Butterfly Bush?

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Has anyone had any experience with planting a butterfly bush as a marginal or bog plant? I'm curious because they re supposed to get good moisture, but then also require well-drained soil.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

They can't stand to have wet feet - they require drying out before watering again, so I'd say no - a bog setting would kill this shrub.

That's what I was afraid of.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

There's something else you can try, if you really want it in your bog area - build a berm out of gravel and plant it there. It will still be in your bog, but will have dry feet!

I don't have a bog area actually. It's just that I have really sandy soil except for some of my raised beds which are amended. I keep losing butterfly bushes and with last year's drought, I don't expect I'll plant one again. I was just wondering how it would do as a marginal because I'm not likely to keep it well watered if we have another season like last year.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I have tried at lest 8 butterfly shrubs and lost all of them. They were all planted in beds. One in partial shade/sun. Some in full sun. Guess they just don't like this area. I keep my soil amended with cow manure and fertilize twice a year but hasn't helped. At last roundup I was told there is a variety just for Fl. I rec'd one but it doesn't look like its going to make it either. I saw a sign once that said "I tried but it died". I should get that for my butterfly shrubs. LOL
Bonnie

Ha. Good idea!

I guess i could just treat them as an annual, but keeping it alive during drought is questionable.

I wonder though, about Kay's bog idea. I'm expanding the pond this year, just a tiny bit, I'm wondering if I could just build in a little bog and berm for it. hmmmm. something to consider.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.