Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Green mold in soil of radish seedlings

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TValdez
Kihei, HI

April 8, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9476682

Hello, I'm growing radish in a container and I noticed that the soil is green and moldy. I researched and found that it's probably due to circulation and overwatering issues so how do I go about getting rid of the mold other than cut back in watering and spacing out my plants? Do I have to toss my seedlings even though they look good? Do I have to transplant them into different soil? Does the mold go away once I let them dry out in the sun? Thanks!
SwallowFeather
Tiskilwa, IL

April 9, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9477632

No, don't toss your seedlings if they still look good! You could try cutting back on watering, putting the tray in the sun to dry out, etc, but that's a delicate dance with your seedlings' water needs, so I'd recommend something different. (I mean, maybe you should but back a little, but if you're depending on that to kill the mold you could be tempted to cut back too much.)

The main danger from mold that I'm aware of is "damping off". This is where all your seedlings suddenly keel over like they got broken off at the root and die, and there's a particular type of fungus that causes it, which is probably not what you have, since your seedlings look fine--BUT since you're aware that your conditions are getting a little fungus-friendly, prevention is in order.

What I do to prevent damping off is spray the seedlings with cold chamomile tea. Seriously! Chamomile is a natural antifungal. It's also gentle--there are commercial anti-fungal preparations but you do want to be careful what you use on seedlings since they're usually fragile, and chamomile is definitely harmless to them.

So if I were you I'd make up some chamomile tea, put it in a little spray bottle and spray it on. Good luck!
TValdez
Kihei, HI

April 10, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9479386

Great!!! I will try the chamomile tea! thanks so much!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America