-
AuthorContent
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9478704

I have read all the articles in DG about lasagna gardening and I'm still not sure about this. I broke down 2 huge heavy cardboard boxes at work to lay the groundwork for a new raised bed we're getting ready to build-12' x 4' x 12" deep.
DH thinks the cardboard is too thick and won't break down fast enough. I said I thought that was the idea, that the bottom layer is supposed to prevent weed seeds from germinating. Who is right?
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

April 10, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9479138

When I put 1/2" of cardboard in my new raised beds -- AND SOAKED IT -- and put 24" of leaves on top and covered with black plastic all winter, by spring, the cardboard was still there in remnents. And the earthworms were 3 per handful of dirt Water DOES go through it. Earthworms DO eat through it. Weeds have NOT gone through it.

But you have to be a diplomat, so how about putting down cardboard on HALF the bed, try it through a season and see what works for your yard and your gardening methods.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9479178

Cardboard will get watersoaked pretty quick. 12 inches of dirt by itself will block germinating seeds but not things like grass clumps and wild garlic that can sprout up through. Those get blocked by cardboard or paper fiber, keeping them from going right on up and getting to the sunlight.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9479756

Thank you all!

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9482010

Add my vote.

DO use the cardboard and/or a thick layer of b&w newsprint. I do it for all my raised beds. It's SOP for me - never turned over any of the native soil, either. Within 2 years I could sink my hands almost elbow deep into the beds - no weeds/grass erupting through the barrier, either.

Best luck.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9484789

Thanks again everyone!! Well, it's done. DH & I worked all day Saturday (well at least I worked all day :)) and the bottom of our bed is cardboard. Then wood chips, newspapers, lots of compost, straw and shredded paper from work. It's almost full and I am tired, tired, tired. Had to come back to work to rest!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America