-
AuthorContent
brenda_gardens
Greensburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9471061

Will they live in a pot full of water? Do they need to be in a pot with dirt then into the water holding pot?
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
10:42 PM

Post #9471349

Mine live and propagate in just the water, but they are not upright and beautiful as they are when planted. If they aren't being knocked around by current, they will typically root into sludge or dirt on the bottom.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 4, 2013
12:37 AM

Post #9471365

There are many different plants called "Elephant Ears". It would be good to know which ones you are specifically talking about as it will allow people to provide the correct advice for the correct plant. Most Colocasia and some Alocasia will grow in water provided it's not too deep. Others prefer shallow water, or even just very wet soil. And some Alocasia will only tolerate well draining soil. Other Elephant ears such as Cyrtosperma and Typhonodorum will sit happily in a lot of water, but Xanthosoma must be well drained. None of them like totally dry soil.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9471437

Don't remember what variety mine are but I just stick them in a pot with rocks and lower them into the water to top of pot.
They do great but sometime get so big they flop over and I then cut them off cause fish nibble on them and they look ragged.

Bonnie
brenda_gardens
Greensburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9474995

Thanks for your comments.
I haven't bought tubers yet. So I will look for those you suggest, tropicbreeze.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9475217

All around Florida, elephant ears (and water lilys) grow in the retention ditches, in mucky water. The counties have a big machine that goes around and routs them out. If you want some of those, I'm sure one of us could box some up and send them to you for postage. They ARE INVASIVE.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 8, 2013
3:24 AM

Post #9475519

I always leave some elephant ears in my pond and they do well. in fact they thrive better than the ones in the ground.

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9490657

I bought 1 of those called black magic and it doesn fine just in pond water in a pot. Looks great.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9490659

BTW Belle, did you get some more fish?

Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 20, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9490830

Bonnie,
No new fish, Koi to the world i has nice looking kois. i never realized that some gold fish and shu bankins are as colorful as kois. He has some good looking sales

Belle

pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9490832

My Black Magics also did well just loose. Got huge, in fact, and were really pretty. I did find, though, that I had more winter kill that year with the roots exposed. Probably best to pot them up at least for the cold months.

I also have a water pot, separate from my pond, where I grow several varieties. It was originally a lotus pot that ended up full of EE pups instead, so it's mostly compost with about 4 inches of water. No filtration or anything. They all do well there too. Truth is, I have much better luck growing them in water than I do in the ground.
brenda_gardens
Greensburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9529424

Well, I find I have Colocasia Esculenta black magic. Thanks to yout comments, I am going to try it in a big caldron - 36" across, about 2 feet deep. I,ll keep its
It just under the water level. If I have success I'll post a picture.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America