have been on the Atkins diet of no more than 15 carbs a day
We have lived off of cake and donuts too.
Now it might be time to look at low glycemic diet - after we have had a go at all the low carb, or no carb, or advoid all wheat - cause it is nice to eat some carbs.

By the way do you two ladies know it is National Autism Awareness Day -- Light it up blue - on that Chinese - made magnet ribbon that sticks to all the cars -- most interesting ribbon out there; made up of puzzle piecies.
Diabetes, autism, alziehiemers might all be linked. Yes, it most probably is!

This message was edited Apr 2, 2013 6:36 PM

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9470522

I am in my eighth year living on a low-carb diet based on the glycemic index.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9470611

Wow, I don't know how I'd do with diets even more restrictive than the no-gluten one,although I understand: if your health is involved (not just vanity), you'll do it.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 3, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9471059

Carrielmont;
It is not that hard. What is good about Atkins - there are lots of recipes, and there is coconut flour - great stuff lots of fiber. My mother finally has decided she had ceilacs and I agree with her. She is going gluten free and had me go get some stuff for her. Such a cornmeal mix. Most of that is mixed in with rice flour that she loves.
Rice is higher in carbs than wheat. Not sure how this is going to work, since I think it is the carbs.
Rice bran however; research is showing really helps increase IgGs. -- The good kind of immunity, not the allergy kind with is the IgEs.

Phylates is mixed up a lot with fiber.
They are not suppose to absorb through the intestines and pass on out.. There are a lot of phylates in wheat bran - and where there is phylates there is insitiol.

Recent research show that large doses of insitiol can control bipolar with out medication. 10 years ago they were saying not to take insitiol with lithium because it affected the absorption of lithium
But as time goes on that is ohhhh, soooooo, wrong:
Recent studies found that this connection is why lithium worked in the first place. It is because lithium helped the absorption of insitiol vitamin (B vitamin/carbohydrate) which is found in the phylates.

I think that you get your stomach all tore up and it needs a rest from all carbs.
As in starvation, which you cannot starve long enough to give it a rest and allow it to settle down and heal. Thus came along the ketogenic diet --low on all carbs Atkins the same way . Two years is all that was recommended for the ketogenic diet to work. Low glycemic encourages lots of fiber -- Some are suggesting taking two days out of the week and eating very low carb -- as in the research for breast cancer showed it made a difference.

Some are saying don't eat in the morning -- but eat low carb in the afternoon - then go all night and the morning which makes a longer time.

This diet for epilepsy -- they thinking works on MS too.

Take a look at Thiele's U tube.

Honeybee --Good for you! 8 years for me too - since the low carb - Atkins diet helps epilepsy research came out in 2005 - and all the buzz about the Ketogenic diet years before had us sort of skirting around it too.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9471841

Most mornings, I don't eat breakfast either. Just a cup of coffee with some organic half-and-half. Other mornings I'll have some fresh fruit.

I have a light lunch, and a small dinner. It's surprising how little food I actually need.

I hope your mom does well on her gluten free diet.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9471901

Honeybee, I heard years ago "have breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper," and that is how I try to eat. If I have a filling breakfast, I can have practically no lunch and not much dinner, and be fine.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 4, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9471994

Carrielmont:
It all depends on what you eat for breakfast -- Will it raise your blood sugar?

Eggs and bacon - no it won't raise blood sugar, and it last me all Day long, - esp if it is late- like a brunch.
Steel cut oats - slower to raise that blood sugar than rolled oats. Lots of people thinks oatmeal sticks to your ribs -- I can tell you that rolled oats leave me shaky just like pancakes and syrup.

Bulgur is so slow to release it's carbs, and has so much fiber; that even though it is a grain and a wheat and has gluten it is still a good thing for a hot cereal for breakfast.

Or maybe one of those drinks they sell in the stores for low glycemic - Atkins drinks, would be good too; they are filling.

Once again please watch Theile's U tube; you will be glad you did. It is cutting edge stuff. It made me look around at what they were feeding these kids with epilepsy and use that as a gauge. I was surprised that 1/4 cup of (BROWN) Rice could be consumed with no ill effects.

Honeybee:
I never worried about phylates but I have worried about oxalates( causes problems with kidney stones that can be life threatening and painful). Plenty of my family members have had a great deal of trouble with kidney stones and arthritsis.

There are plenty of veggies out there that have lots of oxalates in them. Like rhubarb - that is why the leaves are considered posionous because they have a WHOLE lot in the leaves, but not the stems. Humans are able to deal with some oxalates, because they have gut bacteria that eats oxalates and cause them to pass on out of the gut without harm.
Oxalobacter formigenes, and lactic acid bacteria are two types of bacteria that eats oxalates in our gut.
Here is one study -- but there are tons of others.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15499215

The title is " Microorganisms and calcium oxalate stone disease"

I know I am over talking here -sorry -- it is a passion, but I am sure you did not know that. : + ) .

So be patient while I obsess!

Once the stomach is all messed up like Fasano (link given above) found, and years before him --,so also did Dr. Wakefield --who discovered a novel inflammation of the GI track back in the 90s; --- and more recent research continues to support Dr. Wakefield's findings -- It appears that a messed up stomach does not allow normal flora to florish while allowing other flora that is not normal to grow.

Probiotics may help for a while but it is not getting to the root of the problem

A messed up stomach - is not dealing with carbs at all well, allowing them to sit around and causes an overgrowth of yeast -- Yeast not only does not break down oxalates, but actually through their metabolism makes even more oxalates.

A soil bacteria that is very common in alzeiheimer's patients, and some kids with autism - called Clostridium difficile (C- Diff) even after they take antibiotics, it will come right back because something in the gut gives it an opportunity to grow. Many with C- diff. find it does help to take protobiotics, but they must continually consume them for the root of the problem has not been addressed.

Dr. Wakefield; a GI Doc, says this is not unusual ,and seen very often in patients that have had to have operations in which their intestines were shorten and some removed.

So, I think you are on the right track, as am I . I won't worry about oxalates anymore, and don't you worry about phyalates.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2013 5:04 PM
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 4, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9471996

Honey bee;
Thanks for hoping the best for my Mother, and I hope the same for you and yours.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9472001

Wow, that's a lot of info. I eat heavy granola (pref. homemade, but not made by Quaker), yogurt with live cultures and fruit for breakfast most days. Def. agree that you need protein and fat, as well as unrefined carbs, in a big meal to last a long time. But I can eat seeds forever. Gimme a bag of nuts and seeds and a bottle of water and I'm good to go.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 4, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9472097

Carriel What kinds of seeds would a bag of seed be?
Pumpkin?
Sunflower?
I love them too.
I do sprout my own mung and broccoli. cause I am afraid of the store bought one. . Love them on salads.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9472119

I'm usually at an airport gift store, and I get a package of peanuts, pumpkin seeds, other kinds of seeds, and raisins (I give the raisins to DH).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Should Humans Eat Seeds? We're Not Birds, After All! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thought provoking article! Amargia 3 Apr 9, 2013 2:30 PM
Well done!! threegardeners 1 Apr 2, 2013 9:41 AM
Great article. CountryGardens 1 Apr 2, 2013 12:23 PM
If I eat enough seeds will I grow wings? wandygirl 1 Apr 8, 2013 12:50 PM
Eating seeds JfAJ 3 Apr 10, 2013 4:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America