Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: how to help my roses

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 1, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

April 4, 2013
3:12 AM

Post #9471383

I planted several rose bushes last year they all bloomed but one yellow rose, it had several branches but only one had leaves and it never bloomed . will it bloom this year? what should I do now to help my roses this growing season? when should I fertilize ? what should I use . I have two new roses to plant what do I need to add to soil if any thing? is it all right to plant them now ?thanks for any help
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9473168

It could bloom. It sounds like the majority of branches had no leaves because they were dead; can you visually tell? Dead or dried out branches can be safely pruned. If you are uncertain if a branch is not dead, you can start pruning but only in 1" increments; and stop pruning as soon as you notice that the branch is not dead.

You can help a rose by providing it with enough moisture, well draining/acidic soil and regular applications of fertilizers/amendments. New shrubs should be planted in Spring, probably near the middle of this month; see the links below. They are hungry kids and respond to applications of these materials very well. A fertilizer high in nitrogen like blood meal will make the plant develop more/new branches. A fertilizer high in phosphorus can help the plant develop more or stronger roots and blooms but I am not sure I would go buy Super Triple Phosphate as it is very very high in phosphorus, 0-45-0 sometimes).

Below is a link to the Duneland Rose Society in Indiana. There is a ling to consulting rosarians in your state that can provide specific answers.
http://home.comcast.net/~elainecole/

Below is a link to rose growing recommendations just for Indiana, made by Purdue University. It is very specific and full of information so get some tea or coffee and read it this weekend when you have time:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-128.pdf

Luis

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America