Photo by Melody

Article: Should Humans Eat Seeds? We're Not Birds, After All!: Eating seeds

Communities > Forums > Article: Should Humans Eat Seeds? We're Not Birds, After All!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Should Humans Eat Seeds? We're Not Birds, After All!Replies: 3, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JfAJ
Montague, TX

April 9, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9477444

Enjoyed this and all your articles - thank you.
As you point out, essentially all our foodstuff is seeds. They are life.
I add flaxseed to my oatmeal,whole wheat,cornflour pancakes. And to my eggs. (even an egg is a seed!) I've made a bread with ground wild bird feed that was kinda gritty (grist grinder), but good and filling.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9477845

Agreed, I love how much more filling seedy things are.

I'm going to say "seeds" are vegetable. I'm not calling mushrooms and yeasts "seeds" which means eggs are metaphorically seeds but not literally.

Thank you for your sweet comment.
kmm44
Dayton, OH

April 10, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9479230

I never realized how much of what we eat is seeded or seed-related until I ended up in the hospital with a major diverticulitis attack. I had eaten popcorn the night before, which might have led to it. After the colonoscopy, I was told there was no other problem and cautioned to avoid eating seeds. HAH! There is no way to completely avoid seeds, except to go on a liquid diet. This was in April '96. In July we were at the Atlanta Olympics, where the first thing that hit us when we walked into any venue was the smell of...POPCORN! I held out almost the whole 2 1/2 weeks were there and finally at the men's soccer gold medal game I couldn't stand it any more. My husband and I shared a small bag and I didn't have any bad effects. So I decided "everything in moderation" was probably a good rule. Life's too short to live without popcorn (and berries, and tomatoes, and cucumbers,squash and many vegetables...) I never eat just seeds by themselves, but try not to overdo anything else.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9479292

Ugh, yeah, human digestion does not always agree with our tastes (now that we've gone past nuts, berries and the occasional woolly mammoth). But if it were up to me (and somebody else were doing the food prep), I could happily live on seeds, nuts, fruits and veggies.

I'm glad you got over the diverticulitis. Are you sure you were smelling popcorn,or were you smelling oil, butter or salt? Our paleolithic sense of smell leads us to the bad stuff, I'm afraid. But I definitely agree, life's too short to completely abstain from favorite foods!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Should Humans Eat Seeds? We're Not Birds, After All! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Phytic Acid in seeds, etc. HoneybeeNC 13 Apr 4, 2013 5:19 PM
Thought provoking article! Amargia 3 Apr 9, 2013 2:30 PM
Well done!! threegardeners 1 Apr 2, 2013 9:41 AM
Great article. CountryGardens 1 Apr 2, 2013 12:23 PM
If I eat enough seeds will I grow wings? wandygirl 1 Apr 8, 2013 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America