Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Passion flower vine w/o caterpillar devastation?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
feisele
Tucson, AZ

April 6, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9473992

I planted a passion flower vine last fall b/c I wanted a dense vine to screen off an east wall. Then I learned that because of its relation w/ the fritillary butterfly life cycle, my vine might be completely eaten by end of summer. Is there any way to prevent the butterfly's caterpillars from forming, and thereby have a green screen year round? Or do I need to find another vine?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9474711

I'd give it a chance and see what happens, caterpillar damage might not be as bad as you think. I have Passiflora 'White Wedding' growing on my back fence and if there's been any caterpillar damage on it, it isn't visible when I look at the vine from even a few feet away. It makes a nice green covering on the fence--I've had it for 4 yrs or so now and haven't had problems. I don't know if they like some species/cultivars better than others or if there just aren't that many of the right type of butterfly in my area but I think it's worth giving it a chance since you already planted it.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9476786

Some species are not the favorite food of these caterpillars.
P. x belotii, also called P. x alatocaerulea or P. x. pfordii (different names for same plant).
P. vitifolia is another species that is not as attractive to the caterpillars.
nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

April 9, 2013
10:12 PM

Post #9478349

ecrane3 wrote:give it a chance and see what happens, caterpillar damage might not be as bad as you think. Don't know if they like some species/cultivars better than others or if there just aren't that many of the right type of butterfly in my area but I think it's worth giving it a chance since you already planted it.

Couldn't agree more..the P. x alatocaerulea grows quite happily in a pot and you have the convenience of being able to move it to a sunnier site or even bring it indoors for the winter. Plus, it limits the spreading by rhizomes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America