Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Knock out roses - help needed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 25, Views: 253
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

April 6, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9473615

I ordered 6 knock out roses from home depot that will be arriving soon. I've never grown roses before but read they are no fuss. How should I prepare the area that I will be planting them in? What is the proper time for planting them in Western NY? About how far apart should I plant them for a hedge look? Should I mulch them and if yes, with what? Thanks for any help.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

April 7, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9474968

I have planted many roses and I usually read the directions that comes with the roses. Also I do a lot of googles searches and I am always getting
new and different ideas, sometimes I even see actual videos on the article . Cytf
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

April 7, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9475159

Thank you, I will google. I also read somewhere around here that bananas are a good treat for any type of roses. I'll give that a try also. Susie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9478103

Bananas are, indeed, a good treat for roses. So are Epsom salts and bone meal. Please, make sure when you water your roses, you do it from below. They don't like wet leaves.

Which ones did you order?
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9478107

I have also read that Knockout roses to not like as much water as other roses.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9478231

Roses LOVE manure, you put in hole and mix in before putting the rose in

Great website for growing roses
http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com/planting-roses.html
nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

April 9, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9478294

Quoting:Bananas are, indeed, a good treat for roses. So are Epsom salts and bone meal. Please, make sure when you water your roses, you do it from below. They don't like wet leaves.

Definitely, growing roses requires no gardening skills or experience. Essentially, there are easy steps: First is to choose the right rose for your space. Then plant your rose where it will get at least six hours of sun each day. And lastly water regularly.
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

April 11, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9479954

My roses have arrived. I got 2 each of the red, yellow and pink. They are still sound asleep. No leaves or anything. I don't dare plant them yet as we are in for freezing ran and 30 degree weather for the next couple of days. Should I wait until all danger of frost has passed? I've never heard of the epsom salts for roses or the bone meal. Thats very interesting.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9479965

From that website I posted
When to plant...
It is important that ALL danger of frost is gone and the soil is workable and not frozen.
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

April 11, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9480040

I just read that website. Very good information there. I have a really good spot for them. Its a 30 foot stretch that comes up the driveway. I planned to plant them 5 feet apart. It gets sun all day and is somewhat acidic soil. I planned on planting the colors as this: red, yellow, pink, pink, yellow, and red. The other side of the drive has tall shrubs with several trees behind them at a distance that should work good as wind break. Thanks for posting that link.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9480072

Yeah I love that site

Sounds like you have a great plan, can't wait to see all in bloom!!!
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

April 11, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9480112

I'm as nervous as a new mother! What if the other plants are mean to them? What if they don't bloom...lol.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2013
10:22 PM

Post #9480883

Give the other plants your sternest 'Mom' face and tell them to leave the newbies alone!

Please post pics of them when they bloom.
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

April 30, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9503357

Update: My roses started growing in the boxes they were shipped in. They went from completely dormant to 4 inches of growth in 5 days. So I decided to go ahead and plant them. I dug the hole twice as deep as needed and then filled it in with potting mix forming a cone. After soaking them for about an hour I plucked them in. I also worked in bone meal and blood meal at the surface but not too close to the roses themselves. Next I mulch them pretty thick with hay. Of course then next several days we had 30 degree nights so I covered them and then got up early to under cover them in the morning. Its been about 8 days and they are growing like crazy. I mean, I think you could watch them grow. There is probably 6 to 8 inches of new growth since I planted them. I'm watching the weather daily, and will cover as necessary but so far so good. I've decided to plant white alyssum in front and behind them, as well as white geraniums as I've read they chase the dreaded Japanese beetle away..we have them here.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 4, 2013
2:59 AM

Post #9507504

I had 80 regular roses at one time and the brand started with J----. I can not remember right now . Senior moment before my coffee. I had to get rid of them because they required a lot of care. Somehow there were aphids all summer long.

I replaced them with knockout roses and these are disease resistant and had not noticed aphids. I prune them in the fall and very early spring and fertilize them with 10-10-10.

I will take pictures when i get back from vacation.

I have sedum in front of it and I can not remember the variety either .
Happy gardening.

Belle

This message was edited May 7, 2013 5:00 AM
jcook45
Franklin, OH

May 9, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9515030

I have 7 knock out roses and I don't think you can do anything wrong with them. I have pruned them to six inches, not pruned them, fertilized them, not fertilized them, watered them, not watered them, etc. They are resilient and quick growing (mine get around 4 foot tall every year, after a hard prune down to 12 inches). You will enjoy them until you want to move them or get rid of them for something else!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2013
2:56 AM

Post #9515342

Great choice! Some people pooh-pooh the Knockouts because of the lack of fragrance. Well, I don't think they can be beat for ease of care and big floral displays. This is my Double Pink Knockout last year. It's on the way to looking even more spectacular this year. The red is the same way.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

May 11, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9517215

Cville, all I can say is WOW! I'm jealous...I can only hope and pray that mine grow up to look like that. They are doing very well so far. I have to keep them (and everything else) covered for the next 3 nights as we might can a bit of a frost. I'm also very happy to say that the Astilbe I planted in the shady area at the end of the rose bed is growing like crazy.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2013
2:26 AM

Post #9517524

Thank you. I think they will do well for you. They are an easy-care rose. We too are threatened with a frost tonight. Sheesh. If we have one it will be a record breaking late frost. I hope yours, mine and everyone else's plants make it okay.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 12, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9517586

We get cold weather in the 20's at times and our knockout comes back pretty every year. Belle
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

June 20, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9566766

My Knock Out Roses are beginning to bloom :)

Thumbnail by Gracesmom   Thumbnail by Gracesmom   Thumbnail by Gracesmom      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2013
11:53 PM

Post #9567136

Great! You're off to a good start.
marykwiley
Kansas City, MO

July 22, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9608426

can you tell me why my roses bush isnt blooming it was plant last year it is very pretty green but no flowers
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 22, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9608441

Our knock out roses get pruned and fertilized in the fall and fertilized in spring. The blooms are over this year.Try giving it miracle grow. Do you see buds?
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

June 20, 2014
7:08 PM

Post #9873296

All 6 of my knockout rose bushes made it through the winter...our temps were -40 to -45 many times throughout January & Feb. I didn't do anything to protect them. I think the snow we got helped to insulate them. Anyway, they are thriving and almost ready to bloom. I'm so happy.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2014
12:16 AM

Post #9876781

Great job! Pics?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America