Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: help, my squash leave's are looking funny!

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 30, Views: 263
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9478226

I know there is an answer on here somewhere, but my squash plants leaves are showing something weird. Can anyone help me figure this out so I can get an upper hand on them before any more damage happens. I also have some plants bearing fruit already, what do I do, if their side by side, and it is a fungus, or mold of some sort? Help, I have a lot vested in this garden, and want to get the most from it!
Also, I'm not sure of what picture's I posted here, hard to see the small thumb nails, till you send the picture's, but one of the plants have "spots" on them. I do water overhead some days, not always, but the spots look like water marks from watering overhead. The other damage, looks like something I've seen on the internet, but can"t remember what it is! If you know, what can I do to correct the problem, these are supposed to be disease resistance squashes. I don't have the name right now, but can post it if It's important!

Thanks in advance, Jami

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9478234

Another problem, I have some egg plants in, and something is eating hole's in the leave's. I can't find anything as far as bugs or anything on the bottom of the leave's, but these have been out for about a month, planted into a container from seedlings. What do you think is the problem here? I'm new to raised bed planting, and have 1 year experience in container gardening. I just want things to work out, to the best of my ability. Thanks, Jami

Thumbnail by jamibad
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9478235

Leaves age yellow and die, but not till farther back on the vine. Looks like sunscald. The fungus will be a soft black sooty looking stuff that starts on the fruits themselves. Don't water as much, and try to only water ground levels, or late evening... others will be along to let you know more about your Florida area problems I am sure

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9478241

Bugs hide just before the sun comes up, down in the ground under the plant. To catch them you have to hit the dawn lights. I have never used mulch in the pots themselves- that also creates places for bugs and worms to hide. Though you might use a few sheets of newspaper around the plant- the bugs might not hide as deep in the soil from heat and light and when you lift the newspaper you might find your culprit.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9478254

And one last question, Tomato plants! I've been raising them in buckets, and have always picked off the sucker leave's, I end up with a spindly looking plant, some fruits, but not over the top extravagant ! This year I decided not to pluck the sucker leave's. I've read where some do, and some don't. here are a few of my plants, they are full of foliage, and the blossoms are now starting to bloom. What are the cons, and pro's of picking the suckers from the plant? These plants look very healthy compared to years past. And No, I don't raise them from seed! I get them from Lowe's as small plants, bury them far into the ground, and as of this year, leave them do what they want. I feed with miracle grow tomato food, I also add a little epsom salt, I read where they thrive on the epsom, so give me the low down on what your feeling are on this subject? Thanks all, looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say on the sucker picking vs. not! Jami

btw, these are all different type's of tomato plants, all are in raised beds except for 2, their in buckets! I have to post a few more in the next post, so you can see all! Thanks for looking, and any feedback given!

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9478266

here are the other tomato plants I have in the beds! Jami

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad      

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9478274

Its a good year for tomatoes looks like. Suckering shoots can be free tomatoes, but plucking them is 'forcing' the plant. I don't trim unless the branches get too heavy and split, or the leaves yellow and die. It is just personal choice. Many gardeners can graft the suckers, or just replant the suckers and a tomato will take the invite and grow. Production. I will thin thick leaves and branches a tiny bit for air circualtion on some varieties.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9478288

Sounds good kitt, I just know by cutting the suckers, my plant would look like charlie browns christmas tree till I was done! So spindly!!! I think I'll follow your advise, the plants looks so healthy leaving them alone! Thanks! Jami
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9478563

On the squash plants: Silver veining is normal for many varieties especially zucchini.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9478579

Farmedill I was just thinking the same about the squash.

Jamibad, are these all the same variety of squash?

I have a huge believer on removing suckers on my tomatoes. I grow a lot of plants close together. I need to remove suckers and i do have a lot of production.
You need to find out if your tomatoes are determinate or indeterminate variety. I don't remove suckers on my determinate variety. I hope it will help.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9479248

I don't remove suckers as it leaves an open wound for disease to enter. That's just personal choice, but something to think about. I do remove the leaves and branches as they die.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9479443

I never had a disease entering the plant after removing a sucker.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9479453

Hello to all! Hope you all had a great day today!

My squash "are" different, some are summer squash, and some are Zucchini, I planted them all together, not really thinking about cross breeding,hope that isn't a problem. I'm so new to this, that between the garden and "Ask" on the internet, I'm surprised my lap top is still clean. I think of a question, or need to know something, that between the garden and my lap top, I have a thread bare trail.

As for my tomato's, some are determinate, some aren't. And as a newbie, when planting some, I have 9 planted so far, I didn't know what the difference was, till I looked it up. Now I know. Some have the little name card that came with them, and some I planted, and don't know what happened to the card. I think I have half and half. But, as long as I'm able to keep the air going through them, and keeping the tomato's in the sun, will I be OK?

Something else popped up, new to me. I bought blood meal, bone meal, miracle gro, fish emulsion, and everything else I read about on here. I just did a walk through the other day, and sprinkled a small amount of blood meal through out the garden, and than watered it it. What do I do next, can I spray the garden with the MG now? When do I use the bone meal, I'm thinking soon. My PH is running 7.0 through most of the garden. I use compost, home made and store bought, I have an abundance of dead leaves, greens, and kitchen scraps that I compost, and I buy black cow compost. I also incorporate the compost into the garden as I get a chance to sift it through my sifter. I think I'm on the right path, just confused about the way to incorporate it into the soil. Someone told me not to over amend the soil, as that will cause me problems. I'm at a stage where I really need answers and guidance! Things are looking so good, I don't want to ruin it, to much time and money spent to screw up now!

Any feed back I can get is good feed back. I'm not over watering as I did last year in my container garden, I monitor that pretty good, just want to know more about the stuff I'm adding to the soil!

Thanks all. Have a great day! Jami
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9479487

Normally you would amend your soil before planting, let the blood meal or bone meal become available to the plants in a form they can use. I have never used blood meal and only a very little bone meal so I can't speak from experience. I do know that blood meal is very high in nitrogen and can easily burn your plants and that walking though the garden spreading it around is not the correct way to do it. Use your compost and the black cow, but hold off on the rest till you find out what each plant needs and don't assume you will need to use all that extra stuff. Blood meal, Fish emulsion, MG are all high in nitrogen. I don't think many plants would actually benefit from the Bone meal. I have read about adding it at planting time to many plants but that practice is not always advisable either.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9479521

Chuckl, bone and blood meal are mixed into the dirt before planting, bone meal doesn't do much good afterwards, but is used on bulbing plants. Fish emulsion, is a good moderate nitrogen fertilizer at the right doses, MG is also a safe fertilizer used for constant applications IF at the right doses, can sprinkle, better premixed with water as MG is also a foliar fed fertilizer that can be used every day. Black Kow depending on the area purchased is actually well composted black dirt mixed so that it isn't solid clay- really good in sandy soils. DO NOT use more nitrogen on the tomatoes. They will give you gorgeous leaves and no fruits. Zucchinis and yellow squash should be seperated- the zucchini is too close kin to the yellow and shares no ability to maintain distinction of fruit. If you get a lot of water the fertilizer is naturally diluted.
There are many vegetable plants that are not finicky about their ph - many believe the ph creates and destroys flavor in some veggies( i.e. onions, peppers,) Now I havent heard you mentioning use of Epsom salts- 1Tablespoon to a gal of water (or sprinkled on the soil) maybe once a month adds magnesium to plants that may need this. The effect is a greener plant visually. Composts are good for vegetables, useless on flowers but need used as mixed not straight.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
9:18 PM

Post #9479534

Why doesn't bone meal do any good afterwards?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9479663

jamibad wrote:My squash "are" different, some are summer squash, and some are Zucchini, I planted them all together, not really thinking about cross breeding,hope that isn't a problem.

Cross-breeding isn't a problem unless you want to save seeds. If you are just growing for veggies, you are fine.

(There are a couple of plants where cross breeding can be a problem the first year, but only because the "fruit" we eat is the seeds. Corn is one.)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9479667

I personally am not sure, I suspect because it is used more as a soil conditioner that protects the new bulbs/plants and simply isnt needed as the plant gets older. There have been some good professional explanations in these forums, but I cannot remember by whom or where.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2013
4:32 AM

Post #9479672

I have had much worse luck from my squash than eating summer crookneck zucchinis. They quit producing for me totally.Shrug.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9479673

Its just that bone meal is well, bone! It takes a long time to break down and become useful to the plant. The bone meal would eventually become helpful if a plant needed it, but for a short lived plant it might be too late.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9480617

I agree it may not be available to the plants as fast but it seems like it would be a good amendment to the soil and it's cheap. I know gardeners that put it at the bottom of the planting hole.

I too have seen my veggies x. I know you aren't supposed to see it until you grow the seeds but my plants have produced some very unusually shaped / colored veggies. I've had it happen with squash, beans and peppers. Mine never stopped producing but the fruit was funny looking.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9482199

On the "eggplant full of holes" issue, I posted on that exact topic and got some good answers, so check that out. I posted that originally on March 24th and the latest comment was April 5th, I think.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9483109

LiseP, I found your thread for the problem, Kaolin Clay? I'm going to look for it, I read some of the responses in the correspondence between members of DG, sounds interesting, and doable:). I also noticed in my garden some small holes, in my cucumbers which are close to the egg plants, but the funny thing is, I never see anything on these plants, the front and back of the leaves are void of any prowlers. weird, what do they do, come eat dinner and leave? Anyway, I'm on it, going to check this stuff out. I have neem oil, and seven dust, haven't used anything as of yet, hate to jump the gun if things are ok, But your response was very well received. Thanks!
To everyone who commented on the bone meal, Thanks to you all. I added it, it's a done deal,, and I won't be using it again, unless, I use it next year to get the garden soil amended before I plant anything. Hopefulyl I won't need to do to much since this will be the 2nd year for the garden. With everything I put in this year to get it started, from everything I read, it shouldn't take much to get new things started when I'm ready to do so. I'll be living the easy life than, all the hard work was done this year, because it was the first year! Plus, I'll know more than I did this year.
Thanks to all who have helped me tread my way through the newness of having a garden! You all are in my thoughts every time I fix something or go to do something I'm not sure about! Thanks again

Now...Where is this rain, waiting for 2 1/2 days now. I wish these weather people would get it right!!! I had to water this evening, because I woke up this morning, was told we had a 50% chance of rain, it sure looked like it, than the dark clouds went away and we had a beautiful blue sky, not a dark cloud to be seen. I want some rain!!!

BTW, I forgot to mention, my squash plants are starting to produce, looking good, I thought I had a problem with them, but I guess it was just the cold nights we had for a while, the cucumbers too. I have about 8- 4" yellow summer squash and getting tiny baby cukes. Seems to soon, to see fruit, but I do know, I see so many bee's, and butterfly's in my garden everyday, I guess they like what I have planted and are content to pollinate everything for me.

You all have a happy sparkling kind of day, Happy gardening!!! Jami
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9520036

Regarding bone meal - Last year I put them on my peppers, and within DAYS they went nuts. They flourished. Taller, greener, more fruit. I applied every 2-3 weeks and had a great crop (better than ever). I'm a convert.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9520990

happygirl, Everything I read about bone meal says it works best in a fresh garden, before the plants are in, I'm happy to hear something different! How do you apply it ? Give me more info, I'm excited!!! Thanks! Jami
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9529956

I am pretty casual about quantities...maybe 1 Tbsp around the drip line of each plant every couple of weeks. I sprinkled it, then worked it in lightly with a gloved hand (just so it was under the surface). Then I watered.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9530005

hi everyone, I've been seeing some great results with my plants, getting many squash, cucumbers, peas, and sugar snap peas. I also have a lot of green bush beans producing now. I was in the garden yesterday, and found holes in my red pepper plants, the leaves look chewed on too. These plants are about 2-3 months old, and they do have fruit starting to grow on them, but I was shocked to see something had crawled inside of them. I took 3 small peppers off the plant, opened them up and found nothing. I thought for sure I'd see a worm or two for that matter. The plants I started from seed are still in the seedling stage, but something is eating the leaves, here again, I looked on and under the leave's, what was left of them, and even dug in the soil looking for the culprit! Nothing, ugh!!!! What is doing this to my peppers. They're planted beside my tomato's, and nothing is getting on them. Other than that, I finally pulled the pea plants, they were about done, getting stringy, leggy looking, leaves all crunchy and brown, quit producing, the sugar snaps look like they'll be the next to go, but I did put in more a month after the first batch, and those are starting to produce, but they are kinda intertwined with the older plants, so I guess I'll leave it in the ground. My squash plants did a big turn around, and I've had squash everyday for about 2 weeks now, 3-4 a day coming off the plants, all zucchini though! Here's the weird thing, and we discussed this above. I planted just as many yellow summer squash as I did zucchini, yet all but 2 of the plants are giving me zucchini's. I know what I planted, is it possible the seed company put the wrong seed in the envelope? All my seeds were Burpee Seeds.I know this sounds funny, but the fact was stated they don't cross breed. Yet, only 2 of the 6 plants I planted of the yellow summer squash, are giving me yellow, the other 4 are growing zucchini. Too weird!!!

The last picture is of the pepper plant that I had found hole's in the fruit. You can't see them in the picture, but you can see the plant isn't that old yet, it's still only about 5"-6" high, I didn't feel bad picking the fruit off, maybe it just needs to grow more before letting the fruit develop. I did that last year and had many peppers of all kinds!
The other picture's are of course, the squash. These are the same plants I was freaking out about a few weeks ago!! Thanks for helping me through that drama! lol!

And how was your day ? Have a good beautiful day! Jami

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9530010

btw, the pepper picture does show the damaged leaves! Maybe that'll help someone ID the problem for me!! Thanks Jami

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9530437

wow ... I am having zucchini's envy ... sight ...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9530484

My squash plants in my upper garden are beautiful, setting fruit, and I haven't found any bugs on them except for the bee that was stuck in the closed male flower. I let it out. Lol But in the lower garden I have some transplanted squash and today I found the first squash bugs of the season and some eggs. They have been dispatched to bug heaven.

What do you do with all that squash,Jami?

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9530561

Eat it!! LOL! Honestly, I make bread, casserole's, eat it raw dipped in salad dressing, and freeze it for bread and soups in the future! I don't even blanch it, just slice it up and freeze it. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, But, I love my vegetables!

I can't wait till my tomato's turn red, than I'll wonder what to do with all them! lol! I never canned before! I guess it'll be time to learn if they all turn red at once!

Have a great evening, see you all tomorrow! Jami!

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America