Which old rose is this?

Kyle, TX

I just now found this section on roses and thought I should put my rose photos on this identification site as well as the regular one. This rose has average thorns, nice fragrance and seems to be a very vigorous grower. I know it's an old rose but don't know which one. I thought it might be Marchessa bocella but it seems to have long branches, which makes me think it's a climber. Anyone have any ideas?

Thumbnail by crabmeat Thumbnail by crabmeat Thumbnail by crabmeat
Richmond, TX

What size are the blooms, and do you know whether it is a repeat bloomer?

Kyle, TX

The blooms seem to be about 2 1/2 inches wide. I've had it in a pot since last year and it bloomed a little in the spring, but I don't think it bloomed much after that. This year it has many more blooms.

Richmond, TX

I think you may be right in your ID. It looks a bit like Souvenir de la Malmaison or Elie Beauvilain, but more like Marchessa. Lovely rose! I love how it starts out strongly quartered and ends up all frowsy.

Kyle, TX

Thanks! It's good to know that you also see it as Marchessa. It's a nice rose and seems to be tough as well as pretty! Thanks again.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Indeed, it is Marchesa. Here is a close-up of it in my garden. They look like twins!

And yes, it does, after a few years, tend to climb. In the second picture, the original rose is on the right. The section in the middle of the platycodon leaves appeared last year.

Picture 3 shows the "new section" a few weeks later.

Oh, I just found a really good shot! Picture 4! This is one year later than the other pictures, almost to the day!

I love this rose so much that when I moved I bought two new ones, since I did not want to damage her by moving her.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, and keep deadheading it! Here it is in my northern garden in October!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Kyle, TX

Thank you for the photos and information. I really like this rose and it's nice knowing its name!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.