Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: Grandma's Quilts...

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 31, Views: 257
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9470568

Hello Quilters,

My Florida Gardening forum friend Qwilter, said I should send pictures of Grandma's Quilts and so I will send this one first. I actually have 3 and the other 2 are better I think but packed away...This is the last one she made so its special too. I don't think it is nearly as sophisticated as some of your works,... and I know that much af the material came from old flour sack material she had saved over the years. It measures approx. 6 X 7.5 Her name was Carrie Louise and she had been Quilting since a young girl but most of her quilting was done from the mid 30's to this final one in 1966 for Her family.

My Aunt Suzie sewed the tag on with some other info. on it for me many years ago... ( the last picture )

Thank you,

David

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 3, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9470577

What a treasure and keepsake David..

Know how warm at heart it is when you take it out. My grandmother made one in the 50's out of men's coats..weighs a ton. Didn't think men would understand their value but my youngest took it home with him to be passed on to his children.

I am so looking forward to seeing the others!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9470657

Isnt it great!! I didnt see the picture of the whole quilt on the FL forum. I know everyone is going to love seeing it.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9470688

Magnificient treasure!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9470713

I can visiulize hours spent in front of open fire and stitching away with happy hands because it is time to reflect the day and work accomplishe. A treasure for sure

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9470730

My Grandmother thanks you all for loving Her work!

You are Psychic Helene... Grandma did in fact do it in front of her small red brick fireplace in her Cracker Cottage home with the very clean but unvarnished wood floors and typical mint green beadboard walls and ceilings...Family ancestors pictures framed in Oval frames with domed glass on the wall behind Her settee...

...Grandma would set up two wooden sawhorses in the living room next to the fire with a board top. She and a Sister or two and sometimes my Mother or a friend or two, would be sitting there sewing and talking away as I played around them. (I was the first, oldest grandchild and was 5 before any of the other kids came along. Lots of early quality time to spend with Her and Grandpa. It seemed so peaceful and magical and the smell of the fire...Ahhhhh!

Thank you all!

David

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 3, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9470738

Isn't it grand to have such memories!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9471066

Oh David, how that revives my memories. I was also the first and had a few years to my self because of the war. I was very close to my grandmother and great grandmother who lived until I was 16. Granny made quilts and hooked rugs, she used fabrics left from the dresses my mom made me and from feed sacks. My mom would give me a dollar and send me to the local feed store to get 4 feed sacks. I could pick out the patterns I liked for my own dresses. We could sit with granny's quilts and see bits and pieces of our clothes.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 3, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9471163

My grandmother raised me, she was in her early 50's when i came to her at 6 months old. Might have been around 6 or 7 when grandma, SIL's and friends would gather for a quilting bee, as all had grown children I'd be the only child in attendance..when I now think of it I know just how blessed I was, these ladies with their perfect stitches pulling out a chair, inviting me to join them, a child's attempt at joining in, wonder if later my stitches were picked out or not?

These ladies would meet early morning and quilt all day, returning a 2nd day to finish it off...then the next week the quilting bee would be at someone else's home..

Great memories..thanks for reminding me of the good times

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9471197

It's phenominal to have these heirloom treasures that will hopefully get passed down. I, too, sign my pieces with machine embroidery on the backing. Glad your aunt provided the label. It preserves the history and aging, which is priceless.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9471245

I love the remembering too. I was so close to Granny (my great grandmother), I can remember her playing with me when I was no more than 3. Always nice to be reminded and just let the good memories play over again in my mind. I sure hope my grands and greats will have some good memories with me too.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9471397

David - you mentioned the quilts were "packed away". PLEASE make sure they are not in cheap plastic bags. That is so bad for the heirloom quilts. Better to keep them in cotton pillowcases. And they should not be folded in a neat way. Fold them "wonky" otherwise there will be wear on the fold lines. Some even wrap the pool "noodles" in white cotton & roll a quilt on that.

I am the 1st (and only) quilter in my family. Lots of crocheting going on in the past but no old quilts in the family.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9472163

I appreciate the storage information Q. You have made me think,...but mine at least are not in plastic!
Thank you Taters,... for the welcome,...and Siliolegma ( Is that Silly ole Grandma? Ha! Love it!), Betty, Stu, and Helene again for the kind words.
Stu,

Who would have known until you shared the site?!!! You guys are incredible with all the talent and your embroidery message was perfect with each letter being in a different color depicting the word Rainbow!

I did go to the site and you are for sure one prolific Quilter! I can't believe the Oz ( Under the Rainbow ) one wasn't promoted at that event...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9472308

Yes David, it's Silly Ole Grandma. When I first came online with AOL, we were only allowed 10 letters for our screen name. Almost 52 years ago when my first was born, I bought my mom a small photo brag book, on the cover was...S.O.G.W.P.I.P. which stood for Silly Old Grandma With Pictures In Purse.I had to figure out how to get it in just 10 letters.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9473687

David, so good to see you share your pictures and stories. My Grandmother was the one who taught to me sew and do embroidery work. I wish she had taught me to QUILT! I have several of her quilts. I do so wish they had quilt labels on them so I knew for sure more the history of each one. I am not sure on some whether my grandmother or HER mother put them together. I have one that was a top that I hired to have hand quilted.

I LOVE quilts! I need to get with the program, I want to have one done for 4/11 baby shower!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9473956

Hi David, Wonderful treasures!!! thanks for sharing.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9474536

Hi David, loved your grandma's quilt! I just washed a quilt that was in my grandma's stuff. It was just a top when it came into my possession, way back in 1958. I had to fix it here and there and it looked like several people had worked on it. It was one of my first efforts at hand quilting or even putting a quilt together!! I have never seen the pattern of the blocks before so I have know idea of the name of it. I think I'll put the information on the back of it, what little I know anyway. Thanks to you all for reminding me about labels! I think I'll take a pic of it and see if any of you recognize the pattern. I'll be back...

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9474598

I've been taking pic like crazy. Anyway, this is the one I told you about. It's been on my bed all winter and it washed up beautifully. There's several kinds of fabric in it. A real scrap quilt. Grandma didn't sew but maybe she was in a block exchange or something. I was 17 when she died so of course I wasn't into anything much but boys... I can think of all kinds of things I'd like to ask her now. I even took a pic of the back. It shows the pattern better and I think it looks sort of cool. Well, the last pic is Ralph. Just because I could send 5 images... It looks like he is plotting to do something he shouldn't... ;^ )

Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9474607

Very interesting quilt... and YES... Ralph is plotting... I think he still remembers when cats were considered gods in some parts of the world...beware!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9474638

I dontf think she needed a design wall and it came perfect.

I read all post. Don't answer to often. Do enjoy all yours,Gloria,ESP pictures. Your quilts are magnificent. Cats too. Thisquilt is a lnostalgic master piece
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9474675

Some patterns are just so much "easier" when hand pieced. Very unique design.

I may be asking for some pics of older/antique quilts you all have. i want to put together a display/table centerpiece for the upcoming quiltfest. The theme is "Quilting thru the Ages" and i thought a 3D grouping of pics might be interesting. I have s design floating in my brain & I don't think it will be overly difficult. I just don't have any antique quilts to take pics of.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9474770

How fun!! be sure and remind us. I have a couple and they are stored so I'll need a reminder.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9474856

I really loved seeing your Grandmothers quilt too MorknotMindy... It seems quilts are like snowflakes! That is the beauty I suppose... Love Ralph... He's so symetrically marked!

I have read all of your writings and just want to say, "Great reading your words and appreciate them, and Thank You for sharing..., and of course,... Keep up the good works!"

David

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9474967

Gloria the quilt is just wonderful. And the quilting is fantasticf!!! I also like Ralph. And the niche behind him. I love those in the southwestern architexture...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 7, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9475268

David - Thank you for the "trip down memory lane".
I remember my grandmother quilting. She passed away in 1966, the same year your grandmother did this quilt. Unfortunately I was pretty young, and my grandmother didn't teach me how to quilt. Neither did my mom. My 4 aunts were great quilters but lived in other cities.
2 of my grandmother's quilts were passed to my brother and my daughter. Neither of them are surviving... Stan's is pretty much in tatters, and my DD's - well, let's just say I've had to repair them a couple of times by replacing some fabric. She insists on machine washing them and we KNOW that's not right, for antique fabrics... oh, and she used to kick and tear holes in it.
Something nice about the repairing I did... I tore out one shredded piece of fabric and found an embroidered butterfly on a piece beneath! Don't know why it was covered up, but it was SO nice to find it.
Funny that my Mom didn't quilt - she was the oldest, and you'd think she'd be the one who would learn it, but guess she was too busy at school and Reading, reading, reading. Always had her nose in a book lol
Anyway, I'm quilting now, and do handquilting rather than machine quilting.
I hope the quilt I gave my DD and DSIL gets hand washed, but don't think it would. At least it's newer fabric lol

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9475709

?ljust mimicking. With blocks from the farmers wife's block bock would that be authentic authentic enough for y your idea Jean . We could help with that.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9475837

Susan, I know it is hard to send a quilt out the door that you have worked so hard on, especially one you've hand quilted. These photos are of a quilt I made for my son, Paul, years ago. In fact it took me seven years to finish it... :^P I started this one before I became a 'cotton only' quilt snob. It is a polyester blend, which is why the colors are still so bright. And, I was using the 'big' stitch before I even knew there was such a thing!! LOL My stitches are a bit smaller now but crooked as a dogs hind leg on the back. I think I used a hoop on this one. It's been so long ago... Anyway, after many,many, washing a few seams started to come apart and my DDIL asked if I could fix it. Sure, in just seven years I'll have it whipped back in shape! I've decided to do a LOT more quilting on it so it may take me that long! There are places in the quilting where I got tired of the same ole pattern and added a few other patterns... Paul used to sign his school papers 'Paul, the famus' so I put that in there. Hopefully you can see it in the last photo. I also put a little pocket on the back and put in a little music box that played 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star'. DIL forgot about it and it perished in the wash... Maybe I'll look for another one. (A music box, not another DIL) Anyway, this quilt is over 25 years old, (I'm afraid to figure out how old it is!) and hand quilted and it still looks pretty good. I do not knot the thread, I just do a couple of back stitches and then run it a few inches under the top and cut it. There are a few ends poking up here and there but all in all it has weathered a lot of rough treatment. And you just have to wish them well when they go out the door. Just like your kids. Photo 5 is the from my back patio a couple of months ago. The quilt photos were taken this morning. I hate not to send 5 photos...

Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9476065

lol on the "dog's leg" stitches... sounds like mine now! I understand about not wanting to send less than 5 photos lol
I agree - once they're out the door, you just have to let them go.
I remember one quilt I made for a friend's wedding - embroidered a panel in the center to commemorate the day. Well, 10 years or so later I ran into her and she invited me by for coffee. I'd never been to her house and she'd (unknowingly) moved into my neighbourhood. I looked into a bedroom that her big dogs occupied, and to my Horror, I saw she'd used it for a dog's bed/playtoy!! They'd torn it so badly, but was still recognizable... I never did go back to her place... she was embarrassed, but apparently didn't care what was done to the quilt! We hadn't stayed in touch before, because she wasn't all that good of a friend. btw - I'd done it as a tied quilt, not quilted, so other than the embroidery, thought and piecing had not spent a lot of time on it. I'm glad now that I didn't hand quilt it...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9476181

Most craft supply stores(Michael's...JoAnn's...Hobby Lobby etc.) carry music boxes to put in toys and such.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9476186

Most craft supply stores(Michael's...JoAnn's...Hobby Lobby etc.) carry music boxes to put in toys and such. They are very in-expensive. Maybe put it in a button pocket this time, or buy a few.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9476252

Ouch... that hurts! A dog blanket... ya, at least the blanket I gave to my nephew was denim!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9476314

yes, it hurt, and she knew it. She tried to stop me from looking into the room, but it had no door and I was interested in looking at the dogs. I thought she was trying to warn me from the dogs... no, she was trying to have me not see the quilt I'd made... yikes!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America