my 2013 flowers

Lakeview, OH

Could someone tell me when the best time to set my mums outside? I have the Daturas and Moonflower vines in the picture window and they love that sunshine coming in, it is warm and I try to keep them watered. As I have told you almost everything I have planted is coming up and I will have no shortage of flowers this summer. I do have a question, my Amaryllis is doing good but it has red on the leaves, is that anything to be concerned about? The other one had red blotch on it and it died, this one seems to be doing alright but the red is all over the leaves. What do you think I should do, and when do you think I can take the leaves off of the rose? I would like to do it this weekend it is going to be in the 60's.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

the mums are more hardy and you can probably put them out now. if it should freeze, you can just it should help wake them up and encourage growth. they need the sunlight and day length reaction from being outside.

i'm not sure what the amaryllis leaves problem is if it is all over them. it could just be them dying back. you can hold off on water with the amaryllis since it's done flowering (correct?)

look for the buds on the rose showing signs of waking up.

Lakeview, OH

There ARE buds on the rose now, I uncovered her and asked my hubby to get some more potting soil since the ground has sunk some during the winter. I have a question, I found one of my naked lady bulbs that something had dug up, I replanted it in the back yard beside the tiger lilies, it has greenery and roots, do you think it will keep growing? I put it in the sunshine and I read that they love sunshine, the more the better. I think tomorrow I am going to try to clean the flower bed and find the best place to plant the mums, i don't have a great place to put them in front, which is where I wanted to put them so I can enjoy them, would it be alright just to put them out in the pot? The temps are supposed to be in the 40's and 50's at night and next week the daytime temps are supposed to be in the 60's. I figure if I leave them in the pot I can bring them in when winter gets here and put them in the bedroom again.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

great about the rose, the extra soil will help.

the bulb should keep growing. good thing only the leaves are due to grow in spring. usually a bulb can stand losing the first few leaves because there are plenty more waiting inside. keep it watered, but not soggy, since the roots were dug up.

leaving the mum in the pot is a good idea, and will make it easier for you to monitor. it's fine either way.

Lakeview, OH

This is the mystery bush I was trying to identify, I am leaning towards Lilac, my hubby took the picture, I could not get a clear enough one to send to you. These are the buds, and there are two leaves and they are a purple color right now and small, but there are buds all over this plant. So if you can tell by this picture I would be grateful if you would either confirm or deny what I have figured out. Also do Hummingbirds like Lilac (if that is what it is)?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

i'm going to agree, that does appear to be a lilac. but you won't know for sure until it flowers, of course. maybe in a week the leaves will be more easy to identify. the buds do look like lilac buds, and i think they can have a purplish red coloring to them when they're young

and about the hummingbirds, i'm not sure. but, you most likely will see butterflies and bees, which are always welcome

This message was edited Apr 7, 2013 8:02 PM

Lakeview, OH

thank you coastalzonepush, I would like to see the butterflies but not crazy about the bees, both my hubby and me are allergic to bee stings, hopefully we can sit on the bench far enough away to have the bees not get upset with us sitting there. I love butterflies and actually forgot about having any flowers for them, I am going to plant purple MG's in the flower bed next to the trellis so they can grow up the trellis. Here are two pictures I took today, one is my Tiger Lilies in the back yard and my Naked Lady plant that was dug up.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

you're welcome.
well, the bees shouldn't be too big of a problem, i don't think there will be tons. bees feed at certain times of the day too. i know it's hard when you're allergic. the lilacs will only be blooming for a certain time, and then they won't bother you.

yeah, your lilies are on their ways!

Lakeview, OH

I went and checked my tiger lilies and they love the sunshine and warm temps, they are growing fast, the Irises are growing fast too. I am not too sure about the Naked Lady plant that I replanted, so far it just looks like it is sitting there. But they love the warmer weather just like everyone does, everyone at work is complanining that the weather is so good and they have to be inside the plant. You better believe I will take pictures when it blooms, I always wanted some lilacs but never had either room or money to get them, but since I have them, they will come up year after year won't they?

(Zone 7a)

Even plants that look like they're just 'sitting there' are growing underground. Most plants like to grow a good root base before putting out leaves.

Lakeview, OH

I checked the lilacs again and yep, they are lilacs, my hubby and I are keeping an eye on them. He is as anxious as I am(well maybe not as anxious) to see if they will bloom. This rain we are having is helping everything grow better. So when we can get a few pictures that are not blurry from the wind blowing we will post some pics of the leaves. If you zoom on this picture, you can see the leaves on the lower part of the plant really well.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

i'm not sure on the blooming size or age, but yours looks pretty big.

is this it's first year with you?

Lakeview, OH

No, I got them about 2 years ago, I did not know what they were so I did not do anything to help them grow better. I thought it was Japanese Privet. So I am glad to finally know what it is. I am going out to see how big the leaves are, we had a lot of storms go through last night and the wind blew a section of the latticework off, thankfully it was not the part with the bird feeders on it. Speaking of bird feeders, I have to refill the seed feeder, they have been hitting it hard. Here is Rosey, she is doing good too. As you can see, she is getting bud eyes, hopefully I will have at least one good bloom before winter.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

I went out today and took some pictures of some of my flowers that are growing, the first is my tiger lilies in the backyard, the second is my lilacs and the third but not least is my rose. Even with all this rain, everything is doing ok, going to plant purple Morning Glories as soon as the weather warms up a bit more.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes Thumbnail by emptyeyes Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

in no time you'll have great growth. the rain helps the plants to come out of dormancy, and bring you those May flowers!

look out for morning glories where you had them last year, since some can reseed.

Lakeview, OH

Ok coastalzonepush, I had forgotten that, how can I tell if I am going to have blooms on the Lilacs? Since I have never had them before I don't know what to look for. Any help on that?

Lakeview, OH

I went out and looked and you were right, as far as I know these are morning glories coming up now, I took some pictures and maybe you can tell me if I am right.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

the lilacs bloom later in spring, or maybe early summer for you. you'll see the blooms forming a few weeks before it's time.

those look like something, but not morning glories unfortunately. those are something like a tree or shrub, with growth from last year. leave it there and wait to see what the leaves look like.

the morning glories should look like two leaves, opposite each other, and they are kind of heart shaped. more like tooth shaped.

Lakeview, OH

that figures, my hubby got me a bag of all purpose potting soil, I was thinking of transplanting the moonflowers into a bigger pot and they can be by themselves, right now they are in with moonvines. I do think that I have morning glories coming up, I saw a couple of leaves that look like what you are talking about, but as I look closer at them, I have no idea what they are. It will be interesting to watch them grow.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

once your night time temperatures stay above 50 or above 55, it should be ok for them to at least be put outside to get used to the environment. remember that immediate exposure to the sun will be harsh on them since they've been cozied up indoors.

that's one of the problems with spring, so many things popping up, so much green, sometimes you don't know weeds from good plants until their true leaves grow out.
if you google "morning glory seedlings" you'll see there are some variations to the basic shape of the leaves.

actually, now i feel like growing some morning glories! haha

Lakeview, OH

Do you think it is too late to start Morning Glories for this summer? I can germinate the seeds since I have a flourescent lamp to put them under, what do you thnk? Is it better to just plant them out in the soil, or start them inside and transplant them?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

hm, well it depends on how warm your soil is. did your last average frost date pass yet? you can do the indoor and outdoor to see what germination rates you'll get.
i do think there is still time for you to start some indoors, since outside is still risky. by the time they grow a set of leaves or two, the ground outside will probably be in a more favorable temperature range.

Lakeview, OH

They say that April 15 is the last frost date, but I am not sure, tomorrow is the 15th, but this is Ohio, just because it says that does not mean there won't be cold nights yet. I soaked one Morning Glory seed last night and it has started to sprout in the container with the water! I knicked the pointy end and I think I should put it in a small pot to grow until I am satisfied that the ground is warmer like you said. I think I have a small pot that I can put them in or maybe a plastic bowl that I used for something else, recycle,recycle,recycle! I will take a picture of it when I get it fixed.

Lakeview, OH

I have planted one seed in a pot that I got from the Amaryllis box, I did punch a hole in the bottom, I have 3 more soaking , I did knick the pointy end of the ones in the water.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

that's great, the seeds should sprout leaves by the weekend!
Google Images: winter sowing - you'll love it (if you haven't done it already)

actually, since you do like reusing those plastic containers etc., you can try this: take a clean milk bottle, poke holes in the bottom, cut it in half below the handle but not all the way around, fill the bottom with your soil and seeds. this container can go outside in a sunny sheltered spot. the idea is to have a little greenhouse, and the top of the milk bottle can easily be opened for ventilation & water. this also protects the seedlings. it can even stay out at night, unless you are expecting very cold weather below 35.

it's called winter sowing, but it can still be done now. i did marigolds this way in April (NY) and they were very healthy.

you can also use bowls, and other things with a plastic lid.

i'll find an article for you

This message was edited Apr 14, 2013 8:05 PM

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/959/

there you go! that member wrote great winter sowing articles. that article even has your morning glories! and like the article says, you'll still have to protect them on the coldest night - if they happen anymore but basically, you are starting your warm annuals outdoors.

Lakeview, OH

So, would putting plastic over the top of the pot and put the flourescent lamp close to it? I put the other seeds in the potting soil and watered it good. So now we just wait, patience is hard to come by,especially for me.LOL!!!!! So will be happy to see the sprouts come up.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

plastic helps keep the seeds warm, humid and moist. indoors it can become a problem if fungus starts to grow.

the plastic outside gives them a safe environment to grow in while the ground may still be cold. plus outside they will have the benefit of full sunlight.

you can try this: take one of the pots, put in a large ziploc or plastic bag and put it outside.

Lakeview, OH

I may try that, I should be able to find a large ziplock bag somewhere. Thanks for the advice, I left my mums outside tonight, it is supposed to stay in the high 50's. Going to try to put a pot outside with the morning glories in it for awhile tomorrow, it is supposed to be in the 70's.

Lakeview, OH

The pot that I put the MG in was rather large so I put the bag over the top of the pot. I have it beside the pot with the mums. I will take a picture and you can tell me if it is a good idea. Should I put them both where they will get full sun? Do you think the mums will come back? The second picture of the mums alone I am not sure it will. Any advice will be great.

(Zone 7a)

Scratch the bottom of the truck near the soil and if its green, you're okay.

Lakeview, OH

I scraped it and there is no green at all, does that mean it is dead?

Lakeview, OH

Here is a picture of rosey, as you can tell she survived the winter, can anyone tell me how much taller she will have to get before she blooms? And is she a repeat bloomer? She sure has her protection of thorns and several bud eyes, but the one stem looks kinda dead on the top part of the stem, should I cut it down to where the bud eye is?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

My Mg's are coming up! I have them in the house under a flourescent lamp, and I see at least two coming up!

(Zone 7a)

Woohoo!!!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

your rose will probably start blooming in late spring. May and June are good rose months. roses usually bloom in flushes.

the "dead" stem isn't really a problem, since it isn't old and gray or too big. wait to see if growth does come from somewhere there. if not, you can prune it if you want.

Lakeview, OH

I will continue to put the mums outside when it is warm enough, right now we are experiencing a cool snap, it was in the 80's yesterday, today it is supposed to get to 47! Quite a drop, so the mums stay inside today and maybe for a few days until it warms up again, my mg are up and out of the potting soil, but they look funny, I don't remember the others looking this way, I will try to take a picture to show you what I mean.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

Would pruning it help it any? I was thinking of repotting it in another pot with the fresh potting soil that my hubby got for me,it has sand, perlite, composted forest products. I have a bigger pot but don't want it if it is not going to help any.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

leave the glories, that's just the seed coat. if you try and remove it by hand, you might lose the seedlings altogether. the leaves are still developing and using the nutrients inside the seed.

ok, now we are at a point of confusion! in my previous post, i was referring to your rose with the pruning.
i think your last post is asking about the mums, right?
if it's about the mums - yes go ahead and cut back the old stuff. giving it a new pot and soil won't help if it isn't growing yet. it needs moisture and sun to signal growing season. it should be soon.
if it's about your rose - you can prune the portion you think is dead. it will help the appearance, and perhaps the lower buds will wake up.

Lakeview, OH

It was not the rose it was the mums, thank you for the info on everything, I knew I planted mg before but I forgot how they come up, the weather is getting really cold and it is raining with a mix of snow, so we put a plastic bucket over Rosey so she won't freeze. My hubby had a box over her but when it started to rain, we thought a bucket would be better. As to the mg, you were right, one of them has already shed its seed coat and is a lovely shade of green, the other three have not shed theirs yet. The rose does not need pruning, the neighbor who ran over it with the lawn mower did the pruning for me.LOL! Thanks again coastalzonepush. How far down should I cut back the old stufff?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.