Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Bark stripped from young Cosmos stems

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

April 13, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9482657

What insect or small mammal is stripping the stem cover or bark from my small Cosmos? Similar appearance to a starving mouse stripping bark from a small tree trunk, but the young Cosmos stems are only 1/8 or 3/16" in diameter.

Ernie
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9482931

Snails, slugs, 'roly poly' and any of several other soil type 'creepy crawlies'.

Make a ring out of stiff cardboard (1/2 gallon milk carton is a great size, just cut it into several rings about 3" high.). Sink it into the soil maybe 1/2" deep around the Cosmos, and let it stick up a few inches.

Check at night with a flashlight.

Roll a few sheets of newspaper into a roll that is somewhere between snug and a bit loose. Set these perhaps a foot or two away from the plants. Leave them overnight. If you want to see what you have trapped, open the roll in the daylight into a bucket. Keep replacing the rolls. Never leave them out two nights in a row. You are trapping, then removing the pests.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

April 13, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9482948

Diana,

I will do as you suggest tomorrow. We do have a lot of slugs and snails in wetter places, but that was so dry on top of the ground, I did not think it could be those. They do have some big Statis close by that would give them plenty of cool shade to hide under.

Thanks,
Ernie
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

April 15, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9484962

Snails were the culprit, as i put out some snail bait and found a lot of dead ones this morning. But without seeing it, i would have had a hard time believing that a full grown snail could climb a 3/'16ths stem and eat the bark all the way around.

The snails have lived under some Statice plants, which they do not harm, and i have not seen any slime tracks, so did not know they were there.

Ernie
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9491873

Snails have a very strong rasping tongue, and are quite capable of damaging plants as you describe. When several of them get together it can be a nightmare. Keep up the bait, eggs will be hatching!
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

April 21, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9492042

Diana,

Thanks, I will do that.

Ernie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America