Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Will this work?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9476620

I've only ever started mother of thousands by putting the babies on top of the soil. They start so quickly and really grow fast. I love this plant.

Well, I had a big huge pot of it that was beautiful, but it got bit back at first cold spell this winter and several times since. I just left it alone, and it's really putting out on top, but the lower leaves are all scraggly and ugly. So, I dumped it all out (breaking more leaves), divided it up, trimmed it and repotted, because it had such a big root system.. Will it take? Hope so.

And here they are, waiting to go home with YOU from the RU!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9476680

Very nice Sybil, I think it will just fine.
TexasDollie
Windcrest, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
4:45 AM

Post #9477061

I don't think you can STOP this plant from growing. :~) When I was a kid I had one of these on my windowsill. The momma dropped babies all over, and they rooted and started growing in my blue-green shag carpet (yes I'm old) before I knew they were there.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9483134

Have you ever seen the bloom stalk? Shoots up to 6' and puts on red orange blooms. I've seen one once...
TexasDollie
Windcrest, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9483380

I have too...once I tried to kill one (the mother of the carpet babies) by NOT watering it. In response, it started growing, growing, growing, putting out more babies, and in the end, it curled all around the window and bloomed. I finally broke it in half and threw it away, then it started growing sprouts while it was in the trash can. I am afraid of these plants. :~P
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9483748

Mother of thousands. It can be very invasive if it's not contolled by freezes.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2013 2:42 PM
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9485041

It seems to feel loved when experience neglect. That's why I'm crazy about it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America