Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Tomato first-timer. Is this little one diseased?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
elixir75
Dallas, TX

April 8, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9475971

This tomato plant is the variety Early Girl. I suspect this is gray leaf disease. Can anyone confirm?

Thumbnail by elixir75
Click the image for an enlarged view.

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9476075

Looks fine to me.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9476082

Maybe a little wind/cold damage. It has been extremely windy lately and cold than normal in DFW.
Make sure you will take your container indoor from Wednesday to Friday.

As soon as you will see the first flower bud, remove all the leaves below it. So you will get read of those yellow ones.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
11:43 PM

Post #9476961

Do any of your other plants have the discoloration on the leaves? Do you mean gray mold? It looks like spider mite damage to me. But the time, temp etc aren't really rite. If it were me I'd isolate it from the other plants, just as a precaution.
elixir75
Dallas, TX

April 9, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9478184

None of my other ones have discoloration, but I bought them at different times. They're all very recently transplanted though.

It looks similar to the gray leaf spot pics on this page:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vegetable/tomato-problem-solver/leaves/

However, I think drthor may be correct and it's likely the cold spell last weekend that caused it.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9478271

That is a great site, I just know of a couple diseases that start out looking similar to that. It may just be the crazy weather but I recommend keeping an eye on it and if it gets worse don't ignore it. Are they in the ground? I usually see a slight purplish discoloration before the disease spreads on the plant and to other plants. Keep us posted, please. Always so much to learn.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

April 9, 2013
10:46 PM

Post #9478374

All of the first ten tomatoes I set out looked just like the one you are showing. They were just smaller than yours. I think it is the cold spring and we had to leave them in the cold frame to long. As the temperture warmed and they began to get their roots down and grow, I put just enough Miracle Grow in a bucket of water to turn it a very pale blue and poured about six ounces arount them. They have turned a beautiful dark geen now and have jumped to about a foot high.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America