Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: 3 questions

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9483832

Image #1 What is with these purple coneflowers blooming barely out of the ground. This also happened to a couple of rudbeckias.

Image #2 The plant in the center is a weed isn't it?

Image #3 These two honeysuckles were planted at the same time last fall. The one on the left has bloomed since February. The one one the right has never bloomed. There isn't a male and female honeysuckle is there? If so, the male is going back to the nursery!!

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9483949

More questions. Are the coneflowers and the Rudbeckias hybrids ? If native, how were they propagated? and In what kind of soil and amendments were they grown? It looks like their DNA is messed up somehow. Im not an expert so that's just my .02.

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9484892

Image #2, the plant in the center looks like a tree sapling of some sort.

Carla

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9485110

#1 Sometimes coneflowers get a disease called The Yellows and the plants get deformed, best to dispose of it.
#2 Looks like Giant Ragweed to me.
#3 I looked around and couldn't find whether Coral Honeysuckle is dioecious or not, bust keep it and see what happens.

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9486582

Thanks for the answers. I have been so busy outside that I haven't had a chance to read DG much. I have pulled the ragweed, will be patient with the honeysuckle and am waiting to see if any other purple coneflowers bloom like this first one. Will keep a watchful eye for another.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9488309

I would remove the coneflower as frostweed suggested so if it is diseased it won't spread.

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9495722

Good news!!! I have pulled the ragweed, the second honeysuckle has buds, and I dug up the coneflower. The other coneflowers seem to be growing normal stems before they bloom. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America