Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 5, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9472577

Could someone tell me when the best time to set my mums outside? I have the Daturas and Moonflower vines in the picture window and they love that sunshine coming in, it is warm and I try to keep them watered. As I have told you almost everything I have planted is coming up and I will have no shortage of flowers this summer. I do have a question, my Amaryllis is doing good but it has red on the leaves, is that anything to be concerned about? The other one had red blotch on it and it died, this one seems to be doing alright but the red is all over the leaves. What do you think I should do, and when do you think I can take the leaves off of the rose? I would like to do it this weekend it is going to be in the 60's.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9473259

the mums are more hardy and you can probably put them out now. if it should freeze, you can just it should help wake them up and encourage growth. they need the sunlight and day length reaction from being outside.

i'm not sure what the amaryllis leaves problem is if it is all over them. it could just be them dying back. you can hold off on water with the amaryllis since it's done flowering (correct?)

look for the buds on the rose showing signs of waking up.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 6, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9473673

There ARE buds on the rose now, I uncovered her and asked my hubby to get some more potting soil since the ground has sunk some during the winter. I have a question, I found one of my naked lady bulbs that something had dug up, I replanted it in the back yard beside the tiger lilies, it has greenery and roots, do you think it will keep growing? I put it in the sunshine and I read that they love sunshine, the more the better. I think tomorrow I am going to try to clean the flower bed and find the best place to plant the mums, i don't have a great place to put them in front, which is where I wanted to put them so I can enjoy them, would it be alright just to put them out in the pot? The temps are supposed to be in the 40's and 50's at night and next week the daytime temps are supposed to be in the 60's. I figure if I leave them in the pot I can bring them in when winter gets here and put them in the bedroom again.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 6, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9473952

great about the rose, the extra soil will help.

the bulb should keep growing. good thing only the leaves are due to grow in spring. usually a bulb can stand losing the first few leaves because there are plenty more waiting inside. keep it watered, but not soggy, since the roots were dug up.

leaving the mum in the pot is a good idea, and will make it easier for you to monitor. it's fine either way.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 7, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9475093

This is the mystery bush I was trying to identify, I am leaning towards Lilac, my hubby took the picture, I could not get a clear enough one to send to you. These are the buds, and there are two leaves and they are a purple color right now and small, but there are buds all over this plant. So if you can tell by this picture I would be grateful if you would either confirm or deny what I have figured out. Also do Hummingbirds like Lilac (if that is what it is)?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9475112

i'm going to agree, that does appear to be a lilac. but you won't know for sure until it flowers, of course. maybe in a week the leaves will be more easy to identify. the buds do look like lilac buds, and i think they can have a purplish red coloring to them when they're young

and about the hummingbirds, i'm not sure. but, you most likely will see butterflies and bees, which are always welcome

This message was edited Apr 7, 2013 8:02 PM
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 7, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9475174

thank you coastalzonepush, I would like to see the butterflies but not crazy about the bees, both my hubby and me are allergic to bee stings, hopefully we can sit on the bench far enough away to have the bees not get upset with us sitting there. I love butterflies and actually forgot about having any flowers for them, I am going to plant purple MG's in the flower bed next to the trellis so they can grow up the trellis. Here are two pictures I took today, one is my Tiger Lilies in the back yard and my Naked Lady plant that was dug up.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9476844

you're welcome.
well, the bees shouldn't be too big of a problem, i don't think there will be tons. bees feed at certain times of the day too. i know it's hard when you're allergic. the lilacs will only be blooming for a certain time, and then they won't bother you.

yeah, your lilies are on their ways!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 9, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9477263

I went and checked my tiger lilies and they love the sunshine and warm temps, they are growing fast, the Irises are growing fast too. I am not too sure about the Naked Lady plant that I replanted, so far it just looks like it is sitting there. But they love the warmer weather just like everyone does, everyone at work is complanining that the weather is so good and they have to be inside the plant. You better believe I will take pictures when it blooms, I always wanted some lilacs but never had either room or money to get them, but since I have them, they will come up year after year won't they?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9478100

Even plants that look like they're just 'sitting there' are growing underground. Most plants like to grow a good root base before putting out leaves.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 10, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9478775

I checked the lilacs again and yep, they are lilacs, my hubby and I are keeping an eye on them. He is as anxious as I am(well maybe not as anxious) to see if they will bloom. This rain we are having is helping everything grow better. So when we can get a few pictures that are not blurry from the wind blowing we will post some pics of the leaves. If you zoom on this picture, you can see the leaves on the lower part of the plant really well.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2013
11:18 PM

Post #9479579

i'm not sure on the blooming size or age, but yours looks pretty big.

is this it's first year with you?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 11, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9480016

No, I got them about 2 years ago, I did not know what they were so I did not do anything to help them grow better. I thought it was Japanese Privet. So I am glad to finally know what it is. I am going out to see how big the leaves are, we had a lot of storms go through last night and the wind blew a section of the latticework off, thankfully it was not the part with the bird feeders on it. Speaking of bird feeders, I have to refill the seed feeder, they have been hitting it hard. Here is Rosey, she is doing good too. As you can see, she is getting bud eyes, hopefully I will have at least one good bloom before winter.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 13, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9482493

I went out today and took some pictures of some of my flowers that are growing, the first is my tiger lilies in the backyard, the second is my lilacs and the third but not least is my rose. Even with all this rain, everything is doing ok, going to plant purple Morning Glories as soon as the weather warms up a bit more.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes      

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9482690

in no time you'll have great growth. the rain helps the plants to come out of dormancy, and bring you those May flowers!

look out for morning glories where you had them last year, since some can reseed.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 13, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9482764

Ok coastalzonepush, I had forgotten that, how can I tell if I am going to have blooms on the Lilacs? Since I have never had them before I don't know what to look for. Any help on that?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 13, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9482847

I went out and looked and you were right, as far as I know these are morning glories coming up now, I took some pictures and maybe you can tell me if I am right.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9482882

the lilacs bloom later in spring, or maybe early summer for you. you'll see the blooms forming a few weeks before it's time.

those look like something, but not morning glories unfortunately. those are something like a tree or shrub, with growth from last year. leave it there and wait to see what the leaves look like.

the morning glories should look like two leaves, opposite each other, and they are kind of heart shaped. more like tooth shaped.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 13, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9482922

that figures, my hubby got me a bag of all purpose potting soil, I was thinking of transplanting the moonflowers into a bigger pot and they can be by themselves, right now they are in with moonvines. I do think that I have morning glories coming up, I saw a couple of leaves that look like what you are talking about, but as I look closer at them, I have no idea what they are. It will be interesting to watch them grow.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9482944

once your night time temperatures stay above 50 or above 55, it should be ok for them to at least be put outside to get used to the environment. remember that immediate exposure to the sun will be harsh on them since they've been cozied up indoors.

that's one of the problems with spring, so many things popping up, so much green, sometimes you don't know weeds from good plants until their true leaves grow out.
if you google "morning glory seedlings" you'll see there are some variations to the basic shape of the leaves.

actually, now i feel like growing some morning glories! haha
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 13, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9482965

Do you think it is too late to start Morning Glories for this summer? I can germinate the seeds since I have a flourescent lamp to put them under, what do you thnk? Is it better to just plant them out in the soil, or start them inside and transplant them?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9483136

hm, well it depends on how warm your soil is. did your last average frost date pass yet? you can do the indoor and outdoor to see what germination rates you'll get.
i do think there is still time for you to start some indoors, since outside is still risky. by the time they grow a set of leaves or two, the ground outside will probably be in a more favorable temperature range.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 14, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9483606

They say that April 15 is the last frost date, but I am not sure, tomorrow is the 15th, but this is Ohio, just because it says that does not mean there won't be cold nights yet. I soaked one Morning Glory seed last night and it has started to sprout in the container with the water! I knicked the pointy end and I think I should put it in a small pot to grow until I am satisfied that the ground is warmer like you said. I think I have a small pot that I can put them in or maybe a plastic bowl that I used for something else, recycle,recycle,recycle! I will take a picture of it when I get it fixed.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 14, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9483892

I have planted one seed in a pot that I got from the Amaryllis box, I did punch a hole in the bottom, I have 3 more soaking , I did knick the pointy end of the ones in the water.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9483956

that's great, the seeds should sprout leaves by the weekend!
Google Images: winter sowing - you'll love it (if you haven't done it already)

actually, since you do like reusing those plastic containers etc., you can try this: take a clean milk bottle, poke holes in the bottom, cut it in half below the handle but not all the way around, fill the bottom with your soil and seeds. this container can go outside in a sunny sheltered spot. the idea is to have a little greenhouse, and the top of the milk bottle can easily be opened for ventilation & water. this also protects the seedlings. it can even stay out at night, unless you are expecting very cold weather below 35.

it's called winter sowing, but it can still be done now. i did marigolds this way in April (NY) and they were very healthy.

you can also use bowls, and other things with a plastic lid.

i'll find an article for you

This message was edited Apr 14, 2013 8:05 PM
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9483963

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/959/

there you go! that member wrote great winter sowing articles. that article even has your morning glories! and like the article says, you'll still have to protect them on the coldest night - if they happen anymore but basically, you are starting your warm annuals outdoors.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 14, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9484007

So, would putting plastic over the top of the pot and put the flourescent lamp close to it? I put the other seeds in the potting soil and watered it good. So now we just wait, patience is hard to come by,especially for me.LOL!!!!! So will be happy to see the sprouts come up.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9484043

plastic helps keep the seeds warm, humid and moist. indoors it can become a problem if fungus starts to grow.

the plastic outside gives them a safe environment to grow in while the ground may still be cold. plus outside they will have the benefit of full sunlight.

you can try this: take one of the pots, put in a large ziploc or plastic bag and put it outside.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 14, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9484217

I may try that, I should be able to find a large ziplock bag somewhere. Thanks for the advice, I left my mums outside tonight, it is supposed to stay in the high 50's. Going to try to put a pot outside with the morning glories in it for awhile tomorrow, it is supposed to be in the 70's.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 15, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9484899

The pot that I put the MG in was rather large so I put the bag over the top of the pot. I have it beside the pot with the mums. I will take a picture and you can tell me if it is a good idea. Should I put them both where they will get full sun? Do you think the mums will come back? The second picture of the mums alone I am not sure it will. Any advice will be great.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9485068

Scratch the bottom of the truck near the soil and if its green, you're okay.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 16, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9485886

I scraped it and there is no green at all, does that mean it is dead?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 16, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9486009

Here is a picture of rosey, as you can tell she survived the winter, can anyone tell me how much taller she will have to get before she blooms? And is she a repeat bloomer? She sure has her protection of thorns and several bud eyes, but the one stem looks kinda dead on the top part of the stem, should I cut it down to where the bud eye is?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 18, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9488459

My Mg's are coming up! I have them in the house under a flourescent lamp, and I see at least two coming up!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9488488

Woohoo!!!
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9488813

your rose will probably start blooming in late spring. May and June are good rose months. roses usually bloom in flushes.

the "dead" stem isn't really a problem, since it isn't old and gray or too big. wait to see if growth does come from somewhere there. if not, you can prune it if you want.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 19, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9489550

I will continue to put the mums outside when it is warm enough, right now we are experiencing a cool snap, it was in the 80's yesterday, today it is supposed to get to 47! Quite a drop, so the mums stay inside today and maybe for a few days until it warms up again, my mg are up and out of the potting soil, but they look funny, I don't remember the others looking this way, I will try to take a picture to show you what I mean.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 19, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9489615

Would pruning it help it any? I was thinking of repotting it in another pot with the fresh potting soil that my hubby got for me,it has sand, perlite, composted forest products. I have a bigger pot but don't want it if it is not going to help any.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9489827

leave the glories, that's just the seed coat. if you try and remove it by hand, you might lose the seedlings altogether. the leaves are still developing and using the nutrients inside the seed.

ok, now we are at a point of confusion! in my previous post, i was referring to your rose with the pruning.
i think your last post is asking about the mums, right?
if it's about the mums - yes go ahead and cut back the old stuff. giving it a new pot and soil won't help if it isn't growing yet. it needs moisture and sun to signal growing season. it should be soon.
if it's about your rose - you can prune the portion you think is dead. it will help the appearance, and perhaps the lower buds will wake up.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 19, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9490277

It was not the rose it was the mums, thank you for the info on everything, I knew I planted mg before but I forgot how they come up, the weather is getting really cold and it is raining with a mix of snow, so we put a plastic bucket over Rosey so she won't freeze. My hubby had a box over her but when it started to rain, we thought a bucket would be better. As to the mg, you were right, one of them has already shed its seed coat and is a lovely shade of green, the other three have not shed theirs yet. The rose does not need pruning, the neighbor who ran over it with the lawn mower did the pruning for me.LOL! Thanks again coastalzonepush. How far down should I cut back the old stufff?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9490749

ooh, that's cold weather. i hope it warms up for you soon after the storm passes. good idea with the bucket.

you're welcome!

oh, right, well i guess your neighbor isn't too bad haha! there's a saying about roses, you can't kill them by over pruning them

the old stuff, hm, you can go ahead and cut it all back. you can leave maybe the bottom third of it, but the new growth should come from the base anyway.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 20, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9490764

I just cut a bunch of the mums off, it looks rather pathetic like a kid with a bad haircut!haha! I have it in the entryway, it does not get much heat except what comes in through the curtains we have up, and it is in front of the window, so now we play the waiting game. It is not supposed to get much warmer the next few days so I will keep the bucket on Rosey especially tonight we have freeze warnings out for our area.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 24, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9495583

I threw my mums away, there was no new growth and everything was brown. I pulled it up and there was not very many roots and what there was tiny and it was dead. So my hubby is going to get me some new ones, hopefully I will be able to get them in the ground early enough to build roots so it will survive the winter . My poinsetta also died, I was moving things around brushed up against the stems and they broke, they were dried out. Oh well, if you measure my sucesses against my failures in the flower growing business, you will see I have had more sucesses than failures! I have a question, how much bigger does my moonvine have to get before it will start blooming? I gave one to a friend of mine and it was one that I had started with all the others and he has a bud on it already! Here is a picture of mine so far, how big does it have to get? I have it in the picture window and it gets all the morning sun.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9497394

yes, starting with fresh mums sounds great. getting them in spring is also great. you can even sow some seeds, but they might not be perennial.

don't worry about the poinsettia, they are almost meant to be thrown away with the way the poinsettia market works. even here, after you plant one or so outside, the rest (if you buy any) can just be tossed with the yard waste.

i'm not sure, about your moonvine. the first bud should become visible from the top, as a bud, you'll notice the difference in appearance from the leaves. maybe the one your friend got was just different in nature.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 25, 2013
10:16 PM

Post #9497459

Is coffee grounds good for potted plants? He said he just used water and coffee grounds. Got some from work and jjust would like to know if it would help the ones I got, the one he has is one of the ones that I gave away when I sprouted all of them. He said it was the size of a softball. It bloomed about 4 oclock yesterday, and boy was he surprised!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 27, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9499354

The neighbor gave me the moonvine that I gave to her, the leaves had fallen off! I watered it good and have it under the flourescent lamp and am going to see if I can save it, the soil was very dry to the touch. So I watered it like I said and am hopeful it will survive. Here is the picture and also I have a question, if I was to go to the neighbor's and got a couple of her morning glories and transplanted them to a pot inside would they grow? I had red ones last year and they did not re-seed I did not take any of the seeds and they all turned brown and dropped to the ground, I might have one or two volunteers coming up but not sure. The ones I have in the window are doing real good and I was going to transplant them to the backyard so they would cover the fence. Do you have any advice on the moonvine? And here is a picture of the morning glories in the window, do you think they will transplant very well?

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 28, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9500080

Do different types of morning glories have a different leaf pattern instead of a heart shape? I got a couple out of the neighbor's yard where she had them and they were morning glories but they had different colors and different shapes of the leaves. I thought all mg's leaves were heart-shaped, I guess I was wrong, I sure hope I did not dig up any trumpet vine seedlings! Here is a front and side view of what I dug up and they were right around where the morning glories were last year.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9500158

they can have different leaves. when they are grown, they usually have some variation. i just thought the general shape when they sprout is somewhat heart shaped.

not sure what those new seedlings can be. maybe morning glories. it's too soon for me to be able to tell. they could also be weeds, you never know.

coffee grounds improves soil to make it lighter and better for roots. it improves moisture control in both ways. and it conditions the soil. try adding some to your plants this year and see how they do.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 30, 2013

Post #9502764

Planted another moonvine seed, and went over and got another seedling from my neighbors, I think it is a seedling from the trumpet vine that is against the fence. I am going to see just how big it will get in a container, it will be interesting if it will bloom in there. If it does, I can control it better and it won't drop seeds all over the place. Wish me luck.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2013
10:49 PM

Post #9504949

Lol, good luck! The trumpet vines here grow to fast for me. They are near blooming already! I collected seeds in September. Would there be any chance they are still usable? I wish I could avoid this "p" word we all hate!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 3, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9506747

I have trouble with the 'p' word too,lol! I planted my morning glory seedlings today, and watered them too, one don't look too good, it won't stand up it keeps falling over. Oh, well, the two that were bigger I planted on the inside of the latticework the other two I planted next to the fence behind the Rose of Sharon. I might plant a few more there just in case they don't make it because I read that sometimes mg transplanted don't do so good. I am thinking of putting my moon vine in a bigger pot and putting it next to the fence that the mg are at, that way I will have moon flowers and morning glories in the same place and it would look really neat.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 4, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9508435

Well, several things have happened since my last post, my hubby and the neighbor tore off all the old latticework on the street side of the boardwalk and put up new and white lattice. So when I plant my mg which are Heavenly Blue, they will look so neat on that white. The morning glory that I said was falling down and would not stand up, I went out today and it was up and having no trouble staying UP. I put the moon vine in a bigger pot and put it next to the morning glories that I planted on the inside of the lattice. I still have this mystery plant, I talked to the neighbor that I dug it up from and she said that the trumpet vine does not spread by seedlings, it spreads by cuttings, so tomorrow I might go and get a cutting from the one in the front yard, so here is a picture of the mystery plant which is growing quite well. I hope it is not something poisonous.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 6, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9510358

I planted this moon vine yesterday in a bigger pot, do you think it will be alright for it to get rained on? I got it this far, I don't want it to get damaged beyond my control to fix. That is why it is in a pot, I can control it better in a pot than in the ground. I had to bury 3 forks tines up to keep the squirrels from digging in it, they tried this morning, do you think I need more potting soil in the pot or do you think that is enough?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 7, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9511791

I was out taking pictures and came across these two plants next to my Irises, can someone tell me number one are they poisonous and number two what they are? The second is a pretty purple flower that I also came across, it would be nice to know what it is too.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013

Post #9511854

The first one looks like Toxicodendron radicans...poison ivy

http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/bio406d/images/pics/ana/toxicodendron_radicans.htm

The second looks like a wild violet

http://www.mirrorscapes.net/weeds/wildviolet.htm
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9511963

As far as my knowledge goes, the violet is actually quite pretty when used in gardens. If you don't like where it is, moving it may not be hard.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9511968

I really like them...I have both wild and cultivated violets scattered through the garden.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9511977

I don't think the first one is Poison Ivy. I've never seen any that are serrated like that. Plus, do they survive in OH?
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9512023

Hey, I'm to young to know Lol, but I do recall teddy getting poison ivy before.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9512068

I looked it up and OH does get it so...my bad. LOL
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9512234

I wasn't sure, at 15 I don't travel much Lol.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9512236

Kwanjin...you may be right...I saw what looked like leaves of three and I know there are variances in the leaf margins...

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1015.html

Virgina creeper would be my other thought

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/singlerecord.asp?id=460
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9512247

Is it possible it is some species of rubus? That weed site themoonhowl linked to has that as an entry. It followed the leaf number, and shape.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9512268

It is quite possible...but most rubrus would have a thorn or two even that small. Teddie can take a look without touching the plant and see if there are thorns.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9512301

I'm not sure what else it could be lol. I think my society garlic has a disease or something. The flowered emerge warped and speckled with darker purple spots, yet the leaves are fine. Any ideas?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9512324

That is curious...Tulbaghia violacea is pretty much pest and disease free...snails and slugs are about the only thing I've found to be any problem for them...maybe thrips?

http://www.plantzafrica.com/planttuv/tulbaghviol.htm

http://www.tulbaghia.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

I pulled up this info on garlic as there may be some insight there.

http://www.herbsociety.org/factsheets/Garlic Guide.pdf
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9513248

Thanks, I'm looking into it. Nothing I've googled seem to be of help
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9514995

My verbena is just bursting with purple flowers. This is the first large flush in five years. Photos will be posted soon.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 10, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9515619

I have a bud on my rose! I also have my Irises getting their buds too, I took a picture of both to let you see how happy I am. I just hope Rosey can grow the bud into a blossom this year, I am not sure about the mystery plant I know it is not a Lilac because there are no buds and no thorns or anything, it is just a mass of greenery.

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9515762

That's great Teddy! I bet they will be wonderful this year.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9517092

see that Teddy, your Rosy repaid you for all the time you spent on her! i'm so happy for you, and i know you'll enjoy your irises again!
now to see if the lilac will bloom. they do bloom around the same time as both roses and those irises, so just keep an eye out.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 11, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9517127

Ok, I will go out to check on it, my hubby got me a rose for Mother's Day even though I am not a mother technically. I grow plants and I love my birds so maybe I am sorta! Be right back to report about the Lilacs. No blooms yet, but there is a bunch of greenery.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9517188

I don't know if it gets cold enough here for lilacs, but we did have a major freeze last winter(8F). I must rush to the vegetable forum to find out about my tomato's possible disease. The leaves are curled and small, the flowers don't seem to produce fruit, the stems are spotted with small brown-black dots(Don't seem to be any insect).
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9517207

Here are some photos of my favorite plants in the front and back gardens. The first is my society garlic, which has stopped making the weird mutated flowers, the second my Moss Verbena(Purple), and the last 2 are of my Confederate(Star)Jasmine, which smells amazing right now with the recent low winds.The Jasmine lines my pool, so swimming is a must during the blooming season!The light reflections is caused by the sun being almost directly above me while I took the pictures.

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22   Thumbnail by Bloomfly22   Thumbnail by Bloomfly22   Thumbnail by Bloomfly22   

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9517208

Here is one of my wonderful Iceberg Rose, which managed to survive the 8F temperature.It is a young plant, maybe even smaller than Rosey lol!

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 11, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9517335

Is it a hybrid tea rose too?
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9517376

I think so, Ill have to check the tag tomorrow. Lol! I kept the tag on the pot it was in, as I keep all my nursery pots for starting young plants in. The roses are Semi-double to Single, grow in bunches of 1-5, smell great, and turn a blushing pink in cooler weather.(that last one im not sure why it happens)
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 12, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9517922

I went out and planted my nice plump Heavenly Blue morning glories, I planted 49 of them in 3 different places, also my hubby went and got some moth balls so the rabbits would not nip off the bud that Rosey has. I also put them in different parts of the Iris bed and on either end of where I planted some of the Morning Glories. It is kind of interesting, the last time I planted Morning Glory seeds it was on Mother's Day, go figure. I think that out of 49 seeds, I should have some come up.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9518324

HERE'S MY FIRST iRIS of the season , these were taken two days ago ,it is still blooming
Going to re-try hardy trailing ice plant it did not make it through the winter here , I still don't know if it is hardy here , so at the end of the season I will try keeping one in a pot , probably . Depends on the seeds I get .. if any ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9518397

The Irises look amazing teddy! Do you have the species/hybred name?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9518407

The names for mine are in a crashed computer , I don't remember this one's name but Conjuration (budded) and Amaryllis are to come. So when the on button and an extracting hard drive are attached to the other computer ,I can return to adding the flowers names ..
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 20, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9527124

Here are two of the first Irises I have that have bloomed and also have a question and a picture of one of Rosey's buds. This one looks like it is going to start opening soon, or am I just hoping too much?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9527144

It shouldn't be too much longer...the tips of the calyx will begin to spread when it is ready to open.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 21, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9528314

I see what you mean. Here is what I found when I went out this morning. As you can tell there is some color, I sure hope it is the Peace rose, but whatever color it is, I am just so glad it is blooming!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9528347

It will look like this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evpeters/5641085609/

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9528579

thought a few more might cheer .. some NOID Iris and a clematis Oh yeah ,good old wild Alaska Daisies ..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9528912

The Irises look wonderful juhur! Its incredibly hot here already(sometimes in the 90's).So im being kept busy watering off the normal system schedule.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9528960

just a few more days Teddy! great picture from themoonhowl showing how it will be. then the petals will unfurl like this.

my roses never turn out very nice once they open all the way.

very pretty, the pale yellow iris and purple clematises are great!

Thumbnail by coastalzonepush   Thumbnail by coastalzonepush         

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9529219

Bloomfly22 wrote:The Irises look amazing teddy! Do you have the species/hybred name?

Oh dear, lol. I addressed the wrong person.(Though yours are still pretty Teddy lol) Forgive me on that.

This message was edited May 21, 2013 8:08 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2013
9:16 PM

Post #9529226

Roses are amazing ,i never have much luck with them . Only as a few they are a long ...time favorite .. Those are stupendous !!!great color too !!!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 22, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9529578

well, you might as well know now, the moonflower vine and the datura that I had in pots got dug up and destroyed by the squirrels, and either something bit or for some reason it fell off before opening all the way was the rose bud. It looks like it just fell off, the other one that I had did the same thing. What would be the reason for that? I still have two moonvines and two daturas in the picture window, can I just keep them in there? I am afraid to put them out in the pots now, I even had moth balls and plastic forks(tines up) in there too.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 22, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9529648

here is a picture of the bud, it does not have thrips and it looks like it just popped off. The second picture shows the botttom of the bud. Do you think it needs watering?

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 23, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9530968

Danger Alert! Be careful in your gardens and backyards now, there is a nasty plant around called poodle-dog bush, I had never heard of it before but that is what got me, I have it on my ankle again, only on the right one this time, but I am off work until Tuesday. It gives you a rash somewhat like poison ivy but it is more painful and there are bigger blisters. I have contact dermatitis, I went to the dr and get this, she did not know what it was so she sent me to St.Rita's in Lima. The dr in the emergency room figured out what it was and gave me a cream that is Clobetasol Propionate 0.05% and a steroid to take by mouth. I have to put this cream on very sparingly because it so strong and thinly.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9531039

Wow...are you sure it was Turricula parryi (Eriodictyon)? That plant is a native to California and shows up after fires.What did the plant you contacted look like?

http://www.redorbit.com/education/reference_library/science_1/plants/1112637359/tupa2/
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 23, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9531091

we are unsure what it looks like,

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9531129

The link I posted has a picture of it...pretty purple flowers.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 23, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9531243

I don't know what the plant looks like that I brushed against, I went into the backyard to set the live trap and check on my Tiger Lilies, so sometime between then and now I got it and it hurts and itches like crazy and sometimes it feels like there are ants inside the bandages scurrying around, I know there isn't any but sometimes it feels like it is. I am still leaning towards poison ivy because when I got it before it did the same thing. The cream seems to be softening up the blisters and when I moisten the wrappings it feels good on my foot.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9531256

I would tend to agree with you, more likely poison oak, ivy or sumac than Turricula parryi

Sorry you have it...try ice packs over the bandage to help with the itching.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 23, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9531360

My hubby took these pictures in case it ever happens again, the first one is the whole foot, the second is a close-up of one of the blisters, the cream seems to be making the blisters come open and seep which feels better. If you have a weak stomach I would advise you not to look, it is on my foot and it grosses me out when I take the wrapping off. You can be sure I am NEVER going in the backyard AGAIN!!!!!!!

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9531575

We hope you get better fast teddy! As far as I know, Palmdale does not get these plants, but thanks for the warning, Ill keep my eyes peeled for anything similar. There are quite a few plants around here(desert shrubs) that cause itching and maybe blisters, but none as bad as your photos show.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9531582

Bloomfly, check out this link

http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-cname=Turricula
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9531701

Oh, that's not good then. Thanks for bringing that link up moon! I don't think I have seen this yet, but I haven't looked all around the wild areas in the hill across the street. The reports of this plant seem to cluster around the Lancaster-Palmdale area. I hope I dont meet this plant in my yard!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 23, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9531890

I hope not either, my hubby had some nurse friends of his checking it out and we all agreed it was a very bad case of poison ivy and they suggested that I do exactly what the doctor prescribed plus I am soaking it in tepid water o0nce or maybe twice a day, the good part is some of the blisters are getting softer and going down but it is a very slow process, at least I can still walk.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9532795

You are very welcome Bloomfly.

Teddie...you can use ice packs to help with the swelling and itching.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 26, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9534429

I went over to the neighbor's house and took pictures of her flowers, they have moved out and left these there, are any of these easy to grow in shade and transplant well? I would rather plant them on pots that way I can move them to where they need to be.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9534451

The last 2 pics are hostas...they do very well in the shade.

http://www.hostasdirect.com/hosta-info/seasonal-hosta-care
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 27, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9535756

This is my moon vine in the bedroom, I took the pic from the outside of the house, does it look alright to you? I thought about putting Jobe fertilizer stakes in the rose bush and the moon vine pot, would that be a good idea? As you can see, it does not seem to want to twine around anything. I have it in a roasting pan because I could not find anything else big enough to be able to water it from the bottom.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 27, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9536270

A mystery bush, maybe you guys and gals can identify it for me. Here is a picture of it, and it grows on old wood. One person says Honeysuckle and one says Lilac. Everyone is leaning towards Honeysuckle, maybe you can help me out.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2013
3:32 AM

Post #9536561

Below is what the bush honeysuckles look like. It's considered invasive in my state. Apparently in yours as well. I don't know for 100% certainty that's what you have but possibly.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/singlerecord.asp?id=840

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 29, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9538126

Wish me luck, I took a look at the rose bush and several buds are showing color! I hope they do bloom, they seem awful small, but maybe they will this summer. I read somewhere that human hair will help because of the calcium in it, so I put some of that around it, plus I am hoping the squirrels or rabbits don't bite the buds off before they get a chance to bloom. I planted 3 more Moon vine seeds under the bedroom window, it gets a lot of sun there, got to find something for them to climb on when they start to grow. I have 3 other moon vine plants and they don't seem to want to twine at all. Maybe someone can give me some advice, I would like to plant them outside but the squirrels won't leave them alone, I probably am taking a chance by planting the seeds that I did.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 29, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9538243

This is what I meant when in my last post I said Rosey had a lot of buds that were showing color. I just finished putting some coffee grounds around her and she bit me!LOL! She has a fantastic protection of thorns and some of them are pretty big! I also put them around the moon vine plant in the bedroom, and will put some in the ones in the picture window too. But I have another picture that I will add here and show you one special bud that is real close to opening up soon.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9538251

Teddie...are those fuzzies on the rose buds spider mite webs? They could cause bud drop on your roses.

http://sfservices.syngenta.com/TechInformation.aspx?ID=Weekly_Tips100

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5908119_spider-mites-roses.html
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 29, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9538296

that is cotton from the cottonwood tree.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 30, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9539251

I am so happy, I went out and this is what I found! My feet are not going to touch the ground in weeks!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9539280

Bravo! So happy your rose is hanging in there.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 30, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9539407

I planted 3 moon vine seeds and the pesky squirrels keep digging them up so this time I sprinkled cayenne pepper on the top after I replanted them, do you think that will stop them? I have a couple more moon vine seedlings that I would like to plant outdoors but I am afraid that if I do, they will dig them up again. The pepper won't hurt the seeds will they?
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9539946

I don't think so, but I will do some researching to be sure.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 31, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9540782

Patience pays off!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9540797

If only we didn't have the "p" word lol! Mi ice rug rose is pushing out the second flush of bus. Last flush was wonderful, with most of the little plant covered in flowers. I think it is time to trim my verbena, since it getting leggy.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 31, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9540817

This color does not look like the peace rose, it is too red, or is it just my imagintation?
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9542329

It may not be a peace rose, but it also could be one. I'm just now entering the world of roses with my iceberg rose, so it's hard to say. I had heard that Tea roses open a certain way, but I don't know if it true.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 1, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9542478

At least it is healthy, here is an updated picture. I thought it was going to be bigger than that.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 2, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9543097

Here is the first bloom on my hybrid tea rose, I figured out since it is still small the blooms won't be as big until she grows more, but I promised you that your site would get the first bloom picture so here it is! She might not be the color it was supposed to be, but she is healthy and beautiful, got a question, got me some Jobe's fertilizer spikes for beautiful houseplants, would it help the rose to put one with her too?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9543351

I would check the balance of nutrients on the houseplant spikes and the needs of a standard tea rose, in case there is an imbalance in nutrients.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 2, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9543396

ok, thanks Bloomfly22, I just planted my moon vine that I had in the bedroom, it had been out in the pot for a few days, and it is cloudy and cool today so I thought I would see what it does. I put coffee grounds in the hole that I dug, put a lot of the miracle-gro potting soil that it was in with it and coffee grounds and cayenne pepper to keep the squirrels from digging it up. Tell what you think about it. The red of course is the cayenne pepper, here is the overall pic. I am hoping it will grow up the lattice and bloom.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 2, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9543426

Is a nkp of 13-4-5 ok for the hybrid tea rose? They say that roses are heavy feeders, so I don't want to mess her up, I won't use these spikes until I hear from you.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9543509

Teddie, you can use them, but that breakdown will mostly promote foliage rather than blooms.

N=Nitrogen for healthy lush growth

P=phosphorus for strong healthy roots and stem growth and aids photosynthesis...the plants ability to feed itself.

K=potassium for good disease resistance, cold protection and helps roses survive during droughts.

For bigger stronger blooms, you would need a fertilizer with a low N (nitrogen) number and higher P(phosphorus) and K(potassium) numbers. Those are generally called Bloom Boosters and have numbers like 2-35-28. The more nitrogen the plant gets, the more leaf growth.

http://www.oldheirloomroses.com/nutrients.htm

http://kerogarden.blogspot.com/2009/04/what-does-n-p-k-stand-for.html
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 3, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9544361

Here is the second bloom, the squirrels bit off some of the other buds, and totally shredded them, I decided to let you see the damage they did. I guess I am going to have to try to find something that will fit over the rosebuds to let them grow and still deter the squirrels. Here are some morning glories too, so far they have not dug up the moon vine that I planted yesterday. The third picture is the second bloom.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9544484

Teddie, if you want the squirrels to leave your plants alone, feed them. Go to your local Feed store and purchase a bag of cracked corn. It is cheap and squirrels like it. We get it here for about $9 per 25 pound sack. Check out your local WalMart also. Find an area of your yard away from your plants, and either use a feeder or a flat piece of concrete or a small chunk of plywood and place a cupful of corn on it. Hungry squirrels will eat or try to eat just about anything in your garden. Read the link below and it will give you some insight into their behavior

http://www.birdsforever.com/squirrels.html
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 4, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9545887

that is a good idea, I have a side yard that has no flowers or plants in it and I can put a piece of something to put the cracked corn on. The corn won't bring the starlings will it?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9545959

It may, but I would think the squirrels would pretty much eat it all.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 8, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9551367

Can someone tell me when these are supposed to bloom? I have to try to see if I can see the flower stems from a distance. I can't go into the backyard anymore because of the poison ivy.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2013
1:18 AM

Post #9551716

they should be early to mid summer bloom. those are the ditch lilies right? i know in NY they are done around the 4th of July...or at least that's how i remember it
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 9, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9552628

I have two different colors on my rose bush! I have dark pink and red, here is the picture. Here is another bud opening up, it is going to be red too. I really wish it had been the other color, but it is healthy and blooming so I really can't complain.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 9, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9552634

I got some Hostas from my neighbor, she dug some up and I planted them and watered them good, I also got some Daisys. She said that it might look like it is dead but it will come back next year. Here is a picture of the hostas that she gave me, I put some of them in with the Irises, and also here is the Daisys.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9552646

Teddie, hostas can't handle very much sun, so make sure those get shade from late morning until late afternoon.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 9, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9552839

They will, thanks for the info.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 11, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9554809

Will hostas bloom the same year they are transplanted or do they need time to sulk?
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
8:56 PM

Post #9558339

I think, and somebody can correct me on this, that it depends on the plant size. I have seen hostas at the local Lowe's and Home Depot with flowers, buds, dead spikes, and nothing at all.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9558345

Due to the lack of shady areas around my house, I cannot plant hostas. Most of my plantings are of the Full sun to part sun categories. Ray-wood ashes do not create a lot of shade to to their upright growth.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 14, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9558575

Bloomfly22, I have the exact opposite of your problem, I have to have shade tolerant flowers, that is why I had my neighbor give me some hostas. Due to the fact that I have trees all around the house, I only have a select few flowers that get a lot of sun, my moon vines for example are in a special place and the others are in the picture window. They don't get a lot of air but I blow on them every once in awhile. I think the moon vine in the window has woke up, it is growing good, I just watered them this morning.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9558787

Im planting some morning glory seeds this weekend. Is it too late for them to be started? My Purple Coneflower is beginning to show color, I will have to take a photo or 2 and put them on here. The only real shady spot is in the backyard of my house, where my neighbor's Oleander and Silverdollar Eucalyptus hang over and shade the garden. What makes it even harder to plant in there is sandy soil on the left side, and loamy soil on the right, and it transitions from sand to loam the further right you go as you move from the left to right halves.This year however, my garden is running out of space as the vegetables grow larger, the watermelon vines, and the flowers grow. I can only wish this happened every year lol! Good luck with the hostas and moon vine teddy!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 16, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9561522

First pic is the mother-in-laws tongue has a baby, and the second is some of my morning glories next to the lattice. They have really popped up with all this rain and sun. I have one last pic and it is the morning glory that is the picture window and it is growing up the window!

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 17, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9562286

Can anyone tell me how much bigger this plant needs to get before it blooms? I had some coffee grounds but they spoiled before I could use all of them. Anything else to help it grow bigger?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9562413

I think morning glories can begin blooming relatively early, but it looks like yours will need some time.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9562465

use the coffee grounds. the morning glories do need time. the blooms should appear when it starts climbing. they can survive on pretty lean soil, but if you still have Miracle Gro soil, it helps.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9562561

My Grandpa Otts did not return from winter sow this year , it was usually hot, dry and July or August before they grew like you would expect
Also there are large white ones that grow on neighbors fences usually late summer before they look good.
Those MG's really soak up that summer sun and weather . Yours is a little smaller than the white ones here , only not all that much .
They tend to do better in bunches here also , and that is often contrary to information ..
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 20, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9566037

I am confused(which happens to me a lot), I thought that moon vines were supposed to vine, mine are acting more like Daturas, they are not vining at all, I just went out and watered the one outside real good, I also thought they were supposed to like it dry, but I have been reading that they like it moist! I watered it really good and I had to make a makeshift moat around it so the water would actually get to the roots, and I watered the one in the house too. I have been watering it from the bottom, but also don't know if that is the best way to water or not. Had to throw the coffee grounds out as I said in the last post, they got mouldy, so don't have any more. Would using miracle-gro mixed in water be a good idea?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9566103

Yes, giving your plants a regular feeding, at least monthly, would improve their performance. Things like morning glories and moon vines would benefit from a half strength solution of miracle grow applied every two weeks. Annuals grow fast and use up a lot of nutrients as they have only a short time to grow, bloom and set seed for the next year. feeding them on a regular basis is important to having healthy plants.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 20, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9566255

I think the usual amount is one scoop to two gallons of water, is that right? Then what I would want to do is make that 1/2 scoop to two gallons of water right? Also I don't know how exactly to take care of the daisies, I don't know what kind they are. Here is a picture of them.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9566345

I believe the recommended mix is 1 TBSP per gallon of water...a half mix would be 1TBSP to 2 gallons or 1/2 TBS to 1 gallon.

taking care of daisies

http://www.ehow.com/how_4515624_care-daisies.html
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9566717

those look like flower buds forming in the leaves. within a few days, the stem will probably grow taller and you should see them bloom

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9566756

This was a group of Alaska earlier , they escape here if not careful ,,"wild things"

Thumbnail by juhur7

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 24, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9571230

I discovered white spots on my morning glory leaves that are in the picture window, what can they be?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 24, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9571232

This is my moon vine seedling also in the picture window.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 24, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9571234

My Datura is in the pot with the moon vines, can I plant them outside together like they are in the pot?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 30, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9580209

My Tiger Lilies are going to bloom! I have here a picture of the fllower spikes I went into the backyard just a little bit to get these and there was no poison ivy and I did not brush up against any plant, so it is ok. I just am happy I can grow these, I see them every where up here, especially in the ditches and stream banks. So I will post pics when they bloom.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 11, 2013

Post #9595296

I think this unusual weather has woken my moon vine up that is in the front with the small piece of latticework behind it, it has more leaves, but I have a question, the new leaf does not look anything like the others, why is that? I will try to post the picture.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 12, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9596380

Yippee! My Tiger Lilies are just now blooming!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 13, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9597292

Better picture of my Tiger Lilies, my hubby got this one for me.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9597294

It is not a lily. It is a daylily.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9597425

Nice hybrid Hemerocallis Fulva bloom...
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9597476

I have seen similar things with tomatoes and even my indoor pothos. The leaves would grow out different in shape than the rest. From what I have seen, possible causes are diseases and light issues. I could be wrong, but thats what i noticed most prominently.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9597492

I missed geting a pic as an example yesterday . as every once in a while this Hyperion blooms as a 12 or 14 point star. like the sunburst ..
Usually a 6 or 7 petal bloom .

Thumbnail by juhur7

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2013
11:11 PM

Post #9598114

Thats intresting, juhur. Ive never heard of a plant which flowers oddly like that, lol!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9598520

This is the same plant .. if I get the right pic same scape too .. how about that..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 17, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9602326

New buds on my moon vine that is in the picture window!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9602750

Looking good teddy! Can't wait to see the blooms when the show up.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 18, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9603480

I won't be able to stand the wait! I was going to put them outside but for now I think I will keep them in the window, I just watered them a little, and am keeping an eye on them.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 18, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9603563

These are supposed to be morning glories but I have never seen buds like these, need some help identifying this vine.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2013
3:02 AM

Post #9605746

those look like morning glory buds
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 20, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9606485

You were right, they are morning glories, they are starting to twist like they do. It is going to be interesting to see what color they turn out to be.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 21, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9607461

I got these seeds from a friend, got them in a pot with miracle-grow potting soil and a fluorescent lamp on them, is there anything else I should do to them? They are tiger lily seeds from the lilies you see in the fields and ditches. How wet do I keep them?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 22, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9608139

Before and after pictures of one of my mg.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 23, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9609336

This is my first Heavenly Blue morning glory!!! I think I have another one getting ready to bloom, not sure yet. I was kind of worried with the weird weather we have been having, I thought they would not bloom, but here it is!!!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9609562

One heart shape leaved MG came up in front ,sunny side of the shrubs.
8or9 days the vine is over 6ft or so "poof :
I weeded last week where it sprouted at and it was not there then , will see what it blooms as .. That's what MG does here .

em ; pretty morning glory pics

This message was edited Jul 23, 2013 2:33 PM
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

August 3, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9620688

This is a picture of the Heavenly Blue morning glory bud, they get huge before they bloom. My Moon Vine is getting more leaves on it, here is a couple of pics. The first is the Heavenly Blue morning glory bud, and the second is the moon vine. Do you think that this moon vine seedling is going to bloom, I have been researching it and they said when the nights and days are a equal length they start to really go at it. I hope so.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

August 26, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9641724

I don't remember if I posted these two pictures on this page, I have two plants that I have no idea what they are, one is supposed to be a Lilac bush but has no buds, seeds or anything else, the leaves are smooth and waxy looking and it is taller than my head, the other looks like it could be strawberrry but has had no fruit,seeds or anything the leaves are jagged looking and rough. I will try to post two pics of them and maybe you can help me out, if I can't find out what they really are, I will either dig or pull them up and put something there that I can identify. The first two pics are the one that is over my head, one is a single leaf and the other is the whole bush. The third pic is the one I thought was strawberry, but it is spreading all through the Iris bed that is around the iron pole.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9641795

THE last two pics are a white Mulberry tree , first two , i've seen one before , the second I could not even guess at
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 1, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9647620

This is the moonvine that is in the picture window, as you can see, it is growing quite well, just wondering, does anyone know or can hazard a guess whether I will get a bloom on this plant? I was thinking of putting a half of a wooden dowel rod in the pot and tie a string from it to the nail I have in the top of the window frame and see if it will climb it. What do you think? I would put it outside but I don't know how good it would take off once I transplanted it.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 12, 2013
8:52 PM

Post #9658404

I guess my hubby wants some more Morning Glories next spring, he got me 8 packs, 3 packs of MoonFlowers. One of the Morning Glories is Scarlet O'Hara, if that works out it will be gorgeous with the Heavenly Blue that is already out on the lattice. Of course, the time for planting MG's is over for this year, I have all together 12 packs of Heavenly Blue, 1 pack of Flying Saucers and 1 pack of Scarlet O'Hara and like I said 3 packs of Moon flowers. I am going to be busy next spring I need some information on mums, whether it is better to leave in the pot or still time to put in the ground.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 16, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9661426

I got this in the picture window, I did not plant this color but surprise surprise there it is.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

avazquez

avazquez
sonora, IA

September 19, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9664378

pretty pics!

Thumbnail by avazquez

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 8, 2013

Post #9704768

Can someone tell me how to fix this? I have not had any do this before.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9709860

I don't know if you can fix it. The leaf just growing at an angle, which one of mine has done once.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9712606

You can turn your amaryllis 180 degrees to even out the growth.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 30, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9719124

Got another amaryllis bulb this is an Apple Blossom one, I have repotted it and have it under the flourescent lamp, the other one has not sent up any scapes but the leaves are well over 20 inches tall! I also have a question that does not have anything to do with Amaryllis, my hubby got me some calla lilies for Mother's Day and I had them for quite some time, then they did their thing of turning brown and I cut them down to the soil, I don't know how long they have been where they are, but I checked and there is new growth! Should I just leave them alone until January or should I bring them out and repot them? I don't want to rush them, any help would be nice. Here is the pic of the new Amaryllis, how long will it be before it turns green?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9723025

It should turn green very soon. I recently picked up another bulb, and the morning after I potted it, it had turned light green. So far it is staying short, no real growth yet. I have lightly watered it. As for the Calla lilies, If they have begun growing, then they are either comfortable with the conditions, or starting early. I would try to see what they do.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2013
11:05 PM

Post #9723047

The light color is just from the growing leaves not being exposed to sunlight, whether it was in a box or whatever. When the growers ship them to stores, the temperatures usually cause them to sprout like that, just like paperwhites or other bulbs.

Callas like their dormant period and you shouldn't water a lot at all at this time. When they start their growing cycle again, maybe mid/late February, give them more attention.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 23, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9732950

Have not wanted to bother you nice people with numerous posts on the amaryllis, but here is an updated photo.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9733201

Costalzone is right about the callas. Callas like a dormant period - my sister starts hers in February, I typically wait to start mine in May.

One thing you may want to do with your callas is after the foliage dies down, is to take your bulbs out of the soil and check your calla bulbs. If you see any bulbs that are rotting or look diseased, then toss them. Put the others into a paper lunch bag for overwintering. I keep mine in the attic by the steps so they are cool, but won't freeze.

A good place to pick up callas is the mercy shelf at Lowes. After they stop flowering in the summer, Lowes will have the pots of bulbs on their mercy shelves for just a couple of $.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2013
12:55 AM

Post #9733423

Looks like you just might have blooms on Christmas day, what a great present

That's good advice on the callas. They really cannot stand wet dormant periods, but love water once spring comes around.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 25, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9734273

I got another amaryllis today, it is supposed to be another Apple Blossom, the other one has opened up and the two blooms look like ears,lol! I only see two and no other scapes. Here is a picture of it and the new bulb that I planted today. Still do not know if it is really an apple blossom or not. Merry Christmas to everyone here on Dave's Garden!

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9734532

EE - do you carry over your amaryllis? There is a whole forum dedicated to amaryllis. I have collected them over the years and put them out in the summer. They really love to bake in the sun during the summer. Typically the 2nd year, the flower is already in the making - the trick it to get them to flower in the 3rd year. Truth be told, I have 6 or 8 of them that are rather anemic looking that are in my cellar. After all the company has gone and things return to normal around here, I am going to bring them out.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 26, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9734595

I tried to overwinter the very first one that I got, it did real good until it got bulb mites and I had to toss it. I am going to try to do the same thing that I did with the first one. I will put it in the bedroom for the rest period and then bring it out when the dormancy is done. I thouught this was supposed to be Apple Blossom, it looks more like Susan, but I really don't care, it is beautiful anyway.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 2, 2014
7:38 AM

Post #9760703

Do you guys want to hear something funny? My hubby got me some calla lilies last summer and I enjoyed them until they went dormant and I put them in a dark,cool place to rest, well, I dug them out(or thought I did) replanted them and watered it. I kept waiting for something to pop up and nothing did. I finally realized that I had not gotten the rhizone and I was just watering the dirt,lol! I dug through the soil and found the rhizone in another pot, replanted it and watered it, now we get to see if I can grow them, I have found out that I can grow just about anything else. Got a question, can you grow firespike plants here in Ohio? I am not familiar with them and would like to know if I can or not, I read that the hummingbirds love them.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2014
9:02 AM

Post #9760759

Callas are not difficult to grow. I think the name 'calla lily' implies a lot of exotic ideas and thus the ideas that they are difficult to grow.

When you lifted your calla bulbs how did they look? Bulbs should be firm to the touch and dry with no wet spots and not squishy or any areas that look moldy. I typically lift mine in the fall and check the bulbs. Healthy bulbs get put into brown paper bags and are stored in a cool dry place until Spring. Unhealthy bulbs get tossed as you do not want to spread any disease.

Callas do need a period of dormancy in order to flower. How long were your bulbs sitting in the pot without the water?

When planting your callas, make sure you have them in a light potting soil with plenty of drainage - I tend mix in some perlite so there is plenty of aeration in the soil and plenty of drainage. Place the pot in a bright sunny area.

I typically wait to plant mine until they can go outside - Mayish. My sister typically brings her's out in February and grows them inside. (we are both in zone 5 although different areas of the country). So, either growing them outside or inside is achievable.

In our zone - I am assuming you are about a 5 or 6, callas will do better in pots. The ground does not warm up fast enough for the callas to flower before it is time to think about lifting them. I am sure there are those that have been able to get theirs to flower in ground, but this is what has worked best for me over the years.

One thing I should caution you on is they do not like to be overwatered - this will rot the bulbs and they do rot easily. I allow mine to dry out before watering.

Let us know how you do with them -

Oh - one other thing - check the mercy shelves at Lowes. You will always find pots full of these bulbs after they have finished flowering on these shelves for a fraction of the cost.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 2, 2014
11:03 AM

Post #9760830

Thank you for your help, I waited at least two months before replanting them, the bulbs were dry and firm no squishy or moldy places at all. They were the same color as your picture, beautiful yellow! I watered them real good and just how many days should I wait until I water again? We have the pellet stove on so that kind of dries out the soil but I have them on the bookcase with the Amaryllis, and the Poinsettas, they are nearest the flourescent lamp and they get constant light from it, I turn it on when I get up and don't turn it off until I go to bed, so it gets a lot of light. I noticed that the Dollar Store up here is gettting their garden stuff out so might go up there and see what they have.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2014
12:24 PM

Post #9760886

I would wait until it is thoroughly dry. Feel the dirt - stick your finger into it and if it is dry to the first-second knuckle I would water.

Not sure about the florescent light, although a windowsill would be cold right now. I know my African Violets are telling me that. :-)
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 2, 2014
3:49 PM

Post #9761001

Thank you. Do you know anything about the firespike plant or is that just available in the southern states?
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2014
8:47 PM

Post #9761123

Hey empty, would you do the honors of starting this year's thread? WIth luck it will fill up just like this one did!. I know little about the firespike plant, so I would not be able to help, sadly.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 2, 2014
9:20 PM

Post #9761128

Firespike can probably be grown during the summer, and brought in in a container. The only thing is it can take up a lot of space and it needs a long growing season as it usually flowers at the end of summer and into winter (I saw some blooming the other day). It loves heat.
I'm sure there are people who get them to flower up north. It appears to be carefree here.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 16, 2014
7:36 AM

Post #9770187

Well, when one of my friends said I could grow just about everything, she was not kidding, I got some yellow calla lilies from my hubby and thought maybe I could regrow them. Well made a couple of mistakes but found out before any damage was done. I planted them in the pot too deep, mistake number one, watered them too much, mistake number two. So I dug them up(gently)! And put them where the tops of them were exposed, and found out that they ARE sprouting! Going to try to take a picture and show you the sprouts. Here they are, the sprouts you can see good.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 22, 2014
1:54 PM

Post #9795526

I have another sprout coming up, it is kind of hard to get a picture of, I have not been able to try to find the way of getting real close to a sprout or something without it getting blurry. So here is the sprout, it is a calla lily sprout, it was yellow, so hopefully this one will be too. Maybe someone who knows cameras better than me can sharpen this up for me.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 27, 2014
6:51 PM

Post #9799399

Can someone tell me please why my Peace rose was red and small instead of large and pink? I went out and looked today and if I cut the canes that are growing below the bud union, there won't be much left. It looks like most of the canes are coming from below, would it be a good idea to leave the rose bush the way it is, or cut the canes from below the bud union? Last year the roses were small and red, they were supposed to be large and pink. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2014
9:13 PM

Post #9799465

Could you post a picture of the rose plant? If the flowers were coming from the canes below the graft union, then you are not getting what you want from it. The bush is likely to recover from pruning the root-stock's canes, but it may be best to leave them if there is not a lot on the bud's side
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2014
4:59 AM

Post #9799581

I agree with Bloomfly - it is the root stock that is shooting up canes. Quite often, roses are grafted to root stock.

Do you bury the bud union on your roses during your fall preparation for winter? Doing so should help insure the survival of the area of the plant above the bud union.

You can also buy roses that are on their own roots. You will probably have to go to a place that specializes in roses in order to find them. I like Pickering Nurseries in Canada for my roses and you can buy roses that are on their own root stocks from them.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 1, 2014
7:26 AM

Post #9802631

My naked Ladies are sure coming up good with all this warm weather, maybe this year I will have some flowers.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2014
4:09 PM

Post #9803597

Looking good! The weather here went from warm 80's to co!d 50's, which is getting too close to my covering limit. I'm a bit worried about my indoor plants with the temperature changes. The new growth on my cymbidium orchid has rotted off, and I am not sure if it will try again. The first picture is the rotted growth, the second is the place it rotted off of. Will it grow again?

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22   Thumbnail by Bloomfly22         

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2014
4:44 PM

Post #9803614

The cymbidium should be okay if the rest of it is still green. I have a feeling it would grow from a different pup area. They like to drain very well, and I don't know about your area of California but I saw a video saying that Santa Barbara was the largest cymbidium grower in the country.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2014
5:18 PM

Post #9803638

Its drier here, but when the warmer temps return I will move it outside. The mix it is in is 3 parts fine bark, 1 part horticultural charcoal, and 1 part perlite. The orchid gets fertilized with miracle grow orchid fertilizer lightly every other watering. For the naked lady bulbs, will they grow out here in my area's desert climate? I've been considering them in my front and back yards.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2014
5:20 PM

Post #9803642

Here is the plant itself. It looks very healthy. I dusted the spot where the rotted growth was with ground Cinnamon to control fungus and bacteria.

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 3, 2014
8:46 AM

Post #9804044

One of my moonflower sprouts that I am trying to grow indoors, it would make it a lot easier if the temperature at my desk was higher than 68! This rainy and cool weather does not make it easy for moonflowers or anything else that requires sunshine, that is why my flourescent lamp stays on all the time.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 8, 2014
10:27 PM

Post #9808191

I went out yesterday and pruned my Butterfly Bush and my Hostas, I think it was the Hostas, I planted hostas and shasta daisies, although I can't really tell which is which right now, one has a mass of rizhomes and one has a mass of roots. I also cut the rose cane that was growing from below the bud union, I have a cage of sorts that I am going to put over the rose so what ever was chewing on the buds won't do it again this summer. I sure hope this summer the rose does what it is supposed to do, all I know is that it is growing like crazy!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 9, 2014
5:24 PM

Post #9808747

Here is one of my morning glories that I planted in the square pot, don't know what color it will be, but whatever it will be it will be pretty! I have it under the flourescent lamp and it loves it.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America