Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Help, Yellow leafs on Beans!!!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
penut
Mesa, AZ

April 3, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9470998

Recently planted some Bush Bean Dragon tongue wax in my garden and they started out doing great. The plants themselves have turned very light green/yellow and I am not sure how to diagnose the problem. I recently spread blood meal around the base of the roots but am wondering if this could be caused from overwatering? Heres a picture, thanks in advanced. I am gardening in arizona and the temps have been low of ~55 and highs of ~85 if that helps.

Thumbnail by penut
Click the image for an enlarged view.

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9471578

The cold temperatures could be the problem.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9471831

It takes awhile for blood meal to break down into a form that can be used by your plants, but I think you are on the right track.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9472166

It does look like low nitrogen or low P or K.

You might try a little soluble fertilizer to help them recover faster than the blood meal does. They don't look like they are suffering severely (yet).

I wonder whether blood meal on the surface needs water to help it break down. Soil microbes can't reach it if it is perched on top of mulch, and worms might n ot go there if it is dry.

If that is dripline watering, the water might bypass the surface, leave the blood meal dry, and never extract any Nitrogen or organic matter. Maybe a few sprayers are in order, until the blood meal breaks down?

Or maybe gently rake the blood meal into the top inch or so of soil so microbes can reach it ... while avoiding the bean roots.

Say, if you did not apply bean innoculent before sowing, I wonder if it might not be too late. It looks like coarse soil: maybe you could sprinkle some rhizobia powder on the surface, rake lightly, then water them in heavily enough to wash some down to the roots. Any bean will be a lot happier with its symbiont!

Just speculating.

Here's a question: can tomatoes steal nutrients away from beans? They look pretty close together.

>> wondering if this could be caused from overwatering?

The soil SURFACE doesn't look over-watered, but I know it never would look wet if you are drip-irrigating.

The soil looks coarse enough that it won't get anaerobic, and I assume AZ soil has fast drainage so over-watering seems almost impossible. You could always try watering the same amount, but less often, and check with a finger so be sure the soil stays damp enough, 3-4 inches deep

This message was edited Apr 4, 2013 6:22 PM
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9493815

Penut-------How are your beans doing now? Its been 2 weeks since you wrote about the light green leaves.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America