Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Clematis: Brown leaf tips

Communities > Forums > Clematis
bookmark
Forum: ClematisReplies: 5, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9473392

I have a beautiful clematis, but it has a nasty habit...

The problem is the thing comes out looking so healthy and vibrant. Then, when it blooms, it's gorgeous. THEN, very soon, the leaves start browning on the tips. The brown will eventually get half way down the leaf, but it doesn't seem to affect the blooms.

I've thought maybe it's to dry--too wet--too hot--or too something else. I fertilize with Osmocote. Heck, I don't remember if I put some on it when it first started sprouting, or not. I've heard that these pretties like morning sun, but need cool feet, so I put a stone edging in front of it (so the poor little thing wouldn't get hot feet). I about lose my patience with it every year when I see the browning start, and so early. But...it's so pretty and about the first thing that blooms around here.

I'd love to hear what you think.

Thumbnail by sybram   Thumbnail by sybram
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9473527

I think I'd enjoy the beautiful blooms and ignore the brown tips. If they annoy you more than you can bear, could you cut off a few leaves and see if you get new leaves without brown tips?

I did Google the issue but so much of the information is misleading or just inaccurate. You might want to call your local County Extension Service agent and ask but be clear that you are not calling about clematis wilt.

My best guess is that it's a humidity issue.

sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9494949

Thanks, Pirl. Wonder why I never saw your post before? Anyway, I'm going to try to set them a little apart from the EEs, so they won't stay so wet.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9495014

You're welcome.

How much sun do the clematises get and is it morning or afternoon sun?
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9501162

They get morning sun until 12 or 1pm.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9501387

They want 6 hours a day so they're probably getting enough sunshine.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America