Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Texas Gardening: Found clumps of native grass. Would love an ID please.

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9476897

i love these. i found them in several areas, and i'm fairly certain i want to protect them.
Can someone give me a little more info on these?
and yes, i'm assuming they are desirable. please let me know if i'm wrong.

I had posted this on the Grass & Bamboo Forum, but have not had any responses.
Hoping someone more familiar with Texas natives can help me

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9477115

No You DON'T want to keep those. Speargrass, wire grass, invasive, when those long spears break loose they have a sharp barbed spear- are Known to kill animals a slow death when they make their way into skin, lungs when breathed. nasty, nasty stuff found from all over southern areas

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9477116

I am sorry I am terrible with grasses, but if you can take a closer picture and let us know when the picture was taken, I see it is blooming, it might be helpful.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9477141

Cajun? pull gently on that long tail and it will detach itself and you will see the 'spear' they are mature enough you can do that now
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9477541

OH I dont like that grass here either...forever pulling those spears out of my socks and pants..been digging them up for years and put on burnpile then I know they won't grow back...grrrrr..

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9477582

they grow back since those spears are hitchikers that fall off the little mammals tjat cross the yard brings them back. Allow me to add that lawnmowers cant cut this grass- it dulls the blades super fast and just shreds the grass bad edges and stalks if at best

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9477641

It's also called Texas wintergrass: http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=nale3
In a pasture grazed by cattle, not sheep or goats, it's a desirable native grass for winter and early spring grazing.
It's also a host plant for several butterflies.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9477653

It's also fun for kids to play with...if they can amuse themselves with their imaginations!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9478140

Yes, better than hide n seek with bb guns, chuckle, but not much more. It might be a decent graze, but our cows avoided it in favor of other prairie grasses. There are several different variations of this stuff by the way, being a native tho, we have still managed to spread it to Australia and Canada. It is only good for grazing if kept grazed, let's see: Heteropogon contortus and Nasselia leucotricha. Andropogoneae, the genus Stipa causes the most damage to animals. Other common names ---Tanglehead, porcupine grass, Blackseed needlegrass, needle and thread, Spanish needles. By the way it can puncture lips of the cows eating it and like a fish hook, the barb is backwards. As said it causes deaths of small animals if it works its way into them.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 10, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9478985

Now this was an educational thread. I have gradually gotten most of this removed from my 1/3 acre spread... With a shovel and those brown bags the city trash people will pick up. The goat didn't like it, she only liked winter rye in the grass department
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9479218

If that is speargrass we try to keep the livestock out of it. It can cause abscesses and digestive problems...mouth sores etc..

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9479320

smart goat. stuff is tough. even small. Flutterbys - yes skippers, better sources in other plants though for them.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9480441

I don't guess there's any doubt this is the speargrass. I'll be getting it out of my yard this weekend.
Thanks all for your input on this.
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2013
10:21 PM

Post #9491462

When I was growing up in FtW, we called it Indian spears. Get one, put it our mouth & pull it out wet, to make the barbs come up & throw them @ each other. Oh, the things we did as kids!!!
:~)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America