Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lilred78
Elgin, IL

April 14, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9483755

Hello everyone I am very new to gardening I would like to start a vegetable garden to help my family food budget but need some help.
1) I don't know what i can start to plant right now I live in IL.
2) What would be easy veggies to begin with for a newbie and what do you guys think about container planting to start with.
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

April 14, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9484154

what kinds of vegies does your family like? I think cucumbers and zucchini are easy to grow, also green beans. But I don't think they would do well in containers.
RamblingChicken
Ashland, OR

April 14, 2013
11:46 PM

Post #9484306

Tomatoes, from purchased plants (growing them from seed isn't so easy), are pretty easy, produce a lot of food, and can also be grown in large pots. Cucumbers and zucchini are also pretty easy to grow and produce a lot of food, but I don't know about growing them in containers. Raspberries are quite easy to grow, but you'll want to grow them in the ground. They don't produce a ton of food, but they are a pretty expensive food. Peppers grow just fine in containers, but they're not nearly as productive as tomatoes.

Lettuce is easy to grow from purchased seedlings. Kale is, too, and you can harvest it for a longer time. And it's not too hard to grow them from seed, either.

Perennial herbs are _very_ easy to grow from purchased seedlings. If you buy fresh herbs, you could save some money by growing your own. But again, I think that they should grow in the ground. Rosemary, in particular, is prone to dying if it's the least bit unhappy about the water situation; it's better off in the ground where it can be kept dry but not bone-dry; it's hard to achieve that in a pot.

Edited to add: Beans are indeed pretty easy to grow, but to produce much, you want at least a couple of dozen plants, in the ground.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2013 10:48 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9484813

You can plant all sorts of things in containers. Check out the self-contained vegetable gardens thread. Here's my pictorial instructions on how to construct an eBucket. It has a self-watering reservoir (you have to keep it filled, but the veggies access all the water they want/need, when they want/need to!)

I've grown all sorts of veggies in these, and, very successfully. Last season I grew green beans with a wire tomato trellis stuck into the bucket. LOTS of beans!

Also, your water HOGGING veggies will appreciate the reservoir. You will, too, for when you get too busy (or forget) to go water. Just keep that reservoir filled.

Eggplants, okra, bell peppers, smaller tomato plants, cucumber vines (Make sure you put a trellis up for them to climb on, or start them in the eBucket and let them climb up on a trellis next to the bucket), can all be grown in eBuckets.

Finally, if you find buckets for FREE (find a hamburger joint to get free pickle buckets, or a bakery has icing buckets, side of the road even...), the average cost to build an eBucket is $1.60. Buy 10' lengths of 1/2" PVC pipe at Orange or Blue (HD or Lowes), and cut it into 22"-24" lengths. Get your colanders at the $ Store, or Dollar Tree, etc. CHEAP is the operative. Just make sure you give it the colander test before you buy it (see the pictorial).

I no longer use them exclusively, since I had the opportunity to build raised beds when I moved. But, there are still some veggies that I would prefer to grow in an eBucket (eggplants).

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9484819

Here are a few more pics of my last eBucket garden:

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9484828

And, here are my very favorite eBucket photos!

#1 is me holding the cabbage in pic #5
#2 is my Black Beauty eggplant (that eggplant is about 10" tall)
#3 is the eBucket garden at my DH's house
#4 is "My Three Sisters," a grouping of purple cabbages
#5 is the very first thing I ever grew in an eBucket.

I grew that cabbage for NINE months, through the Texas heat of summer, through fall and winter, and finally picked it after it split the following spring! Nobody had educated me on veggie gardening.

Then, I joined Dave's, and learned, learned, learned!

And, I KEEP on learning something new, every day!

Welcome to the Garden!

Linda

This message was edited Apr 15, 2013 10:13 AM

lilred78
Elgin, IL

April 15, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9485142

Thank you guys for all of your guys advice so far, gymgirl thanks for the idea going to go and get me some today. My family like all veggies.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9485213

Lilred78,
You're very welcome!

Make it fun for your kids and give them each their own eBucket to handle. Make a friendly competition (grow the same type of veggie for the competition, so it'll be fair!).

Linda

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America