Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Cherry tomato plant issues.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 8, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9476386

Last year I planted from seed some heirloom cherry tomato plants. Long story short they never yeilded any usable fruit, as it got to cold by the time the tomatoes grew out.
Just wondering if anyone might have an idea as to why that is?
This spring (Mid Feb), before it got warm I redid all my pots with new soil and stuck some seeds in the dirt, the hope was that once the weather breaks they will come up. Today is our first warm day 70f here :)
Should I wait and see or should I resow?
Sorry for the newbie q's.
Thanks.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9476791

I would put the pots for sprouting tomato seeds in a warmer place.
A friend of mine sets his on top of his aquarium, and tomato, pepper seeds and others sprout in just a few days.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9477266

Start them sooner indoors next year if you have room or use milk jugs to start them in like little green houses
nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

April 9, 2013
10:17 PM

Post #9478355

Tomatoes really do need a warm environment to grow.. On top of an aquarium can be a great option (that is if you do have one)..

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9478993

Yes, seedlings are very susceptible to cold and it is best to start them indoors where the soil temps are above 70 degrees.
Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY

April 11, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9480027

I would definately re-sow. I started 2 separate batches of cherry tomatoes. The first time I planted 12 seeds on March 17th and within a week 11 were up. The second time I sowed 6 seeds on the 1st of April and all 6 are up. I didn't do anything fancy. I have a large window that I lined with roofing tar paper (my version of bottom heat) and set the trays on that in the window sill. My first batch is about 5 inches tall and have their first true leaves. The second batch is about an inch tall. I have 20 bell pepper plants up, loads of petunias, geraniums etc. I didn't use any lights or heating mats. Just sunshine and a nice warm room.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9482521

Thanks to you all. I will re-sow tomorrow. I have 5 fishtanks so I guess I can use that. :) Thanks for the info.
~C~
Would the same be needed for my morning glories/moon flowers? Re-sow those as well?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9483338

I sow mine indoors just to get a jump on the season, but you can sow them outdoors if you want.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 14, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9484096

Hi Cicca, Here in Scotland I have the same trouble as you had last year, in fact here, over the last 3 years my Tomato's have not been worth all the trouble nor the peppers, cucumbers ect due to weather too cold, not enough sun light and the soil not warming up early enough, I am luck in as much that I have a large greenhouse and also an electric propagator to give me a good start BUT we have not had a long enough period of good sunlight for the tomato's to grow then ripen, made lots of green tomato chutney though, sick of the sight of it now though.

The Tomato's, peppers, cucumbers and all that type of summer fruiting plants do require a longer growing season, so best time to start off the seeds as mentioned is mid FEB, after a few weeks and true leaves have grown, pot the plants on into individual pots We call these pots Thumb pots by fact they are as tall as thumb from tip ti top joint at palm of hand.
Don't be tempted to feed these little seedlings they need to make good roots under the soil as well as make foliage ect. Once the plants have filled the pot with roots, you need to re-pot into maybe 3 inch pots, again don't feed, just use good quality compost, you start to feed as soon as the plants begin to produce flowers and every week give a feed, then increase the feeding to 2 times a week then more as the fruit appears, don't let these plants dry out, and you either end up using 12 inch pot or plant out in garden IF warm enough. treat all the other salad type fruiting plants the same, I use a tomato liquid feed or half strength sea weed liquid feed is good too.

You could get a small crop this year but if not, start as I mentioned earlier next year,
Good luck, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America