Photo by Melody

Poultry and Livestock: What killed my goat? Chicken feed or bad alfalfa?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 19, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 4, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9472131

Pen conditions and yard conditions actually fairly good (not perfect). I got her 125 lbs of alfalfa on Sunday, she had eaten maybe 3 cups of it, along with goat chow. Not a big fan of noble goat, she preferred sweet feed, pregnant, probably with twins, hugely pregnant, good eater, good drinker, whole pond to drink from, availed herself of the low branches of pear, shrubs, and plenty of rye grass which she seemed to like, all good. Monday afternoon I let the hens on her lot free range and she got into the chicken pen and ate probably 3 cups of layena and a fair amount of scratch. I chased her out. Tuesday morning she got up with massive brown diarrhea. I went to the internet, it said too much grain, give probiox. I only had human probiotics, had her pen to clean up, and had to make calls, so I gave her dissolved probiotics (10 strain, safe stuff, give it to me and my dogs for dietary indiscretions) in water, and she did quit having diarrhea and started eating grass. Got the regular Probiox Tuesday afternoon, but she wouldn't let me get it near her mouth and was eating grass. so ok, also got her some Noble Goat (more green, less brown, she wasn't a fan) she didn't want much to do with it. Yesterday after work I picked up her favorite treat, dried apricots, and stuck a few in my pocket to try the probiox again, just to be sure she was ok, found her in the chicken pen, ate another cup or 2 of layena. she took the apricots except the ones with probiox in the middle. She was alive this morning when I left for work, resting in her clean straw in her pen. She was dead when I got home, and had been, no movement from her babies, or heart beat. (I have a stethoscope.)

I don't think I will honestly try to do a goat again, but I do have 100 lbs of goat feed and the facilities. Help? I'm going out to bury her now. She weighs between 120 and 140 lbs, Nubian doe.
Wormed March 24 with 3 ml ivermectin (minor cough, clumpy stool, kids due around May 10th so it was time)

This message was edited Apr 4, 2013 6:56 PM
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9472200

Very sad to lose your pet and her unborn babies. I have no clue at all what killed her, but maybe there is someone on here that raises goats that can help you figure it out.

I get so discouraged when I lose one of my chickens, especially when I know it was my own fault, through ignorance or neglect.
Someone on here always encourages me to "try again and don't give up" and I'm so glad they do. I'm still not a perfect chicken mama, but I do enjoy them very much. Even though they have destroyed all my backyard grass. :)

You aren't the first person to lose a goat and you won't be the last. I hope you feel better soon. I know it isn't easy. Death is never easy to see. Peace be with you. GB
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2013
10:29 PM

Post #9473329

It's only a guess but it sounds like the chicken feed is the culprit. I am sorry for your loss. I know from experience how it hurts.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 6, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9473494

Thank you folks. It was definitely something in the chicken pen. Had had been recently weaselproofed, maybe I missed a staple in cleanup. Or her death may have been caused by an avian disease she picked up in the chicken coop if she got ahold of manure as well as food. Doesn't bother the birds, fatal to goats, Coccidiosis

Don't know what she had, but I know that I won't have another goat sharing a lot with chickens, or until I have both more land and more time.
She was carrying twins, from all I've heard, if I hadn't been home for her kidding, I likely would have lost them all then. I work too much for this, and I am heart broken.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9477538

I'm no expert but I'm voting for the Chicken Feed as well. Too much protein too fast. Could have been bloat from overeating, too; which points back to the chicken feed. I've been told to really watch mine once they get pregnant as bloat can kill them fast.

For me loosing any animal is heart breaking. I am so sorry for your loss. Perhaps, once you do have more room you can try again.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 10, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9479146

Terri, I think you are right. The gal at the feed store who knows the most about goats said it didn't have to be a bacteria or a staple. 3 cups of layena, one of the richest chicken feeds, in an animal with 4 stomachs intended to make real meals out of low-nutrient weeds, yup, her final stool was small and black, something about what she did in processing all that chicken feed. It was a week's supply for those birds I had just put out when she conducted her raid, plus a couple of cups of scratch.

I know a lot more now. But I don't know if I can actually drink goat's milk without allergy issues. When I know the answer to that, I will consider a SMALLER nanny goat. (140 lbs of nubian is a LOT of goat to move whether to the vet or after her death.) Thank you for listening.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9479786

=). It does get better...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9480165

Goats milk is much easier to digest than cows milk. Pygmy goat milk is closer in taste to cows milk and they are easier to handle. My doe gets 1 cup of goat pellets a day.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9480225

I feed my Kikos even less pellets but only in the winter. They have to make up for it in hay and browse. Only a bare handfull of pellets in summer and only as a treat or to get them rounded up. The Kiko buck gets just a little more pellets in winter (he's bigger). In summer he only gets pellets in the morning if he looks like he's loosing weight (hasn't happened yet), and scant half cup in the evening. He's the best browser of the bunch. By contrast, his wether Boer buddy (to keep him company when the buck is not in with the girls) is the worst browser and must be fed a bit more. Gingersnap the Boer is on a diet right now. You really have to be careful with those pellets and protein levels. Our vet says to consult him once the girls get pregnant to see about feed. He thinks we have plenty of browse for them as is. I think a milker would need more feed for sure but the folks in my goat association who have milkers say you really have to be careful with their feed as well. I guess the point is to find a vet who knows about goats and also find someone at the farm supply store or feed store who is also into goats. Between the two plus everyone of Dave's you have a nice support group to consult. And then mistakes and life will still happen. Sometimes good and sometimes not so good. And you just keep going. I'm a goat newbie, too...

I hope you do get back into goats someday, find just the right breed for you, and that things settle in so you can really enjoy them.

Here's a couple of goat photos that might make you giggle a bit... First the Kiko and the Boer checking out the girls. This was taken right before the toe trimming rodeo and then the buck went in with the girls. Next is a photo of my oldest doe (a Spanish) who was raised wild. She is trying to teach the Boer to browse. He was a show wether and just didn't know how. Yes, he needs to go on that diet!

Be well!

This message was edited Apr 11, 2013 12:54 PM

This message was edited Apr 11, 2013 12:59 PM

Thumbnail by terri_emory   Thumbnail by terri_emory         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9480249

I need to work on my fence. Some of my wire is getting old. I sold my younger doe so I only have one goat now. I am going to put my pony in with her until I sell her.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 11, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9480282

Toe trimming rodeo is another thing. I didn't know I needed to trim toes until Miz Goat's got kind of curly at the edges, then I used heavy scissors (for cutting tin) and gently trimmed, to not injure her. I gather every 4 to 6 weeks, but what IS the right tool?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9480781

I use the same thing. The flippers for the horse are too big for the goat. Mine runs on rocky ground so I seldom have to trim.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9481094

Kikos need trimming once a year usually.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9481654

I had a goat that got in the chicken feed, and it did kill her
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 12, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9481745

Well, I am sorry for your loss jordankittyjo, and I am sorry for mine. Darn goats, they have a way of getting into mischief but they are so sweet they have a way of getting in my heart too.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9483053

My doe is much friendlier with me now that she is by herself. I hope she gets on with the pony.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 13, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9483074

My goat followed me around like a dog, and she would DANCE when I went out to see her and feed her when I got home from work, just race around the shed like a crazy-goat and kick her heels up. I think being alone made her think I was a goat. If I wanted her to run for the back lot, all I had to do was start running and she would follow my lead. I hope yours gets on with the pony Cajun. I can't imagine having a pony. I can't imagine trying to feed one with our droughts...

Me, I'm going to be sure I can drink goats milk, then hunt up a pair of little dwarf goats, small enough to take to the vet. No pony.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9483366

my doe liked to ride the golf cart, come in the house and play with the dogs. she thought she was a dog
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 14, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9484013

What kind of doe was she Jordan? Mine was a nubian, she was afraid of the dogs even though she was as big or bigger

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9484484

she was a boer(sp)? I bottle fed her, and she would play with the dogs, there for she grew up thinking she was a dog. she would even jump up on me like a dog to be petted

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America