Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush": Not invasive in the Pacific Northwest

Communities > Forums > Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush"
bookmark
Forum: Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush"Replies: 2, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hooikaika
Renton, WA

April 7, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9474680

Hello,

Thank you for the article. I love my Euonymus alatus 'Compacta'

I love the new spring growth when it buds out and love the red fall color.

I have high bush blueberries as well but it does not get as red as the burning bush.

There are invasive plant and weed lists in our area that I consult before planting. The burning bush and Norway Maples are not listed. In fact, Norway Maples are used as street trees here. They are planted everywhere. A lot if people have them in their yards.

The Pacific Northwest is a much different climate than other parts of the country.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2013 9:54 AM
lortay
Navan
Ireland

April 7, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9475173

It is not invasive in Ireland, either. Nor is our native E. europeus, even though it is an occasional hedgerow tree/shrub. I suspect that the seed will not ripen sufficiently in our damp summers. I do sympathise with those who have invasive plants though. e.g. Giant Hogweed, Japanese Knotweed, etc.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9475641

http://www.eddmaps.org/distribution/usstate.cfm?sub=3002
There is a map of Acer platanoides L. (Norway maples) distribution by state and you can see Washington is included. They were planting them in New England through the 1970s and 1980s and just declared them officially invasive within maybe the last 5 years. Now the cities have to pay for them to be removed when they crack or fall over.

http://www.eddmaps.org/distribution/usstate.cfm?sub=3023
The second link is for burning bush (Euonymus alata). As you can see, it hasn't reached epidemic proportions on the west coast yet. However it was first planted in 1860 in New England. I believe it will continue its relentless march across the continent.

Thank you both for your comments.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Should be outlawed in the whole US JuneyBug 9 Mar 8, 2011 9:01 AM
Had no idea! Sundownr 17 Mar 7, 2011 2:00 PM
It should burn in h... quiltjean 1 Mar 7, 2011 8:21 AM
Invasive species Notill 9 Mar 11, 2011 11:40 AM
Dwarf Burning Bushes from Stark Bro's Th d94114 3 Mar 18, 2011 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America