Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Carrots, Radishes, any underground veggies.

Plantersville, TX(Zone 9a)

I have experienced huge top growth from my carrots, & raddish. Can I presume that these underground veggies don't need fertilizer, like nitrogen, at planting time of the seeds.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

they are not heavy feeders and don't require much nitrogen. However some varieties have very large tops compared to other varieties. I prefer to add fertilizer as side dressing to established plants. Sometimes fertilizer at planting can interfere with germination.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

If you are gluing to fertilize it would be good to use something with a high middle #, phosphorous. Nitrogen encourages foliage growth not root growth.

I can believe I'm sowing beets and radishes at this time of year in Tx, but the temps seem ok for it.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

behillman
when did you seed your radishes or carrots?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Bee,
I agree that your root crops will thank you for a good hit of phosphorous to encourage strong root growth. Go real EZ on the nitro.

Lisa,
I'm sowing more carrot, turnip, and beet seeds this evening!

My current carrots are growing wonderfully well in two 15-gallon SmartPots. I'm planning on sowing more seeds in some deep containers that I can move around into the breezy shade. It'll keep them cooler. Also, I plan on covering them with the tulle I bought to keep the moths from using them as egg depots. I'll invest in some "Big Bands" rubber bands or some bungie cords to anchor the tulle.

Linda

Linda

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Farmerdill- I didn't realize that fertilizer at sowing/planting time could interfere with germination. Is this true for all seeds? Could you explain a little more? How about when I put out transplants?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.