Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Companion planting with tips for natural pest control

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

April 7, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9475303

Ran across this article today, I know some of it is true, because I have sprinkled onion seed among carrot seed for years and gotten better green onions, I also sprinkle some among the green beans or plant green onion starts there

http://www.naturalnews.com/035853_companion_planting_garden_vegetables.html
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 8, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9475573

I have a couple of books that extol the value of companion planting but I just really don't know if that is true or not ..I almost always plant according to the suggestions from some book or other ,,Don't see that it has ever helped but afraid to risk not doing so ..If it really does help- it is the easiest thing to do "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" this was always one of my Mother's favorite quotes

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9476093

Hmmm, I'd love to find a way to repel voles! They do a number on my garden! I should try the onion/carrot trick; I have a bunch of onion sets I've grown from seed...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9478272

A lot of that can depend on your location...when one lives in or on the fringes of The 'BUG' thicket in Texas, all you do is feed the bugs. (I know, technically it is the 'Big' Thicket, but...) For every plant there is a bug that it is a designated host plant for. Sometimes you just get multiple bugs drawn in. So once you have em attracted or supposedly repelled by a plant, chase down the relatives and kill em before you simply spend a lot of time increasing and feeding that bad bug population for generations. Onions and garlic haven't even phased our bugs. They just don't settle on the onions. I don't have problems with carrot loving bugs anyway either. Now svb, leaf footed bugs, pill bugs, aphids, and a few other myriad thousands of predators are an on going rhythm.

Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 10, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9479369

GG try one of the solar powered electronic repellers they are not 100% effective but they do help Haven't tried one from Harbor Freight but there are others I got mine at LTD commodities but I don't think they carry them anymore

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9479688

Thanks, Grits. I see that Amazon has them; I may try one.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 11, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9479698

should have mentioned that I have quite a few of them the effective range depends a lot on the type of soil you have ..Untill just a couple of years back I did not even know what a vole was just thought that the gophers were downsizing through evalution due to heavy trapping LOL but I finally read enough to learn about VOLES,, In my garden class I had to make up hand outs about Voles because my class are all older folk like me and kept hearing MOLES when I was telling them about the VOLES

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9479700

We have very sandy soil that's been amended gradually over the years. How many of them do you think I'd need for a large garden - 60x70'? And what brand do you have?
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 11, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9479721

I have 2 that are Sweeney's sold at lowes and 3 that are just knock offs the Sweeny's are very spendy but just so you know I still lost a few plants but before it was getting to the point of losing all of my Tulips but since I have been using the electronic repellers my tulips have rebounded a lot

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America