Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Is anyone happy with their top-loading washer and gas dryer?

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

My mom is trying to select a new washer and dryer. (Sandy drowned all her old, reliable appliances in salt water.) She's not online, so I've been going through Consumer Reports and other review sites for her while she calls stores for information and prices.

Almost every machine with high ratings by CR has a passel of bad user reviews, often beginning with something like, "We bought this model after reading Consumer Reports..." and continuing with a hair-raising story of frequent breakdowns, bad smells, manufacturers who don't send replacement parts, and mangled clothes covered with dog hair. Speed Queen washers were almost entirely well spoken of by individual users, but Speed Queen gas dryers were not.

So I'm asking on my mom's behalf: has anyone here recently bought a washer and dryer that they're happy with? Preferably a top-loading washer and matching gas dryer?

Thanks!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

If you get a top loader make sure you get one without the agitator. On the new ones they don't move so the clothes get tangled. Get one without it and you will be fine. We bought ours several years ago and the washer we haven't had problems with except for the agitator because we didn't know better at the time. Dryer was messed up and shrank our clothes but after at least 10 calls to get it fixed and nothing working we got it replaced and haven't had problems since. We have Whirlpool brand washer and dryer. They aren't gas but they work just fine.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

If I needed a new washer I would try to find a used one from an appliance store. The new toploads only rinse in about 6 inches of water - I think the rinse cycle is very hard on the clothes. The one I have - the tub doesn't rotate. So I have a super hard time getting my clothes out from the opposite side of the washer. I have to use plastic barbecue tongs to get my clothes close enough to grab.

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, folks, and I'm sorry for your washer woes, Elsie, and your previous dryer disappointment, Pepper. I told my mom what you said, and I think she's satisfied that there's no perfect solution. (She probably will end up with Whirlpool.)

Malden, MA

Yes, that is definitely isn't...as more people are complaining about their stuff of this kind

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Erny, you should know by now that only angry people post complaints. They might sell 100,000 items and the tiny percentage that are problematic have vicious, angry owners. People seldom post positive reports. Instead they use the internet to sound off. It isn't really helpful.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i love my new top loader Samsung from lowe's. love it!!!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Now that's positively positive!

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, trackinsand! I'll tell my mom.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

just in case anyone is thinking of buying a new one, be sure to follow directions regarding detergent. mine says no "pods", no dry detergent and of course, make sure the liquid you use is has the little "he" mark on the label.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The reason the pods are not particularly good is that they supply too much detergent, and you cannot control it at all for a small load.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i wouldn't use them anyway....
just saying, read your instruction, always!
a lot of problems people have with new appliances, etc. stem from not doing a simple read-even something really simple like a toaster.

(Zone 9a)

So what happens if a man buys the appliance? :-)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

all bets are off then.......we all know that! ROF

Butler, KY

I had a Bosch front loader and hated it. Buying a used top loader tomorrow. If buying new, look into Speed Queen. I read good things about them online and they are a us company.

Problem is, the government has gotten involved in washers and it is bad. That's why the new ones are so expensive and don't work well since they don't use enough water to wash clothes.

Agawam, MA

We all have experienced many problems such as it is not running properly, making noise, not completing whole cycle and many more. Gas dryer use a burner to create heat. This burner has number of parts and is known to fail overtime. If you want, you can test these parts on your own but it is better to replace. Open the dryer door to look inside the drum if any small objects caught up this can cause weird noise. Other causes for the dryer not running properly are of blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.