-
AuthorContent
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9471821

Someone said to put some fresh chopped/shredded vegetables in a planting hole w alittle dirt on top then put the plant in. Is this a good idea?
Thanks Catol =^.^=__?
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9471827

No that is not a good idea. The newly fresh chopped/shredded vegetables will probably heat up to such a degree the new plant would die. Compost the material first then you can add the compost to the hole when you plant new plants. I do suppose the amount of dirt you put over the shredded vegetables would be key here. The person who recommended that to you might have success doing that, but you would need to get the details of how much dirt and what amount of shredded vegetables I would think. I can see it might work, but why chance it until you know more about it?

This message was edited Apr 4, 2013 1:12 PM
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9472301

Do not dig the hole any deeper than the soil the plant is in now.
If you make any sort of loose dirt, soil.compost blend or anything else to put under the plant, then the plant can sink.
There are very few plants that tolerate having soil added above the original soil line on the trunk.

Dig the hole wider, but let the original soil in the container sit on undisturbed soil at the bottom of the hole. Back fill around the plant with a blend of original soil and the proper amendments for your soil. Often this additional material is organic matter, but composted, not freshly shredded.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America