Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Tips on growing peanuts please

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9470744

I've mentioned a couple of times that I'm learning how to grow my own peanuts. I thought I would ask for tips on growing these in it's own thread and see if any of you all have any tips on successful peanut growing for the home gardener. Do any of you grow peanuts?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9470907

No problem in the south. They do have a long season but otherwise are as easy to grow as beans. It is a bushy plant so they a spacing about 12 inches, but other than that just pretend they are bush beans. There are four major types to choose from. Spanish are the easiest to grow. These are small flavorful peanuts that are used primarily in candies and other sweet products. Valencia is next easiest but least grown. Grown mostly in the south west and favored for organic products. You are probably aware of the peanut butter problem in New Mexico. Virginia are large peanuts used as cocktail peanuts, and other roasted, boiled free standing peanuts. Runner peanuts are the backbone of the peanut butter industry and are the main crop in Georgia. Both Virginia and Runner types require an extra long growing season and don't do well outside the south.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9470963

We had a peanut patch rented to a neighbor- in Okla.just north of red river. Bottomland sandy loam. Legumes fix nitrogen but need it in the soil to fix it. Red Spanish were best flavor back then. Love them fresh dug! I dont remember what bugs were bothersome to them though.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 3, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9471120

I grew some Virginia peanuts in containers a few years back just to see if I could. I planted ten containers (15 gallon) and probably had 2-3 plants in each. They got crowded but did pretty well. 1-2 plants probably would have been better. They kept popping up pegs and filled the entire surface of the containers. I was more than surprised the amount of peanuts I got out of each container*. It was fun, but I probably wouldn't grow them again, unless I had room to spare...which I usually don't.

I just mixed some gypsum with the soil and occasionally fertilized with a 5-5-5. Nothing special.

As far as pests, Army worms loved them, especially when they were small*. But BT took care of that problem in a week or 2.

In-ground and container growing is very different though. So I'm not sure if anything I have typed has helped :) I remember reading they like gypsum(sulfur and calcium) and a below neutral pH, around 6(my soil was 6.5).

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan   Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9471686

Thank you all. You HAVE helped. Something was eating them last year but I never did figure out what. So I'll get some new BT today (used up the last bottle last year). I have sandy loam soil, fairly neutral so I think I good to go there. Maybe just some balanced fertilizer. Or some bone meal. Or maybe both?

Farmerdill, do you hill peanuts? I forgot to do that last year and I think I should have.

This year I'm growing Texas Red and White and Shronce's Deep Black. Not sure which varieties those are, but half the fun is finding out!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9471868

No, I don't, but I do plant them on a list.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9471894

This year I plan to plant a few for the heck of it. I'm not even sure what variety, since I picked up the legumes at a seed swap, but I am 99% sure these are Virginia peanuts.

When I was a kid, I remember we planted peanuts one year (...stop me if I've told this story...) and at the end of the year, my Dad growled in frustration, "Well THESE didn't do anything!" right as he pulled up the plants. :)

Surprise!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9472521

LOL! Thanks for the good morning giggle.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 8, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9475591

I don't grow peanuts but have tried before just remember that you are planting the favorite food of both gophers and Voles..Just sayin

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America