AuthorContent
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9479402

Has taken the better part of 8

years to build my flower garden. At first it was almost all tropicals and other plants that were not suitable for my area. After years of Sheila and Josephine's influence, finally switched to natives and Texas wildflowers. Oh, what glory! Some of the wildflowers are just beginning their second year and have been all lush and bushy...some beginning to bud. Well, a few days ago tragedy reared its ugly head. Next door neighbor on the south sprayed his yard. You know how strong the winds have been from the south. Highly doubt any of the poison hit his yard but it sure did a number on mine. He is not a malicious person and loves my blooms as much as I do. Ignorance is the culprit. I am not mad at him, but still I am just crushed.

I have been dealt worse heartaches and this can be eventually fixed. Just so unnecessary.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9479418

Oh! I am so sorry, did it actually kill your plants? or was it just some damage.
I had some of that happen to me once and it sure is upsetting, my heart goes out to you.
Please let me know if you need to replace some plants, and I will see what I can do to help.
Josephine.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
9:46 PM

Post #9479554

Jo, I'm hoping this rain will help with some of it.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9479716

I am sure it will Christi, please let me know if I ca help with something.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 11, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9479811

You would think anyone would read the labels enough to at least get to the part about spraying in windy conditions,several days ago one of my neighbors was trying toset a huge pile of leaves on fire and I explained to her that #1 it was to wet to burn #2 it was a waste of resourses to burn leaves and her reply was "what else can I do with them??? so I patiently explained to her about recycleing leaves as compost and allowed here to add her leaves to my compost pile ..She had never heard of such a thing so I asked her to please attend our Thursday night gardening class...
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9479839

Oh, dear. I am so sorry. Like you all, I've had this happen a couple of time to me, too. It always feels like it is personal even though we know it isn't (usually). Even though your neighbor didn't intend to do what he did, I know it is hard to balance that out with the sence of loss and even violation. Take a few "me" days and then start over--maybe bigger and better?!?

If you see anything here on Dave's that I have that you might want please feel free to D-Mail me and I'll send you cuttings or seed or whatever. I don't have many natives yet. Just really getting started, but any rose cuttings or veggie seeds or canna starts--just let me know.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9479849

After the wonderful rain and now sunshine for today I'm not even going to assess the damage until tomorrow. Maybe if I don't look at it it will go away.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9479854

oh NO! sigh... i'm sorry to hear ... anything i might can share with you?

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9480015

Sorry to hear that. Well, the good news is that it's still early in the season, so there is time to replant and have new growth and blooms again this summer. And hopefully the rain did help to mitigate the damage. Hang in there.

Carla
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9480610

Always know I can count on this crowd when the going gets rough. Just took another stroll. Will loose some but the majority has a chance for recovery. Oddly, I can see nothing wilting in his yard. I didn't see him spraying or I would have stopped him. In view of so many more important things I will withdraw my complaining.

God bless each of you.

Christi
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9480785

I'm so sorry! I keep preaching to my neighbors about using distilled vinegar instead of toxic sprays (and supporting GMOs through Monsanto's-Round Up!). It works just as well, does not harm the micro-organisms in the soil, doesn't affect our groundwater and is around $2.00 per gallon at the grocery store.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9480850

The only problem is that it is an herbicide that stays active in the soil longer then an herbicide. You can't go and plant something else right away and it would still blow away if sprayed in the wind. I wouldn't be happy if my neighbor was spraying either one on a windy day.
leongofmaui
New Braunfels, TX

April 16, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9486228

Have you found a gentle way to educate your neighbor so that this doesn't happen again?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9486308

Hope you have made them aware of the untimely demise. Also did it get your butterfly larva food source? I know you had them along the back fence at one time.
As others have said, let us know if you need some new plants. I expect to see you and give you plants for hugs at the RU next weekend 21st at 1pm!!!
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9486499

Christi, I hope you're coming to the RU. If there's anything you can use, please just ask.

And, yes, I do know how you feel. My neighbor became convinced last year that her many weeds were my fault. Not sure how she reached that conclusion, since hers are twice the size of mine. Couldn't have been THEIR weeds seeding MY yard. So, anyway, she complained about us to another neighbor, who went home and got his poison and came back, came into my yard, and sprayed my thistles. I was horrified when she told me. It wasn't JUST the poison (which I don't use), but that anyone would actually think it was okay to come into my yard and spray, without asking!

Course, the herbicide didn't kill the weeds, but it sure did drift and kill some of my 25-year-old shrubs, which now I have to pay someone to dig out and replace and wait 20 more years for them to reach that size. I'm seriously thinking about sending her the bill.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9486596

That is terrible Patti, some people have the nerve.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9486732

I don't think that's legal, to come on your property and spray. I'm serious. That's weird.

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9487182

Patti, that is just downright wrong. :-(

Carla
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9487610

I thought so too, but wondered if I was over-reacting. I dunno--I've been organic for so long, it's hard for me to remember that a lot of people would actually think they were doing a favor.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9487992

I don't see what organic has to do with it. Nobody has a right to come on your property and spray.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9488021

Horrible! I think the spraying is too much neighborly help. You need to tell that person the consequences of their action. Do they know that they killed your shrubs?
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9488485

Lisa, the organic part comes in because I've been "green" for a long time, going back to the days when you still had to mix all your own organic stuff. I've put in literally hundreds of hours hand-pulling weeds when I could've sprayed them. We just in the last few years finally got the topsoil built up and healthy, and it was a lot of hard work for many years. So, after all that, for someone to come here and cavalierly spray chemicals is as upsetting as the fact that they intruded.

No, I didn't say anything about the bushes. It took them a long time to die and the damage wasn't immediately apparent. Plus, I don't even know the person who did the actual spraying. The real problem is that anyone would treat your yard as an extension of their own. Or, in Christi's case, not give a thought that what they're doing might go beyond their own yard and cause damage to others.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9488583

pbtxlady. I once had a neighbor who sprayed Roundup on a line of newly planted New Dawn climbing roses I had planted along our adjoining fence line. The fence was actually at least a foot onto my property. When I asked him why he would do such a thing he said he did not was the roses attracting bees near where his children played. He and his wife made a point of having their young children play in the front yard. When anyone asked why they would let their young kids play out in the front yard near the street they made a huge point of stating loudly that they couldn't let their children play in their own back yard because of the many bees drawn to the many roses and flowers I had in my back yard. They always stated that they couldn't convince me to get rid of the flowers and that their children were so much more important to them that having a bunch of flowers in the back yard. They never did seem to get that when other people walked or drove away shaking their heads it was because my neighbors and not me looked like nut jobs.

I was soooo glad to move...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9488594

With absolutely no intent to sound discriminatory, my neighbors in question were raised in Mexico. Speak broken English and I don't know if the father (who did the spraying) reads English. That being said almost everything has a double label these days...English/Spanish. When they first moved here 12 years ago I had English Ivy that I had spent years training onto the chain link fence of about 60 feet. He used a weed eater along the fence and cut off all the stems from the roots. I pulled the dead off but the roots never recovered. He is aware that I am very touchy about the fence but apparently didn't know that a liquid goes through the air. They keep their place immaculate and would do anything for Mike and I. I get upset but have to stop and put my priorities in order every now and then.

The happenings in Boston and now West, Texas has me looking twice at all my blessings.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9488613

Pat- I didn't mean that comment the way it sounded. You said that you might be overreacting and then stated that you had been organic for so many years. I just don't think anybody has the right to go on your property and spray, no matter what. It sounds so strange I really can't imagine it. Even if you weren't organic they still didn't have the right to do that, there just isn't an excuse.
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9490189

Oh, I know, Lisa, I didn't think anything about what you said. :) I was just explaining that I was upset by both. But I truly don't think people who aren't organic "get" those of us who are. It's also true that these neighbors do seem to think that they have some kind of ownership rights over what happens on my lot, and after 20 years of it, I know I'm pretty sensitive to most anything they say/do. That's why I wondered if I was overreacting. But--yeah, it still shocks me that someone would take it upon themselves to actually come on the property and spray. (Seriously. We are talking about a couple of thistles behind the a/c.)

Terri, you know, at least the drift that killed my shrubs wasn't intentional. I really can't believe that someone deliberately sprayed the roses that you just paid for and planted on your OWN property. Unless the children are in imminent danger, killing anything in your garden is property damage and way outside the law (not to mention outrageously arrogant). I hope someone has let them know that by now.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9490296

It's funny when I was a kid and lived in the suburbs we pulled weeds my parents never used weed killer but I didn't consider us organic. That's why I didn't understand the connection. Now I live very rural and don't have neighbors who care about weeds. I really don't have a problem with weeds but I think my livestock help too.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9496788

No accounting for some people's children!!! Ah well, I've moved away from them now so life does move on. Now I can have as many roses as I want!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America