Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: Talisman Rose?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 4, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 12, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9481756

Hello,

My mother, in the '40s, carried Talisman Roses in her wedding bouquet. I would like, at this point in my life, to honor her with growing this lovely rose. Apparently, it is VERY rare!
I am on a wait list for a 2014 Talisman own-root rose, which is fine, but I am wanting to know if anyone has grown this rose and what am I in for?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9488029

Sorry no one has answered your questions as yet.
That's interesting that your mom had it in her bouquet. My mom did, too...same era, 1940's. That's how I came to know about that rose. It was a popular "florist rose" at the time.

There is a "bush" Talisman AND and a "climbing" Talisman...same blooms, just different growth habits.
It was also a popular garden rose for many years. Growing up we had a climbing one which did "OK" but wasn't anything spectacular. We lived near the ocean in So. Cal. and it's one of many roses that doesn't like the damp air, so it was always plagued with rust, mildew, etc.
One of my sisters has one that does really well. She lives way inland away from the fog, dampness etc.

I've seen it listed on online nursery sites.
Try looking on www.helpmefind.com They're a good source.

I think Talisman is one of those older roses that faded into obscurity as growers developed newer ones that resembled it in color and size and had bigger blooms, better disease resistance, etc.

edited for spelling

This message was edited Apr 17, 2013 7:41 PM

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2013
11:25 PM

Post #9488097

Rogue Valley Roses has a climbing one available https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/talisman-cl
or you can go on their waiting list for the regular one.
https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/talisman
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 19, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9489555

Oh, THANK YOU Calif_Sue and JasperDale! What a memory and tribute to my mother! Now, if only I can GROW the lovely rose...I am asking about requirements. There is concern about disease resistance...you may well be right about its finickyness, JasperDale...so, we'll see.
My little cinderblock cottage looks forward to seeing this rose!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9490081

Don't be discouraged by it's tendency to be affected by disease. The one my sister has grows just fine and she is NOT a gardener by any stretch of the imigination. She just happens to live where there's very little fog, damp air, etc. and just happened to plant it in a good spot in her yard.

ANY rose can and will develop disease if the conditions are right, regardless of how "disease resistant" it's purported to be.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America