-
AuthorContent
sweet_destiny_2
Montego Bay
Jamaica

April 11, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9479917

Good morning lovely people, I want to start sunflower seeds what kind of soil do they love ?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9479951

They will pretty much grow in any soil but like it well drained and dislike salt
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 14, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9483862

I agree about these not being too fussy about soil type, my only thought would be that IF you want to grow the larger flowering type or the tall show type, then these do better in soil that has plenty added humus / compost which gives added nutrients / add air around the roots and also more importantly, help keep the roots cooler and hold moisture just that little bit longer.
These type of larger / taller flowering sunflowers all require a form of support, I use taller garden canes and a soft horticultural twine to tie the stems to the canes but not too tight, or the stems will get crushed.

Dont know IF you have kids but, my Grand-kids make little smiley faces on the open flowers,
to do this, when the larger flowers are open, use tweezers to remove the brown seedheads in the shape of a smile, then a small triangle for nose and 2 circles for eyes, it's fun and the kids will have weeks of pleasure watching the sunflowers smile at them each day, adult are amused too.
Good luck. WeeNel.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9484945

[quote="WeeNel"]

Dont know IF you have kids but, my Grand-kids make little smiley faces on the open flowers,
to do this, when the larger flowers are open, use tweezers to remove the brown seedheads in the shape of a smile, then a small triangle for nose and 2 circles for eyes, it's fun and the kids will have weeks of pleasure watching the sunflowers smile at them each day, adult are amused too.
Good luck. WeeNel.[/quote]

Such a cute idea...something I would have never thought about!

nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

April 17, 2013
9:54 PM

Post #9488073

Sunflowers are hardy and can grow almost anywhere; however, they may not be stable if planted in sandy soil. Sunflowers need a good hold with their roots in order to stand..
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 18, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9488860

The Sunflower Family (Helianthus) is a huge Family and some of these plants do require staking depending on hight, flower size, soil, position as in windy, sheltered ect and normally.
The size of the seeds are a good indication, larger the seed the larger the growth of the plant and that does not only cover hight.

It's always wise to take note of the directions on packet of seeds, or if offered seeds, then ask what kind they are, it helps prevent the wrong plants growing in the wrong situation.
WeeNel.
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9545045

I grow wild sunflowers &/or black seed sunflowers. They are smaller than those sold for human & pet consumption, and their plant is often a bush that has flowers over a long period, rather than a tall, thin, plant with just one large flower on the top, that then dies.

We have heavy clay soil here, but they don't seem to mind.

I put some seeds out for the birds before the seeds on the bushes ripen, so the birds are already hanging around when they are finally ripe for picking. Then, I stop putting out seed, unless & until company is coming & I want there to be a lot of birds in the yard at once!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America