Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Carrots, Radishes, any underground veggies.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9476094

I have experienced huge top growth from my carrots, & raddish. Can I presume that these underground veggies don't need fertilizer, like nitrogen, at planting time of the seeds.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9476179

they are not heavy feeders and don't require much nitrogen. However some varieties have very large tops compared to other varieties. I prefer to add fertilizer as side dressing to established plants. Sometimes fertilizer at planting can interfere with germination.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
11:13 PM

Post #9476943

If you are gluing to fertilize it would be good to use something with a high middle #, phosphorous. Nitrogen encourages foliage growth not root growth.

I can believe I'm sowing beets and radishes at this time of year in Tx, but the temps seem ok for it.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9477452

behillman
when did you seed your radishes or carrots?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9477462

Bee,
I agree that your root crops will thank you for a good hit of phosphorous to encourage strong root growth. Go real EZ on the nitro.

Lisa,
I'm sowing more carrot, turnip, and beet seeds this evening!

My current carrots are growing wonderfully well in two 15-gallon SmartPots. I'm planning on sowing more seeds in some deep containers that I can move around into the breezy shade. It'll keep them cooler. Also, I plan on covering them with the tulle I bought to keep the moths from using them as egg depots. I'll invest in some "Big Bands" rubber bands or some bungie cords to anchor the tulle.

Linda

Linda
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9477779

Farmerdill- I didn't realize that fertilizer at sowing/planting time could interfere with germination. Is this true for all seeds? Could you explain a little more? How about when I put out transplants?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America