2013 Central FL Spring R U at Bonnie's in Clermont

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Let's all post our pictures on this thread so it will be easier to find.

Thumbnail by mittsy

I was too busy talking and eating to take any pictures during the actual R U but I have picture of the plants and cuttings that I brought home and I'd like help identifying the ones I don't know. It took about an hour and a half from Cocoa Beach to Bonnie's door. The traffic wasn't bad and we made good time. Here's my plants: Spiral Ginger with an extra Katie's Ruella from Sherri. Four O'clock, assorted succulents I think, can't remember the names, would appreciate help if you know. Cukes.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2013 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

More plants that followed me home: 1. Desert Rose. 2. Moss Rose 3. unknown - foliage looks like it might be a Gerbera Daisy? 4. RicRac cactus with straight up cactus? 5. Zinnia.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2013 4:21 AM

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Now for the cuttings: 1. Blue flowering wandering Jew? 2. ground cover sedum, Jenny's Stonecrop? 3. A bush, Hibiscus? 4. Lantana. 5. Dwarf Chenille.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2013 4:23 AM

More cuttings: 1. Plumbago. 2. Herb, Rosemary. 3.Simpson stopper? This had small orange fruits and has a very pretty and fragrant white blossom. It smelled like an orange blossom. 4. Unknown cutting. 5. Unknown bush with bright red flowers.

The tower that Erin and Tarzie brought was a marvel and so nice that it was made in the US in TN. I hope we'll have a lot of pictures to share.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

4 oclocl will die back completely but will come back in spring and get quite large.
portulacca is actually moss rose and grows wild here.
loves's lies bleeding is actually dwarf chanele plant and a great ground cover and spreads like crazy
Got to go back and blow up the rest larger.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Wish I could be of more help. Only one I didn't label was the moss rose. Good luck with them all.

You have plants I didn't even see lucky you. I know they all should be labeled but sometimes we get in a hurry when potting them up. Most of mine I grew from seed and labeled them as I did it but the weather wore a coupld of the popsicle sticks clean off. Thanks so much for the pics Mittsy.

I really need one of those pens they use at the nursery that don't wash off. Anybody know where I can buy one?

Bonnie

Jacksonville, FL

Bonnie,
DW uses China Markers. She uses them on white vinyl blinds she cuts into 12 inch pieces, the tags don't smear, rain won't wash the writing off and the sun doesn't fade it..

Thanks for the help, I've edited my posts to correct the names.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Mittsy, the spiral is one of the plants I brought and I noticed the extra in there, pretty sure it is probably, Katie's Ruella, I have pink and lilac so it could be either one. They pop up all over my garden, but find the pots with good soil...http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38186/

-Sherri

Bonnie did a terrific job with the round up this year. I really love her garden, so tranquil and I'm surely going back to visit this wonderful lady when we can sit a spell by her pond sipping a cool drink. Thank you Bonnie for all your hard work and it was nice to meet some of Dave's Gardens peeps.

I took many pictures of Bonnie's garden and a few shots of the round up guest....so here we go....
-Sherri

My Jeep loaded and ready to go with plants.
Erin's Tower garden the last four pictures (tarziesgirl)

This message was edited Apr 15, 2013 9:53 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Plants for trade and Bonnie had lots of goodies for us in the second photo.
Third photo is Bonnie's cow pasture, see the cows way out there under the tree.
Bonnie's garden and
Our beautiful host "Bonnie". in her garden

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Bonnie's sunset vine, what a beautiful flower. Shots from Bonnie's wonderful little paradise garden.

Bonnie's garden angel, I'm sorry forgot her name, koi in the pond, and one of the ponds.

The ponds, they sit side by side with a nice dock between them, all nicely shaded by an overhead tree...what could be nicer.

More garden shots and the food, really yummy food...and look at those hard workers make it all so nice for us. Thanks to all of them, think most were Bonnie's family.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2013 10:44 AM

Some of the round up guest, sorry didn't get everybody in the photos.
I'm not sure of everybody, first picture I know on the left is tarzie (tarziegirl's husband) But sorry not sure the other couple, Bonnie can help me here.
second photo is Amaryllisgal's hubby.
The last is Sugarweed (Sidney), Amarillisgal (Norma) and shauna1219 (Shauna).

We did miss all those that couldn't make it.

Thanks to the Lord for the beautiful weather we had...couldn't of asked for a nicer day.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Glad to see Sidney looking so well!!!! Glad the weather cooperated for you guys.

Oops I missed some... yellow cestrum in Bonnie's garden, and CHINESE LANTERN(Flowering Maple) flowers, what a cool plant it is. Another garden shot and Norma checking out the tower garden.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Wonderful pictures - everyone is so beautiful!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

It was a beautiful day full of beautiful people!

Came home with more than I left with (much to my hubby's dismay...LOL)! Spent the rest of the night, rooting the cuttings and planting what needed to be planted. In retrospect; I wish I would have gotten more of the bromeliads. Planted them as a deterrent against my dogs (and kid) who like to take a short cut through one of my flower beds. They run through it and trample the little Mexican Hat Plant babies trying to grow there. Let's see then dodge a 2 foot tall bromeliad! I didn't get the name of them, but was I think it was Aechmea Bromeliad; Aechmea blanchetiana. Can anyone confirm?

Woke up Sunday morning and the Morning Glory had bloomed...got an ugly chain-link fence that plant will look really good on (and a not so nice looking neighbors yard to block).

Thanks again Bonnie!

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219
High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks to everyone who took photos, since I totally neglected to do so. :p

Shauna, that is an absolutely perfect picture of Bonnie! She's such a sweetheart, isn't she?

Edited to say:
Oops, Sherri took the picture, sorry for mixing up the names!

This message was edited Apr 15, 2013 1:29 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie is a sweet heart and wonderful person!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

I can see I missed a great deal at Bonnies on Saturday and I will make it a point to stop by there and take the fifty cent tour on my way to or from Jax.
Bonnie is an awesome ball of energy and has a gorgeous home and ranch there in her little corner of Paradise.
She also has a wonderful family that pitches in and makes everyone feel special. I noticed both her daughter and son-in-law had "Christians In Action" t-shirts on and I believe they travel all over the world helping where they are needed. If I'm wrong Bonnie will let me know I'm sure.
All I can say is it's a real shame that more didn't take the opportunity to come and we missed you.
I will try and have a South Fl. RU in the fall and that way we can get what we want for our wonderful winter gardens in the warmer zones.
Bonnie I want to thank you so much for everything!
Sidney
PS I reckon from those pictures I need to start holding my stomach in really tight and counting to 10. I am getting a belly.

Sidney you're a lovely person and I'm glad I got to sit a spell and chit chat with you. I didn't take very many plants home since I have no room for anymore, but did plant the Aloes you gave me last night right before the rains hit. They look very happy in their new home...thanks for bringing them.

My morning glory that Bonnie gave me had a beautiful flower this morning also, and I think it grew six inches last night. ☺

That rain was a good thing because some of my wilted clippings look nice and perky today.

-Sherri

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

After spending the day with all you wonderful people and getting some wonderful plants, I followed it by going to the USF spring plant sale on Sunday. I chuckled quietly to myself, when I saw vendors selling some of the same plants a top dollar, that we were trading amongst ourselves. Example, $20-30 for the same sized Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow that Bonnie dug up for me.

BTW, for those of you that got a desert rose; I asked a vendor about the growth rate of them while at the plant sale. They informed me that a desert rose plant is a slow grower and the plants that they were selling (which were your average sized plants); were around 7-8 years old.

Sherri, thanks again for the passi cuttings!

-Shauna

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Sherri.

Your beautiful photographs are something I will be looking at again a time or two. You really outdid yourself with those photos. Thank you for sharing your fun and informative pictures too Mittsy from Syracuse NY!!!...? Ha!....that was a surprise and you went home with some great Florida Stuff!

Bonnie though,

You really do have the most comfortable, appealing, natural and organized of gardens. They are happy and I can see the love that has gone into them. You look like family to me Giovanna, ( I can see the Italian! ) and so did the whole group. Your table and the food looked so much like the family reunion I only lasted two hours at this year,...but thats another story. ( Once all the older family and the ones you actually grew up with no longer come,...the strange faces seem less interesting. Great food though...) See! At least I would have had gardening to share with you guys! Shame on me...

Your ponds are very special too. You really do it all well! ( Did I already tell you that a few times and then some! )

Thank you even though I wasn't there, and it was great seeing you all.
Looking forward to seeing any and all of the pics any others may have taken of Bonnie's beautiful world this early Spring too...

Was that Lucifer Crocosmia already blooming that you photo'ed Mittsy? Mine are just starting!

Keep up the good works! {:-)

David

I was told they were Freesia.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Mittsy, yes - your first photo is Freesia - beautiful!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I'm so sad I couldn't make it! It looks like Bonnie was once again, a wonderful hostess! I hope you all had a wonderful time!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Mittsy, I'm glad you enjoyed my garden that I got to share with you all! Thank you Sherri for all the photos you took and shared! So nice to meet everyone who was able to come. I'll share the only photo I snapped here. I shared it on one of the other posts about the RU. It is of my Tower and my hubby. I shared the cookie cake recipe over there too. Thanks again Bonnie for playing host!

Thumbnail by tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I forgot to mention how cool your tower garden is Erin!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you very much David! I think they're cool too! :)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Someone asked:That was Mitsy & Jack from upstate New York sitting oppoosite Tarzie.
Sidney: My dgt. & SIL don't travel all over the world for Christ but they sure do a lot in the US. She works full time for prison system but takes off for mission trips. He is sub contractor for FMC Corp. and works all over the world when they send him. They are planing to use their 100 acre home site to mentor at risk boys when they both retire in 3 yrs. Hate to brag but I am very proud of them. They live near Madison, Fl. It was her youngest dgt. Kaley that was taking care of the food for me. The blond fella Jerome is also from my church that was parking cars and helping with anything I asked him to.
Thank God for such a helpful group.
David how did you know what my real name is??? Yes I am 1/2 Italian and 1/2 English. What a combination!!. I'm sorry you and Merry Mary missed it. We had so many plants it was great. The folks I gave clippers to and told them take what they wanted for cuttings seemed very happy. Melanie brought me so many clipings took me all Sun. afternoon to get them ptted up. Many things I never had but alwlays wanted. Gave their little girl a shubunkin so she seemed happy.
I'm sorry ponds hadn't been cleaned but will get that done shortly. Fish were visable and kids enjoyed feeding them.
Thank you so much to all who took pictures. I had my camera outside but never picked it up once. I slept that night like a baby.
Sidney if you have a RU in fall you can bet I'll be there. BTW put all those lovely coleus in their own pots. I had your brug potted up and forgot to give it to you so stop by when your between homes and I'll give you a very large one that is growing now.
Shauna & Jim I am sorry you got lost. Your GPS musts have been dippy. We figured out where you were and years ago there was a road that cut thru groves from Boys Ranch Rd. right to our road. You would never have made it thru there as its all soft sand. When you come again and I hope you will just stay on 33 until you see sign for Pine Island Rd.
Plant Thang-thank you for marker hint. I will get some china markers.
THANKS TO ALL WHO CAME I SO ENJOYED YOU ALL.
Bonnie

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie (and all....) I'm so sorry to have missed what seems to have been such a wonderful event. I absolutely LOVE events, people, and plants (and cooking for events!) Thanks to all of you who are sharing pictures, so I feel like I was there. It's so wonderful to see everyone!

Bonnie.....maybe we can do a pond, water garden, water /tropical plant round-up later in the year.... I think that would be so much fun !

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

M Mary,
Sounds like a plan. Count me in. I could also bring some shubunkins to give away.

Oh BTW Mittsy brought 3 more water lillies with her all the way from NY. We added them to other one which she told me was not dead. I'm really looking forward to seeing them bloom one day. Thanks Mittsy.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

You told us your name in another thread Bonnie. (Maybe on T2T?) You said others had a hard time saying it...

David

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie, now that we know where you live...there are no more trips down sandy roads, behind orange groves! LOL BTW, that Morning Glory I got form you has doubled in size since the RU and the Yesterday. Today and Tomorrow seems to be happy in its new pot and has already blessed me with flowers.

Mittsy gave me a couple of her water lilies too and I planted them in an old metal wash tub we had for collecting rain water. We put a water filter in there and now hubby and I are now discussing ways to turn that into a waterfall to run into the turtle pond.

-Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

David, someday I hope to hear you pronounce it. My mom being English nicknamed me Bonnie from day 1. It's even on my bank acct. LOL

Shauna,
I'm so glad you finally made it here. Sorry about getting stuck in the sand.
The YTT has such a lovely fragrance. What you saw out front in parking area spread by themselves. I only planted 1 originally. I really like them and hope it does very well for you. All I put in the pots with the MG seeds was wood chips, peat moss and cow manure when I planted them. They did quite well. I still have a couple I can put in my hanging pots.All the clippings that Melanie brought and seeds Sherri brought are planted. The brown paperbag someone brought with coontie seeds are planted all the way across end of pool. Someone else broght rooted coontie plants and they are also planted in pots until I figure out where they are going. I'm sure some will make it so I'm tickeled.

I noticed you all have a Sante Fe like I drive but I don't think I'll take it bahaing in the groves. LOL My kids and I used to do that years ago with an old rail their father built. Sure was fun.

Take care and when you have a weekend off come back up and bring your son as he might like swimming and I'm working on getting the pool in good shape right now. Thanks much for not giving up getting here. Sure enjoyed having you all.
Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie,

No more bahaing in the orange groves! That was one adventure I would not want to repeat. LOL Even after getting stuck, there was no way we were turning around...not after making it that far!

It was so great to come out and meet you and I am sure my son have a blast at your house; between the pool, the fish, the cows and the tractor...he would be in "hog heaven". Once we got home, it took me the rest of the weekend to take care of all the plants that I came home with. My grandmother came over Sunday to look at the new plants and commented that she used to have a YTT that she never got to see bloom. I can't wait till the one we got from you really gets going and she gets the opportunity to see all the bloom colors!

Shauna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images