Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: Which old rose is this?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 7, Views: 175
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
crabmeat
Kyle, TX

April 10, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9478698

I just now found this section on roses and thought I should put my rose photos on this identification site as well as the regular one. This rose has average thorns, nice fragrance and seems to be a very vigorous grower. I know it's an old rose but don't know which one. I thought it might be Marchessa bocella but it seems to have long branches, which makes me think it's a climber. Anyone have any ideas?

Thumbnail by crabmeat   Thumbnail by crabmeat   Thumbnail by crabmeat
Click an image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 11, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9479739

What size are the blooms, and do you know whether it is a repeat bloomer?
crabmeat
Kyle, TX

April 11, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9480052

The blooms seem to be about 2 1/2 inches wide. I've had it in a pot since last year and it bloomed a little in the spring, but I don't think it bloomed much after that. This year it has many more blooms.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 11, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9480196

I think you may be right in your ID. It looks a bit like Souvenir de la Malmaison or Elie Beauvilain, but more like Marchessa. Lovely rose! I love how it starts out strongly quartered and ends up all frowsy.
crabmeat
Kyle, TX

April 11, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9480847

Thanks! It's good to know that you also see it as Marchessa. It's a nice rose and seems to be tough as well as pretty! Thanks again.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9490245

Indeed, it is Marchesa. Here is a close-up of it in my garden. They look like twins!

And yes, it does, after a few years, tend to climb. In the second picture, the original rose is on the right. The section in the middle of the platycodon leaves appeared last year.

Picture 3 shows the "new section" a few weeks later.

Oh, I just found a really good shot! Picture 4! This is one year later than the other pictures, almost to the day!

I love this rose so much that when I moved I bought two new ones, since I did not want to damage her by moving her.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9490256

Oh, and keep deadheading it! Here it is in my northern garden in October!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click the image for an enlarged view.

crabmeat
Kyle, TX

April 26, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9498575

Thank you for the photos and information. I really like this rose and it's nice knowing its name!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America